New report says Apple is working on two large-screened iPhone models with curved glass
0. phoneArena 10 Nov 2013, 09:16 posted on
A published report on Sunday cites someone familiar with Apple's plans who says that the Cupertino based tech titan is working on larger-screened versions of the Apple iPhone; according to this source, Apple is working on two new models, both of which could be released in the second half of next year. Both models are said to employ glass that curves downward at the edges...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 140; Member since: 15 May 2013)
It's about time Apple does a larger screen phone. 4.7 would be perfect. Not sure about the curved glass though, I'm curious about this...
6. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5956; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
5 inches and 1080p resolution would be perfect. I will wait to see how successful curved form factor is. I suspect curved form factor doesn't make it to production.
8. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"5 inches and 1080p resolution would be perfect."
Agree, for me too.
100. darkkjedii (Posts: 12714; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Someone's been a naughty PA user. See you next week
11. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 140; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Yep, definitely would love a 5 inch 1080p display, but I fear that Apple does the same as the iPad mini and skips the Full HD resolution at first... If the glass is slightly curved on the edges (a bit like the Nexus 4 is), I would like it.
13. Commentator (Posts: 2515; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
They're not going to pull an "iPad mini" again. This will be their top-dollar device, whereas the iPad mini was meant to be a cheaper substitute for the full-sized iPad.
If they go 5" I see them either using some unheard-of resolution like they did with the iPhone 4 and 5, or retweaking their definition of "Retina Display" for this model. Remember, Apple bases the threshold for Retina Displays on how far the "average user" holds the phone from their face.
15. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"...Apple bases the threshold for Retina Displays on how far the "average user" holds the phone from their face."
If it is true, then it is really bad idea.
18. Commentator (Posts: 2515; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
A list of the "typical viewing distances" for Apple's various devices.
The retina display is nothing more than a marketing ploy, and there's debate as to whether Apple's claims that the human eye can't discern individual pixels are even true.
Kudos to them though, as the whole "300 PPI is all you need" claim has certainly stuck. Even Android fans have used the argument.
23. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"The retina display is nothing more than a marketing ploy."
I also think so.
30. mturby (unregistered)
samsung and lg should sue them. is that what apple calls innovation?
41. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 244; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
More like they are going for 5" with 2272x1280(double the 1136x640 resolution) and ~522 ppi :)
5. shahrooz (Posts: 214; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
in other words apple will stay with 720p or below
9. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5956; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Why so? HTC One is equipped with 4.7 inch screen at 1080p spec. Pixel density is something like 460 ppi.
7. E.S.1 (Posts: 294; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
They are finally trying to keep up with the rest of the world. That's great.
69. stealthd (Posts: 980; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
The world's been trying to catch up in sales then. iPhones regularly outsell all larger screened phones combined.
102. trustory (Posts: 117; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
In the us. Global sales are way different
16. silencer271 (Posts: 232; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
look apple coping but isheep websites dont care
70. bucky (Posts: 1577; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Would that make you an I sheep because you're registered here?
Go somewhere else
17. mas11 (Posts: 1032; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
But...but i thought apple said a phone over 4" is too big! Yeah Apple loves saying something is useless when their competition has it but when Apple adds that feature to their iDevice they will claim it's "magical" or "revolutionary." Then sue the hell out of their competition
88. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6743; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Next thing we know apple will patent on what size screen they should own
19. k20fa5 (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Oct 2013)
If the iPhone is already competitive with its 4" screen I can already imgaine how much better it's going to be with a larger one
21. GoBears (Posts: 384; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Nah...Grandmas will have a hard time holding it lol.
25. Jklaz (Posts: 124; Member since: 01 Jul 2013)
And little kids and teenage girls. There goes the market share of this phone before it comes out
66. darkkjedii (Posts: 12714; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It'll be crushing, I know that. Next year is full redesign year too, man Jony's gonna bring it dude. +1
24. euklidis (Posts: 24; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
Bloomberg my A** I've been reading these guys since they posted the date for iPhone 5S and they said about flexible displays 3 days after iPhone 5S announced! Even before we knew about Samsung Round or LG G Flex!
52. stealthd (Posts: 980; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Galaxy Nexus was a curved phone, but it did not have a curved display
31. mturby (unregistered)
lg should partner with samsung and sue them
32. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Wow a larger iphone *yawn*.
36. 14545 (Posts: 1154; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
With a "curved" glass nonetheless.
Can anyone say 2011 galaxy nexus.......But since apple will the the creator it will be "All New(TM)" and "Revolutionary(TM)"
44. DnB925Art (Posts: 425; Member since: 23 May 2013)
Actually 2010 Nexus S, it has curved glass.
33. GeekMovement (Posts: 1521; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
lol and all of my friends who had iPhones looked at my galaxy and were like "pft those phones are way too big to use" (note the phone i had back then was 4.5" display)
now they're gonna get it (: or they can upgrade to the iPhone 5S and stay there forever.
81. HouTexan (Posts: 316; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
Hell yeah. It's going to be so funny watching ifans get the bigger screen and I'll bring up how they said my phone was too big.
34. TomTheNerd (Posts: 67; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
If they do, they'll probably make the resolution so that it's perfectly 350+ PPI, no FullHD.
You can already imagine the ads, "revolutionary", "innovation", "fantastically big (5.5 one)
37. Nayabandaa (Posts: 29; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Ray S : .... blah blah.. Apple has given a whole new dimension, whole new meaning to large size in phones and has finally showed this world that yes, a big phone can be cool.
38. Pattycakes (Posts: 22; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
User: What is the best screen size
Ray S: Well I think apple has the best size with 4 inch screen.
*2 months later the iPhone with 4.7 screen releases*
Ray S: Well I think apple has the best screen size with 4.7 inches.
39. Pattycakes (Posts: 22; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
In all seriousness i might actually buy one. I was really hoping Apple would make a 4.5 inch screen or somewhere close. If it's priced decently i'll go for it, if not i'm getting the Nexus 5.
40. 14545 (Posts: 1154; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
This is apple we are talking about. Since it will be a 4.x inch phone, it will be more expensive than the current 5s.
48. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
4.7 is BIG?
Anything below 5.5 would be small in 2014 :)
49. improv (Posts: 95; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
A larger iPhone is very enticing for me. Still, after a couple days of using the Nexus 5, I'm not sure if I'll ever want to go back to iOS :P
54. darkkjedii (Posts: 12714; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Can't wait to grab this phablet. Apples about to really put that 64 bit architecture to use. Xperiadroid, may I please say bring it on apple?
58. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5956; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Getting bored with your 5S? If you want a real 64-bit architecture, wait for Sammy to release its 64-bit architecture along with 4Gb of RAM (Note 4 most likely, but amybe in the GS V).
61. darkkjedii (Posts: 12714; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude this device is a year away, and just to let you know I get bored with any device after a couple months. There's 4 things that I don't get bored with 1 money 2 working out 3 cars 4 my wife. My 5S, and note 2 are great devices, but once you learn em (and it doesn't take me long) you've learned em bro.
72. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5956; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Dude, you better not let your wife see your post above! If she is not priority 1, you are going to be living in Hell until you can convince her that she is #1 priority for you.
If all of a sudden, she starts busting your cojones, you know why. Maybe you should beg the PA mods to delete your post? Seriously.
99. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1655; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
money, cars and women? Sounds like a bad rap music video LOL JOKE
73. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5956; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Moto Droid Maxx is standing in for the Note 2 and the HTC One replaced the GS III. I may swap one or the other for the L929 if that is compelling.
79. darkkjedii (Posts: 12714; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude you're right, that wasn't necessarily in order, but good one. That was funny lol. +1
84. Diezparda (Posts: 219; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
would you kindly to explain what the benefits of 64bit architecture? Especially with 1 gig of ram. I ask the same question on iPad air review but no one answer. I know it's faster than the previous model, but how much faster?
91. darkkjedii (Posts: 12714; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Ask apple, I don't build these devices...I buy em.
94. Diezparda (Posts: 219; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
"Can't wait to grab this phablet. Apples about to really put that 64 bit architecture to use"
well... I'm sorry then, i thought you know the answer (based on your previous comment)
55. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Wow Samsung released the Note 1 (Phablet) in October 2011 and now Apple might be releasing a 4.7 and 5.5 in September 2014.
3 years is way too long!!! Apple should release a larger phone every year between Feb/March.
Samsung has got a really good start in the phablet market "they did start it" However I know that Microsoft are working on a NPen for the next Nokia Lumia 1525 which will be 6.2 inch and have full Microsoft office and a 50megapixel camera (this will be the ultimate phablet).
59. darkkjedii (Posts: 12714; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's no such thing as way too long. Apples done just fine without one, if you bother to look at their sales, however adding it will only increase their lineup. I hope Nokia has a heckuva compression/editing system for that 50 meg camera too, or you won't be able to share anything from it. Remember it's not all about mega pixels dude, simply look no further than apple, and samsungs outstanding cameras. C'mon grape, are you a techie, or another Dorothy69 dude?
63. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Now now tiger.
Nokia/Microsoft have already stated that they will push the standard on internal storage to 128GB plus including 2 microsd slots.
I promise you Nokia/Microsoft will release at least a 50mpixel phone camera in 2014, the tables are turning whether people like it or not.
I will put my neck on the line, Apple mobile division will be worthless by the end of 2016. They are investing heavily in iglass and will say there is no need for mobile phones.
Watch this space :)
82. GoBears (Posts: 384; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Nokia's 41mp camera crushes all of Apples and Androids cameras at the moment. It's not even a comparison. The trick for the editing and sharing is the camera saves two images. One is a huge raw image and the other is a processed jpeg for sharing. The lossless zooming and incredible detail even on cropped photos are just untouchable by a 8-13mp shooter. I got a 928 as a backup and even the 8.7mp is awesome with a xenon flash. Wp8 on the other hand...