New survey shows Android is "Hot" among younger people while iOS gets the nod from the elderly
0. phoneArena 26 Oct 2012, 13:21 posted on
A survey of 9,000 people shows that Android is slightly "hotter" than Apple's iOS even though a majority of adults deemed both mobile platforms to be hot; breaking down the numbers by demographics, iOS won out only amongst those born before 1946...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. frydaexiii (Posts: 1422; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
And there you go. iGarbage is only popular with kids who want it just because it's popular (like how they want toys they see in TV commercials), adults who like kids, only want it for the brand and old people.
8. theBankRobber (Posts: 674; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Lets all spread the truth among the rest of the overpriced apple world. LoL
20. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4774; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
The Apple fad is now getting "old" literally. It was just a matter of time before people could finally "SEE" that Android is the better OS. It just does more & guess what Apple? People love & need customization. Something you CLEARLY can't do with an Apple device.
Android over took iOS in the smartphone market. Now Android is about to do the same in the tablet market.
Overall Android is just better. Finally people are starting to get out & see there is WAY better than Apple out there. Shoot even WP8 is better than Apple.
62. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
And they called Nokia the burning platform.
They should look at Apple now cuz it just got burnt LIKE TOAST
25. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1025; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
The Samsung commercial made it clear that Apple products attract the older generation. Theres nothing wrong with that, but i dont think thats what Apple was trying to do. Ive seen more teenagers and my parents' generation having iPhones
Meanwhile those within my generation (Generation X) want more out of our phones and not being restricted to do so like Apple
65. sgogeta4 (Posts: 394; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
And as the older generation gets even older, they're switching to Android. Why? Because the iPhone is too small and not everyone has 20/20 vision. My dad just got the Note II for that very reason from his iPhone 4.
48. jroc74 (Posts: 5834; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
This was Blackberries thing, considered for old ppl and iPhone for the youngsters. I dont want Android to get so popular that it becomes the "it" phone, tablet.
Feels good to say Android has arrived to be considered the hot phone and iPhone for old folks, but I dont want that to happen. Google, dont read this and decide to rest, not innovate....
75. archangel9 (Posts: 233; Member since: 07 Feb 2010)
Good point. If you want to be in the "in"crowd go with the iPhone.You want to be different Android
44. angelesmec (unregistered)
Then if that's the case they will copy Android? Haha..
19. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Not at all...IMO iOS is overly simplified and has a much smaller learning curve than Android so it only makes sense that elders would prefer it more. The younger and more tech crowd wants to do and get everything out of their phone and make it their own so they want Android.
40. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I'm not, my Great Great Great Grandmother uses iOS (from the grave) and she's jAilbroken, too!! And, if she does any traveling through purgAtory she uses Apple Maps in hopes that she can bide more time as she, undoubtedly, gets lost alot up there.
42. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
The millennial numbers are right in line with expectations. I'm not really surprised that gen X prefers Android. That the baby boomers prefer Android was a bit surprising, though.
50. jroc74 (Posts: 5834; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
This also goes against iPhone vs Android myths. I think Blackberry needs to read this article and start focusing on Plan B.
76. archangel9 (Posts: 233; Member since: 07 Feb 2010)
Not surprised.I had a debate with guys about this and I told them the same thing but they're fanboys and they don't see nothing but Apple.
5. NickPeters (Posts: 73; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
"The survey reveals that the Apple iPhone isn't like your grandma's smartphone, it IS your grandma's smartphone."
Hahahahaha... This one is KILLER! :)
6. Cyan3boN (Posts: 440; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
so Sammy got it right in the first ad. its time to find the whiney girls : )
7. gregoryyy3 (unregistered)
because older people are smart.
73. leftheodo (Posts: 84; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Because older people have no idea about technology.
10. p0rkguy (Posts: 685; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
18. Aeires (unregistered)
Suddenly "OMG" doesn't even do it justice.
28. Hemlocke (unregistered)
Apparently you aren't a regular at XDA, where legions of mental midgets coexist peacefully with talented devs and people who actually know about different devices firsthand.
46. Hemlocke (unregistered)
I am. I'm not pointing fingers, but every day you see devs post warnings for morons who think that a Galaxy S3 ROM will work on every phone with "Galaxy S3" in the name. It's no different than the dumbasses who don't know the difference between an iPhone 4s and iPhone 5.
47. p0rkguy (Posts: 685; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
I am a regular on XDA and I see those too but that's a reading problem, which everyone has now that grammar has gone down the s**t hole.
The problem with the link I posted is the guy thinks his i5 is bent and he doesn't know how to check to see if an object is straight.
Don't get me wrong, both are dumb but you'd have to be really slow on the bent i5 situation. If it makes you feel any better, read post #3 in the link.
52. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1495; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
And to which one do you belong to? Part of the legion of mental midgets or a talented dev?
41. BattleBrat (Posts: 1383; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
ROFL HA HA HA HA HA That thread is FRIGGEN EPIC!!!
55. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10312; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Comment #3 made me laugh so loud people around me are staring at me.
12. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Trime to dip into android well, steal few things include in their so "cool" os after few cosmetic changes and then stamp it as their own "never before innovation" and return to sue the very source from where they lifted their innovations :)
15. tedkord (Posts: 9002; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Apple just received a patent on written sarcasm which includes the novel use of "quotation marks around a facetious or sarcastic statement."
Expect an iSuit immediately.
16. tedkord (Posts: 9002; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Damn. I just got served for my last post.
13. roscuthiii (Posts: 2027; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Well, I suppose it's a good thing when the market segment that favors you has the most disposable income... probably not as good that they're more likely to pass away sooner.
21. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
So the reason that your over paying and apple is over charging for their products is because apple has more money... wow you sure are smart buddy....
It's freakin phone ur talking avg lifespan of a phone is between 1-2 years, your not gonna carry ur phone to your grave unless your like 95 now and have an iphone....
29. Twisted247 (Posts: 282; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Sure! And also the generation with the most disposable income will repeat "whats a Download" or "app?"
34. roscuthiii (Posts: 2027; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
As well as, "Get off my lawn!" and "When will Ensure come out with butterscotch flavor?"
14. Aeires (unregistered)
Old news really. There has been a large increase in elderly iPad buyers because they feel using a tablet is easier than a PC. When you brag about simplifying the OS UI, you have to expect things like this to happen.
17. tedkord (Posts: 9002; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
This is one of those, "well, duh!" surveys.
It's like we've always said, those who are more technically inclined are attracted to Android, those who aren't too iOS. Not news.
23. Sakeem (Posts: 411; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
My sister-in-law was in town and she had an Android tablet. My mother-in-law has an Ipad. My mother-in-law said, "her tablet can do things that mine can't. Why is that?" I simply said, "because it's an ipad."
24. roscuthiii (Posts: 2027; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Hmm, this survey coupled with the survey here,http://arstechnica.com/science
/2012/10/weve-located-the-reality-distortion-field-and-its-in-the-consumers-brain/... kinda makes it look like our youth may not be so dumb after all.
26. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
well young people will go for flashy screen and colorful devices the e more experience shoppers will go functionality rather then big screen device that will obsolete in 6 months or less.
30. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"...more experience shoppers..."
And what makes them "more experience shoppers" ?
33. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
And yet Apple stretches the phone by 0.5 inches. Who wanted it? the old or the young :D
39. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1708; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Righttttt...i'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that Android is better because of its many different flavors instead of Apple's boring one size fits all in the past 5 years.
45. tedkord (Posts: 9002; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Actually, those with tech savvy go for Android, because they understand its a more powerful, flexible OS. The older, less tech savvy will go for the simpler OS. And from this survey, we see that this is exactly what is happening.
Didn't Apple just make the iPad 3 obsolete in 7 months?
60. someones4 (Posts: 624; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
technically, other companies made the iPad obsolete.
49. jroc74 (Posts: 5834; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
So....are you seriously trying to tell us....that the iPhone, iOS is more functional than Android?
The iPhone 5 took a step back by not being able to talk n surf at the same time, yet its more functional....
Android can do more things out the box that the iPhone has to be jail broken to do....
Fanboyism is a disease, seriously.
61. someones4 (Posts: 624; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
iPhone is obsolete for the past few years
66. galokjai (Posts: 36; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
that explains why people who buy apple products change their phones, tablet, computers, laptops, and chargers every year while people who buy android keeps their items for 5-10 years? you should go to school.
27. Hemlocke (unregistered)
It's funny that some company that makes Android apps (bit.ly/HlqULO) would say that, when an independent analyst firm, Piper Jaffray, says otherwise (bit.ly/WQgqZ6).
35. D_Tech-tive (Posts: 104; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
This article is funny to me cause me and my coworkers was just talking about this the other day. I noticed the older guys at my job prefer Iphones and older people in general for that matter.
It makes sense to me cause old folks don't like changes, and the only flavors of Iphone are black or white and memory size. (Boring!)
Android comes in so many brands, models, styles, specs, and features it's no wonder why the older crowd avoids Android. Too many choices, they just assume listening to the sales persons tells them to buy cause they didn't do their research before buying. And since the sales person gets more commission for the sales of certain phones they could care less what you need and sell you what puts more money in their pocket!
36. THETECHTEAM (Posts: 82; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)