New snapshots of Nokia Lumia 1520 put it side by side with Sony Xperia Z
0. phoneArena 08 Sep 2013, 16:35 posted on
A series of photos were published on Sunday that show the Nokia Lumia 1520 phablet; the device is expected to come to market with a 6 inch screen, 1080 x 1920 FHD resolution, a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor inside, 2GB of RAM and the GDR3 update. Some of the pictures show the unannounced device sitting next to the Sony Xperia Z and you can see how the Windows Phone phablet dwarfs the 5 inch Android handset...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Commentator (Posts: 2088; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Nice to see a Lumia handset 10 square miles of bezel. I wonder how WP will work on a phablet. The Note works because it has features that make it more than just a big phone, so hopefully Nokia can deliver some quality experiences (in what might be its last name-branded Nokia phone ever.)
2. dorianb (Posts: 327; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Looked like a "reasonable" amount of bezel to me.
Agree that they will need app optimized for the larger screen as to just not look like a blown up pixelated version.
7. Commentator (Posts: 2088; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I meant to say "without" 10 square miles of bezel., not sure how I missed that.
Would that I could say this was the fault of Siri or Google Now, but sadly that's not the case.
28. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 571; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
It is, but it also isn't shock, dust, and water proof. This phone looks good, but it is way too big (Slightly larger than the Galaxy Mega 6.3).
30. Commentator (Posts: 2088; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Not shock, dust, and water proof... as far as we know, from the limited rumors we've seen.
38. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 571; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Have any Lumias been, so far? This looks just like most of the rest, with the same proportions scaled up, so I think it is safe to assume it is not.
44. Commentator (Posts: 2088; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Fair enough, but Lumias have been certified to be used as hammers, which I'm not sure the Z1 has been.
37. apple4never (Posts: 674; Member since: 08 May 2013)
its not bad its only top and bottom bezel, and don't forget that it has capacitive buttons thats what the bottom bezel is for as for the top, i wouldn't want a moto x with 2 different sized bezels
48. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3515; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
From the pictures, it just looks like there is only more tiles. Hopefully there's some software features we haven't seen yet, otherwise this is going to be a flop.
73. akki20892 (Posts: 2290; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Perfect Phablet Of The Year.........!!! All features in One place.........nokia u make me proud today. Cheers
3. clevername (Posts: 1401; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
I was hoping they would maintain the 41mp on their top teir devices. Hope the 1020 wasn't the last
27. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5155; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I hope MS has the intelligence to stop the carrier exclusive bullsh*t. Carrier exclusive was a self-inflicted wound for Nokia. If MS wants to see sales of WP grow, they need to enable every possible way for those sales to occur. Carrier exclusive eliminates any chance of sales from the other carriers that don't have the exclusive.
Down with carrier exclusives.
4. twens (Posts: 421; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
If am to choose between this and note 3 I will be the most confused person on earth. I will rather have both. Lol
6. Kishin (Posts: 473; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Damn that screen and low bezel good camera 2
60. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 488; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Yeah.. i feel ya. For the note 3 to release a 13MP. We'll se an upgrade of 20MP in a short while no doubt. Seing that Sony releases theirs.
But still weighing options here!
8. DechyX (Posts: 109; Member since: 16 May 2011)
i hope that black theme indicates more color options coming to the OS as well
13. Commentator (Posts: 2088; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
That would look pretty good on an AMOLED screen. By the looks of it this is LCD.
14. noler (Posts: 148; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
No, any WP8 can display black Tiles + white background.
22. papss (Posts: 2892; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Umm no there isn't.. You can get white or black background but no black tiles "yet".. Also whomever gave you a thumbs up isn't in the known either. The closest you can get right now is steel.
29. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 571; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
You can, but you have to be interop unlocked. I had that theme on my old Focus.
33. shikroi (Posts: 182; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
Yes you can. settings-->ease of access-->high contrast
72. noler (Posts: 148; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
ease of access-->high contrast + white background and you get black tiles.
9. smallworld (Posts: 369; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
It's the Xperia Z1. How can you mistake a phone that was just announced ?
10. sulre (Posts: 10; Member since: 08 Sep 2013)
I'm sorry PA, but that's the Z1 one not the Z!
46. taikucing (unregistered)
That Z1 screen looks washout. The viewing angle is horrible. No wonder Sony always gets low score in PA.
61. vipervoid123 (Posts: 29; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
The Z1 only announced and not yet review how can know the score ?
Are a GOD or something ?
What are u talking are meanless u know ?
71. rgxVOiD (Posts: 427; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
It looks washed out from the camera that has most of it's focus on 1520 because the screen is brighter. Basic camera knowledge
11. TimothyS (Posts: 2; Member since: 08 Sep 2013)
It looks like that is actually the Xperia Z1. On picture 1 and 11, you can see a shutter key, which was not present on the Xperia Z.
15. Cod3rror (Posts: 49; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
So every Nokia camera is "PureView" now. Way to water down the "PureView" brand established by 808, Nokia.
17. clevername (Posts: 1401; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
yeah its been like that since the 920... well sorta, not every one is pureview. only 92x series and above. for the 920 it was redubbed pureview phase 2 because of the lenses and OIS
16. jove39 (Posts: 1196; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I think windows Rt would make me sense on phablets instead of windows phone!
19. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Geez, is Nokia worried about Sony for some reason? First a post mocking their attachable lense now comparing the new flagship's size to theirs?
23. papss (Posts: 2892; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
It's isn't someone at Nokia that is showing this....so reach much¿
58. Glim12808 (Posts: 385; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Read the source of the article again - it says The Verge is the original source, not Nokia. But even if it were Nokia and they were worried about Sony, then the last thing they would do is make direct comparisons.
62. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 488; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Oh com'on man, chill. Don't let your fanboyish nature be seen. It just showing the size comparison. To show how big na Lumia 1520 is. Not to mock Sony.
Sheesh, fanboys getting dumb by the day..
20. dre786 (Posts: 42; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
this is going to just fine and i think microsoft will keep the NOKIA brand
21. MistB (Posts: 543; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
The bezels have actually thinned out, they are thinner than the Xperia Z1's. In the first picture the 1520 doesn't looks that much bigger than the Z1 but in picture 4, you can almost fit the entire Z1 in the 1520's screen frame. Have to admit, I saw the Z1 and ultra in person and despite not being Sony's number 1 fan, they both looked pretty damn good! But the 1520 is looking to be a beauty/beast and the super phablet that WP8 needs!
24. papss (Posts: 2892; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I'm pretty surprised by how thin it looks in black. I may be the minority but I hope they keep some of the trademark black on the top and bottom bezel.
25. GrapeEyes (Posts: 243; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
I have to confess to you all.... that is my 1520 I am showing off :)
31. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1178; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
:( I didnt see a sdcard port. But all in all , its looking beautiful
39. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1178; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Ahhhh I see it now, in one of the screenshots..hope it takes, 64GB sdcards!!! MY NEXT PHONE, FOR SURE :-D
32. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Looking at the camera bump, i'm guessing it will have the 6-element camera that came with the 925...a Pureview phase 3 on that giant will take the comfortability right out of it's handling.
42. shikroi (Posts: 182; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
I just found out it may have oversampling by questioning the dude who sourced the pics. It takes 16 and 5mp photos.
41. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5472; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Would be better if the guy that leaks this side by side with a Z ULTRA
45. Commentator (Posts: 2088; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Or the Note 3.
Or heck, the One Max. We haven't seen enough of that.
57. pyradark (Posts: 687; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
note 3 and lumia will look like a toy on the same side of Z ultra
47. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Oh look! A lagdroid! Most phones still have a quad core AND dual core, so whats your problem?
64. dexter_jdr (Posts: 890; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
dafuq is your problem. im on lumia team
66. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
It wasn't aimed at you, it was more of a complement comment to your comment. :) Sorry if you read it wrong