New specs leak confirms our fears: Samsung Galaxy Gear may only get 10 hours of battery life
0. phoneArena 30 Aug 2013, 18:04 posted on
Earlier today, we talked about the potential issues that customers will have to look out for with the Samsung Galaxy Gear and the Sony SmartWatch 2, because we're not convinced the hardware or software is ready for smartwatches yet. One big worry is battery life, and a new leak concerning the specs for the Galaxy Gear, it looks like battery life could be a problem...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. rd_nest (Posts: 769; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
No watch is good with 10hrs battery.
I think Samsung is just showing it as a 'concept' device, and not a mass-produced product.
18. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3511; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
A concept that will crash and burn because I get the feeling the new Galaxy Watch will come bloated with features it doesn't need.
28. iushnt (Posts: 644; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
what if this was not a galaxy gear but iWatch? you would love it right..lol
56. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
He would froth at mouth (his own confession) and start digging the ground to hide the iWatch after buying it ...
58. Shatter (Posts: 2024; Member since: 29 May 2013)
If they toke the same watch and removed Samsungs apps and branding he would probably buy 10 of them.
36. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
I can't imagine wearing a galaxy watch at the middle of the day and it suddenly turned off. So what's the use of a watch if you can't even check your time..
43. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
It's funny because my fears are that it's going to have a booring design and it's going to be made of plastic..
45. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Please Guys, let your brains work,, the creators of that smartwatch will absolutely consider the battery life because it is a Watch.. They are not Stupid okay..
48. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 382; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
I can only hope for Samsung that this rumor is not true. It would destroy all their tries to present themselves as an innovator. What speaks in favor of the rumor is that the device is small and therewith doesn't feature much space for the battery. What adds to that is that Android is a pretty demanding OS when it comes to hardware to run smoothly. But powerful hardware drains the battery. WP8 and iOS need fewer specs to perform smoothly.
What speaks against this rumor is the common sense to not bring a 10h lasting watch to the market. Lets see how good Samsung really is.
2. Kevinphantom (Posts: 82; Member since: 17 Jun 2013)
why they just don't make suites with screens and large battery and a cooler system that will be awesome
3. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1009; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
they should come up with something.a smartphone cant even be "always on" for 4 days how is a 1.5 inch or 2.5 inch can? back to the blue print...
4. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5596; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i just want something like the Pebble...
5. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3511; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I honestly don't see this idea being all that useful.
7. sprockkets (Posts: 1161; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
I honestly don't see this post being all that useful.
11. Tsoliades (Posts: 212; Member since: 22 Dec 2012)
I honestly don't see this post being all that useful.
15. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 934; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
I honestly don't see my post being all that useful.
24. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I honestly don't see my post being all that useful™
29. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Mxzy go away please
& stop T®olling™
13. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
putting "i" in the word "watch" is a disrespect to watches around the world...
34. joey_sfb (Posts: 2917; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
i stand for idiotic.
s stand for stupid
c stand for cheap
Mxyzptik, there you go, much more creative than your assbites. Apple is really good at marketing and labeling its flock
16. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3511; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
At least the iWatch won't have the S-Plode feature.
23. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
At least the Galaxy Gear won't include the iPremium Price.
33. iushnt (Posts: 644; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
at least it wont shock people to death and coma along with sky high price
51. tedkord (Posts: 4755; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Will it have the iJustgotshocked feature of the iPhone?
54. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5596; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
right, of course, it'll have the iBomb feature in it's stead.
64. McLTE (Posts: 698; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
no, it'll really on the official chargers to ishock and ifry it's owners.
55. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6468; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Honestly I think when the iwatch launch all u will be saying it's innovative. U or no one don't know what specs the galaxy smart watch will have.
6. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 293; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Battery life for a smart watch needs to be measured in days not hours, or it's just not worth the hassle.
10. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5436; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
10 hours on a smartwatch is not enough, what's the point of buying it if it can't last a day?
37. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
Just as much battery life as the omnitrix. How did ben 10 manage to save the world with that crap?
19. downphoenix (Posts: 2323; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
a lot of these features seem useless. Why does a watch need a dual core processor or a 4mp camera or 1gb of ram or 8gb storage? The watch is meant to 1) show time of course 2) set an alarm 3) use some aux functions like stopwatch, lap times, calculator 4) show emails and notifications from your phone so you dont need to pull it out of your pocket every time you wanna check these.
Is samsung planning on this device working separately from a phone as well as with it? Cant think of any other reason it would need all this stuff.
20. SonyPS4 (Posts: 252; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Need at least 2-3 days battery life with average usage for this to be successful.
22. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
32. iushnt (Posts: 644; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
this one seems promising.. the only thing that bothers me is that 'SONY' written on top..sony is just so mainstream
35. Feanor (Posts: 304; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
... whereas Samsung is so rare and premiun? :-)))
41. iushnt (Posts: 644; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
haha..premium watches are provided by rolex. sony isnt just cool anymore like Samsung.
50. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
Samsung? Cool? did i miss something?
21. verbalize (Posts: 84; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Typical Samsung. They hear what Apple's doing and they rush something. This device will be a big joke. I give Apple a lot of credit for taking their time so at least there watch will be much better than the cheap garbage that Samsung puts out.
30. iushnt (Posts: 644; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
whatever, by the time apple releases their watch in mid 2014.. there will be something called galaxy gear 2 which will be far better than iwatch due to their early adoption of this technology
52. tedkord (Posts: 4755; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Typical Samsung. They hear that Apple is copying am idea and they copy it, too, but faster and sell a lot more.
26. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Typical Apple using outdated specs along with cheap materials and charging a premium price. And halfbread products.
31. iushnt (Posts: 644; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
yes, if they sell their midrange product at such high price then it should be much safer and reliable too
27. gigaraga (Posts: 966; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I bet if the brand was Sony then people would not bash it as much, but because it is Samsung, they can deliberately bash the company for making this idea (smartwatch).
I think that it is fine, its just there are a lot of people who just think Sony is the 'best' (obviously not, judging by their products).
49. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1303; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
No, don't think Samsung is the only one with haters.
Sony has haters too (you are one of them), primarily because of their premium designs and getting more attention than the haters' phone brands.
See for yourself; check the Z1 on three article comments section.
62. SonyCraperiaSucks (banned) (Posts: 25; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
Premium deign? what design..its just a basic boring design thats repeated...and no, its not getting more attention, its just that the phone has nothing going for it and people just rant on about how good Sony is, (like you)
63. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
"its just a basic boring design thats repeated"
and sonys design has more variations than samsung designs. The power button isnt changed coz its like a signature button now. hv u seen the low end and midrange xperias design? only the highend designs are somewhat similar, and if it aint broken, dont fix it. whereas samsungs design is broken and needs to be fixed. besides, u expect them to release a drastically different design everytime they release a phone? u nuts?
38. doody (Posts: 14; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
If this was apple they would tell you your all doing it wrong, there should be 10 hours in a day.
39. Rexperia (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2012)
I have an awesome SONY smartwatch and I really love it!
44. boosook (Posts: 1000; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Sony, with the SW2, is at its third generation (considering the sonyericsson liveview as the first generation), phone arena is making a lot of fuss on the samsung's smartwatch while sony's watches are already on the market, hw and sw are not rushed, there are apps and the battery lasts a reasonable amount of time.
40. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
What?? So I buy a watch and I can't even use it all day? No thanks!
46. daniel_bargs (Posts: 323; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
What is the point of smartwatch? To have another notification bar that is not part of a phone?
47. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 851; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
This is stupid. This whole concept that people are going to be showing up in droves to buy "smart" watches to wear in place of regular watches is ridiculous. It's nothing more than a manufacturer driven demand and from the looks of this site and others, you all are buying into without even thinking about whether or not it even makes sense to have something like this. News flash: you have a phone which does everything and more, that half of you have attached to your hand anyway.
Go ahead though, spend your money on it, show it off so you look cool and enjoy realizing how dumb it is a month later.