Next iPhone to have at least a 4" screen, says Wall Street Journal, display production starts in June
0. phoneArena posted on 16 May 2012, 06:40
The production of those displays has apparently been poised to start next month, which makes sense if Apple would want to put it all together towards the end of the summer. The WSJ report did not pinpoint a screen size, but the sources have mentioned it will be no less than 4"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. kshell1 posted on 16 May 2012, 07:01 16 6
Ever since i got my epic 4g touch a few months ago i have to have a minimum of 4.5"
16. andro. posted on 16 May 2012, 08:44 9 1
Agreed,ive seen many customers who used the galaxy s2,galaxy nexus or phones with similar size screens and now they couldn't bare going back to the old tiny iphone screen. Even the 4 inch screen could be too much of a step back.
Its like your 47 inch tv breaking down and you have to try use a 28 inch replacement!
23. kshell1 posted on 16 May 2012, 09:12 4 1
If i had to use a 4" phone or 28" in place of my 48" i wouldn't know what to do. I need my large screen for my xbox.
41. gallitoking posted on 16 May 2012, 14:59 1 9
careful when you fall for backpedaling.. Andro
49. GENARAL.LEVY (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 17:18 0 2
Careful or ule end-up deep into there trap.... galli.
51. gallitoking posted on 16 May 2012, 17:28 1 1
true I will be careful thanks
4. angelesmec posted on 16 May 2012, 07:12 8 1
4.0'' to 4.5'' with less bezel is the ideal size.
5. KEVlN posted on 16 May 2012, 07:13 11 7
I laugh at iPhones now a days. Back in 2010 the size was perfect but its 2012 now... A screen size increase is obvious for the next generation iPhone. They couldn't honestly be thinking of keeping the iPhone at 3.5"... Even 4 inches is too small for most. They should consider 4.5"-4.7" if they want people to switch to the iPhone. Screen size is a big reason why people don't go with the iPhone.
14. -box- posted on 16 May 2012, 08:30 1 2
Not even 2010... The Galaxy S series, Droid, Evo, and a few others were already out with larger screens in 2010. In 2008/2009 the 3.5" was ok, at latest
22. jwl3429 posted on 16 May 2012, 09:04 7 3
Apple has a huge market share i don't think they are out to get people with 4.8" android phones to switch, they only need to make current iphone owners happy. my guess is that the average i phone owner does not want a 4.8" screen.
12. PhoneArenaUser posted on 16 May 2012, 08:17 11 5
"...Apple wants to stay on top."
Apple already not on top.
39. mas11 posted on 16 May 2012, 14:44 3 3
Yep Samsung is the world's largest phone manufacturer
66. mas11 posted on 17 May 2012, 16:42 1 0
I love how I get thumbed down for stating a fact, there are some really stupid people here. If anybody doesn't believe me, here is a link.
7. jagroopdeol posted on 16 May 2012, 07:20 4 2
i think the next iphone will be iPhone 4GS with same the body of iphone 4 but with 4g connectivity..
9. -RVM- posted on 16 May 2012, 07:33 0 0
Nah. 4G networks are available only in certain countries, so it wouldn't be any improvement for most of global market. They have to bring some more new features.
29. theoak posted on 16 May 2012, 10:26 1 0
Apple has released the iPad with LTE, that is only available in certain countries.
I can't see why Apple would not do that for the iPhone.
8. metoyou posted on 16 May 2012, 07:28 0 0
Hope SJ didn't hear this news otherwise he will knock out his coffin and bitch slap his ichildren like a mad woman and call them "traitor"
4'2-4'5 is the best spot !
10. Captain_Doug posted on 16 May 2012, 08:02 3 0
Being specific, A phone that is 2.5" wide and no more than 5" tall is ideal. Thickness isn't really an issue anymore but no more than .4".
13. maverick786us posted on 16 May 2012, 08:19 2 1
Apple's idea is insane. Its never anyone's priority to use the whole screen with single hand. I always use both hands while typing or dialing numbers. which is 4 times faster. So making a small screen size to make it operate with one hand makes no sense
15. -box- posted on 16 May 2012, 08:34 0 0
It's a feature to use it one handed. If someone has to use the other hand, it means they'd have to put down their starbuckdoublemochiattolatesupershot and hipster mesenger bag to use their phone, which was already closer to their face than the drink due to the tiny screen size. If they were to use more than one hand, they'd be holding it wrong
21. andro. posted on 16 May 2012, 08:56 0 2
Stats have shown that Apple main buyer base are preteens and teenagers,most of them have smaller hands,large screen would be unsuitable for these.
24. kshell1 posted on 16 May 2012, 09:16 0 1
Im 15 and i can't stand to use the iphone, not enough features for me, to small of a screen, the glass is fragile, and I don't like being part of the crowd.
25. AppleConspiracy posted on 16 May 2012, 09:22 0 1
And those teenagers are actually businessmen, right?
27. kshell1 posted on 16 May 2012, 09:40 0 1
lol good one.
30. taco50 (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 12:07 2 6
Actually stats show iPhone dominates in business. Also iPhone users tend to be older, more educated and wealthier along with more techy.
Studies show the average age for android users is 14-24. Android users are drawn in by cheap phones and free apps. This fits the age group because 14-24 are usually broke.
32. kshell1 posted on 16 May 2012, 12:18 0 2
Im 15 as i said and im not usually broke, i take apart computers and re sell the parts or just fix them then sell them. I work unlike most my age and i get roughly $300 a week because i work in a woodworking shop w my dad. in the process i have a e4gt, a g2x, a mytouch 4g slide, a kyocera echo, a evo 4g, an infuse 4g, and several more. my point proven i am not broke.
33. taco50 (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 12:22 3 6
You're not the average 15 year old. Most people your age have no income and even young adults are usually broke because they're not established.
60. InspectorGadget80 posted on 16 May 2012, 19:36 0 1
Learn to respect what people purchase or how much they make. NOT EVERY YOUNG ADULTS ARE BROKE JACK A$$
52. GENARAL.LEVY (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 17:32 0 1
Stats shows iphone are for basic users and are for show offs. Android are for more advance technical users.....
56. gallitoking posted on 16 May 2012, 18:26 1 0
ohh you mean geeks. well no worries geeks are only 1% of the population
62. kshell1 posted on 17 May 2012, 06:36 0 0
thanks for the compliment i enjoy being a geek. im different, makes me happy.
17. cncrim posted on 16 May 2012, 08:51 1 2
iphone 5 will stay 3.5 inches, new body design, better and faster graphic, and new map. 1gb ram, nfc everything else is still the same. keep in mind apple model think diffirent and simplicity.
18. AppleConspiracy posted on 16 May 2012, 08:51 0 1
Is there any evidence that Apple (or Steve Jobs) wanted exclusively 3.5-inch screen beacuse it could be easily reachable with thumb in one-handed operation?
I'm asking this because it's contradictory to the whole screen philosophy of iPhone at the first place - to use technology by using two fingers (pinch-to-zoom and other gestures), which could be almost impossible with one-hand operation. Besides, it's not in the spirit of smartphone concept anyway.
The more probable reason is technological deadlock of Apple's puristic approach to standards they establish - they got away with Retina in 2010, but now they are stuck with 3.5-inchers because otherwise they must sacrifice on of their most important postulates - app resolution compatibility or over-300ppi resolution. Now they have no choice but to change these standards, and last time they got away when they introduced iPhone 4S was thanks to this absurd theory of one-hand operation.
19. mercorp posted on 16 May 2012, 08:52 1 2
If the iphone 5 is going to come with a 5 or bigger inch screen,it will be amazing.and samsung will sue.
20. andro. posted on 16 May 2012, 08:53 3 0
4 inch is considered kinda small these days but its about time apple is making an attempt to keep up. The interesting thing to see is will apple still keep the outdated square screen aspect ratio design or go for the current hd standard of a 16:9 aspect screen
26. APPLE_R0YALLY (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 09:25 3 3
We Say™ if this is the real iPhone, it will cause a collateral damage.....!?
We Think™ this changes everything.....!? EYE™ WE® the fans, ROYALLYS™ the users, can't
Wait.....!? We™ thanks Apple once yet again.....!? We® are
28. imkyle posted on 16 May 2012, 10:23 0 0
They need to start releasing the phone in the summer time like they did with models 1-4. Being released in the fall is a bummer.
31. taco50 (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 12:11 2 7
Wow almost every comment here is an android troll. It's sad PA allows this.
Back to reality a 4inch screen would be a nice upgrade. Most people aren't interested in giant tablet phones. I'm looking forward to a 4" screen, LTE, and some nice sw updates like Siri updates and the new iOS maps we were reading about.
I know the new iPhone launch will be a dark dark day for andro, remix and the like.
34. E.N. posted on 16 May 2012, 12:41 3 0
Agreed. But hey it wouldn't be iPhone season without Android users hating. I love this time of year, lol
35. taco50 (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 13:05 6 4
I just don't understand what drives people with irrational hate to the point they post on Apple articles daily. I mean it's become a part of their daily lives to announce how they hate Apple. It's a very strange phenomenon.
36. PhoneArenaUser posted on 16 May 2012, 13:08 2 2
"I mean it's become a part of their daily lives to announce how they hate Apple."
And your daily lives to announce how you love Apple. So, what the problem?
Maybe they don't want to hide their feelings. :)
37. taco50 (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 13:14 2 4
I mostly just rebutt your nonsense with facts and then you guys freak out.
38. PhoneArenaUser posted on 16 May 2012, 13:25 1 2
The same I can say for you, but you just ignore the facts. :)
44. EclipseGSX posted on 16 May 2012, 16:39 1 2
then stop rebutting
48. KOUROS (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 17:15 0 2
Yea. Stop rebutting.
55. gallitoking posted on 16 May 2012, 17:39 2 0
we both are guilty but at least in thsi article since is Apple the ball is in our court.. so more than welcome to leave.. fandroids...
45. tedkord posted on 16 May 2012, 17:05 1 2
BS. You very often throw the first salvo in Android articles, usually with made up facts and lies. You are exactly like the iPhone haters you're crying about.
46. KOUROS (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 17:12 2 0
True and the fandroids love doing this.
54. GENARAL.LEVY (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 17:35 1 0
We all. everyone knows that.
53. GENARAL.LEVY (banned) posted on 16 May 2012, 17:33 2 0
59. InspectorGadget80 posted on 16 May 2012, 19:34 0 2
It's sad that PA allows you to bash every Android article with some false statements you put out every day
42. MobileCaseReview posted on 16 May 2012, 15:25 0 1
A lot of folks are complaining 4 inches is too small. I feel 4.7 inches is too small. 5.3 inches is perfect!