Next iPhone to have at least a 4" screen, says Wall Street Journal, display production starts in June
0. phoneArena 16 May 2012, 06:40 posted on
The production of those displays has apparently been poised to start next month, which makes sense if Apple would want to put it all together towards the end of the summer. The WSJ report did not pinpoint a screen size, but the sources have mentioned it will be no less than 4"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. fongy (Posts: 41; Member since: 09 Feb 2010)
Innovation at its best.... a 4" screen.. wow....
3. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Ever since i got my epic 4g touch a few months ago i have to have a minimum of 4.5"
16. andro. (Posts: 1971; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Agreed,ive seen many customers who used the galaxy s2,galaxy nexus or phones with similar size screens and now they couldn't bare going back to the old tiny iphone screen. Even the 4 inch screen could be too much of a step back.
Its like your 47 inch tv breaking down and you have to try use a 28 inch replacement!
23. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
If i had to use a 4" phone or 28" in place of my 48" i wouldn't know what to do. I need my large screen for my xbox.
41. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
careful when you fall for backpedaling.. Andro
49. GENARAL.LEVY (banned) (Posts: 93; Member since: 17 Apr 2012)
Careful or ule end-up deep into there trap.... galli.
4. angelesmec (unregistered)
4.0'' to 4.5'' with less bezel is the ideal size.
5. KEVlN (Posts: 83; Member since: 19 Aug 2011)
I laugh at iPhones now a days. Back in 2010 the size was perfect but its 2012 now... A screen size increase is obvious for the next generation iPhone. They couldn't honestly be thinking of keeping the iPhone at 3.5"... Even 4 inches is too small for most. They should consider 4.5"-4.7" if they want people to switch to the iPhone. Screen size is a big reason why people don't go with the iPhone.
14. -box- (Posts: 3864; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Not even 2010... The Galaxy S series, Droid, Evo, and a few others were already out with larger screens in 2010. In 2008/2009 the 3.5" was ok, at latest
22. jwl3429 (Posts: 36; Member since: 28 Sep 2009)
Apple has a huge market share i don't think they are out to get people with 4.8" android phones to switch, they only need to make current iphone owners happy. my guess is that the average i phone owner does not want a 4.8" screen.
12. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"...Apple wants to stay on top."
Apple already not on top.
39. mas11 (Posts: 1032; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Yep Samsung is the world's largest phone manufacturer
66. mas11 (Posts: 1032; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I love how I get thumbed down for stating a fact, there are some really stupid people here. If anybody doesn't believe me, here is a link.
7. jagroopdeol (Posts: 3; Member since: 05 May 2012)
i think the next iphone will be iPhone 4GS with same the body of iphone 4 but with 4g connectivity..
9. -RVM- (Posts: 329; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Nah. 4G networks are available only in certain countries, so it wouldn't be any improvement for most of global market. They have to bring some more new features.
29. theoak (Posts: 320; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Apple has released the iPad with LTE, that is only available in certain countries.
I can't see why Apple would not do that for the iPhone.
8. metoyou (Posts: 277; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Hope SJ didn't hear this news otherwise he will knock out his coffin and bitch slap his ichildren like a mad woman and call them "traitor"
4'2-4'5 is the best spot !
10. Captain_Doug (Posts: 784; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Being specific, A phone that is 2.5" wide and no more than 5" tall is ideal. Thickness isn't really an issue anymore but no more than .4".
13. maverick786us (Posts: 127; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Apple's idea is insane. Its never anyone's priority to use the whole screen with single hand. I always use both hands while typing or dialing numbers. which is 4 times faster. So making a small screen size to make it operate with one hand makes no sense
15. -box- (Posts: 3864; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
It's a feature to use it one handed. If someone has to use the other hand, it means they'd have to put down their starbuckdoublemochiattolatesupershot and hipster mesenger bag to use their phone, which was already closer to their face than the drink due to the tiny screen size. If they were to use more than one hand, they'd be holding it wrong
21. andro. (Posts: 1971; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Stats have shown that Apple main buyer base are preteens and teenagers,most of them have smaller hands,large screen would be unsuitable for these.
24. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Im 15 and i can't stand to use the iphone, not enough features for me, to small of a screen, the glass is fragile, and I don't like being part of the crowd.
25. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 636; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
And those teenagers are actually businessmen, right?
30. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Actually stats show iPhone dominates in business. Also iPhone users tend to be older, more educated and wealthier along with more techy.
Studies show the average age for android users is 14-24. Android users are drawn in by cheap phones and free apps. This fits the age group because 14-24 are usually broke.
32. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Im 15 as i said and im not usually broke, i take apart computers and re sell the parts or just fix them then sell them. I work unlike most my age and i get roughly $300 a week because i work in a woodworking shop w my dad. in the process i have a e4gt, a g2x, a mytouch 4g slide, a kyocera echo, a evo 4g, an infuse 4g, and several more. my point proven i am not broke.
33. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You're not the average 15 year old. Most people your age have no income and even young adults are usually broke because they're not established.
60. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6684; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Learn to respect what people purchase or how much they make. NOT EVERY YOUNG ADULTS ARE BROKE JACK A$$
52. GENARAL.LEVY (banned) (Posts: 93; Member since: 17 Apr 2012)
Stats shows iphone are for basic users and are for show offs. Android are for more advance technical users.....
56. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
ohh you mean geeks. well no worries geeks are only 1% of the population
62. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
thanks for the compliment i enjoy being a geek. im different, makes me happy.
17. cncrim (Posts: 531; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
iphone 5 will stay 3.5 inches, new body design, better and faster graphic, and new map. 1gb ram, nfc everything else is still the same. keep in mind apple model think diffirent and simplicity.
18. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 636; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Is there any evidence that Apple (or Steve Jobs) wanted exclusively 3.5-inch screen beacuse it could be easily reachable with thumb in one-handed operation?
I'm asking this because it's contradictory to the whole screen philosophy of iPhone at the first place - to use technology by using two fingers (pinch-to-zoom and other gestures), which could be almost impossible with one-hand operation. Besides, it's not in the spirit of smartphone concept anyway.
The more probable reason is technological deadlock of Apple's puristic approach to standards they establish - they got away with Retina in 2010, but now they are stuck with 3.5-inchers because otherwise they must sacrifice on of their most important postulates - app resolution compatibility or over-300ppi resolution. Now they have no choice but to change these standards, and last time they got away when they introduced iPhone 4S was thanks to this absurd theory of one-hand operation.
19. mercorp (Posts: 975; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
If the iphone 5 is going to come with a 5 or bigger inch screen,it will be amazing.and samsung will sue.
20. andro. (Posts: 1971; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
4 inch is considered kinda small these days but its about time apple is making an attempt to keep up. The interesting thing to see is will apple still keep the outdated square screen aspect ratio design or go for the current hd standard of a 16:9 aspect screen
26. APPLE_R0YALLY (banned) (Posts: 73; Member since: 08 May 2012)
We Say™ if this is the real iPhone, it will cause a collateral damage.....!?
We Think™ this changes everything.....!? EYE™ WE® the fans, ROYALLYS™ the users, can't
Wait.....!? We™ thanks Apple once yet again.....!? We® are
28. imkyle (Posts: 1020; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
They need to start releasing the phone in the summer time like they did with models 1-4. Being released in the fall is a bummer.
31. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Wow almost every comment here is an android troll. It's sad PA allows this.
Back to reality a 4inch screen would be a nice upgrade. Most people aren't interested in giant tablet phones. I'm looking forward to a 4" screen, LTE, and some nice sw updates like Siri updates and the new iOS maps we were reading about.
I know the new iPhone launch will be a dark dark day for andro, remix and the like.
34. E.N. (Posts: 2357; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Agreed. But hey it wouldn't be iPhone season without Android users hating. I love this time of year, lol
35. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I just don't understand what drives people with irrational hate to the point they post on Apple articles daily. I mean it's become a part of their daily lives to announce how they hate Apple. It's a very strange phenomenon.
36. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"I mean it's become a part of their daily lives to announce how they hate Apple."
And your daily lives to announce how you love Apple. So, what the problem?
Maybe they don't want to hide their feelings. :)
37. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I mostly just rebutt your nonsense with facts and then you guys freak out.
38. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
The same I can say for you, but you just ignore the facts. :)
55. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
we both are guilty but at least in thsi article since is Apple the ball is in our court.. so more than welcome to leave.. fandroids...
45. tedkord (Posts: 5129; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
BS. You very often throw the first salvo in Android articles, usually with made up facts and lies. You are exactly like the iPhone haters you're crying about.
46. KOUROS (banned) (Posts: 36; Member since: 25 Apr 2012)
True and the fandroids love doing this.
59. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6684; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
It's sad that PA allows you to bash every Android article with some false statements you put out every day
40. mas11 (Posts: 1032; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
That's nice 4" screens will change everything
42. MobileCaseReview (Posts: 241; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
A lot of folks are complaining 4 inches is too small. I feel 4.7 inches is too small. 5.3 inches is perfect!