New interchageable lens to be called Sony Smart Shot; white and gold version makes an appearance
The QX-10 will feature a 1/2.3 inch 18MP CMOS sensor and f/3.3-5.9 lens. This matches the lens on the $400 Sony WX150. The more expensive QX-100 model (expected to cost $450) will offer a 20.2MP CMOS sensor with f/1.8 aperture and 3.6x optical zoom. That is equivalent to the lens on the $750 Sony RX100MII.
Prior to today, we have only seen the lens in black. Today, a number of pictures showing the QX-10 revealed the model in a silver and gold combination. You can check out those pictures and more in the slideshow below.
Sony Smart Shot Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Google’s Project Ara: the first 'Lego' phone toys around with grand ideas
17 Apr 2014, 09:00
Sony Smart Shot
source: SonyAlphaRumors, XperiaBlog via AndroidCentral
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6658; Member since: 14 May 2012)
For that kind of money I'd rather save a little bit more money and just get a DSLR camera...
15. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5289; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Plus, you will get a full size image sensor, with all of the benefits of the larger sensor. This offering strikes me as a bit on the gimmicky side.
19. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
On another tech site, the cheapest version is $250 and for high-end is $450, but we are not sure yet because there is still no official pricing from Sony, so the price could be change.
30. juandante (Posts: 214; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
No it's a very good idea. An RX100 sensor you can carry anywhere like places cameras are forbidden. But I would prefer a fixed sensor for maximum image quality (like a Fuji x100), it is not as if a small 3x zoom is very useful in everyday life.
2. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
thank you sony
will really get this
now i can carry 1 inch sensor and smartphone both at same time
and will really blow other smartphones camera
16. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5289; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
How are you getting a 1 inch sensor? I haven't seen Sony say the RX100 sensor is on board.
22. Purnama (Posts: 6; Member since: 29 Aug 2013)
this lense has built-in imaging sensor, Bionz processor, Wi-Fi/NFC, SD card slot and battery.
phone itself only act as screen view...
35. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5289; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Where does Sony that a 1" image sensor is included? I get the part about a built-in imaging sensor and what-not, but I haven't seen an official statement regarding sensor size included in the QX-100 edition. The QX-10 gets a 1/2.3 sensor, but it is all mum about the QX-100.
36. abrahavt (Posts: 4; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
It is the same sensor as the RX100 which is a 1 inch sensor
37. abrahavt (Posts: 4; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
It is the same sensor as the RX100 which is a 1 inch sensor
38. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5289; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Edit: Where does Sony say that a 1" image sensor is included? :-( Edit limit.
3. pyradark (Posts: 712; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Very Nice Accessories!! wohooo cant wait to pair it up with my Z Ultra
4. Shatter (Posts: 1766; Member since: 29 May 2013)
$400 for a smartphone lens is insane... I could get
5. fanboy1974 (Posts: 998; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
"Using a magnetic system to adhere"
How will this work if you have a case or if your phone is plastic. Maybe Sony should make cases with a mount attached.
6. Shatter (Posts: 1766; Member since: 29 May 2013)
If you have a device with a removable back like the S3/S4 you can buy a back made out of metal. If your unibody and not metal you might be screwed.
18. pyradark (Posts: 712; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
with NFC for easyy connect or bluetooth but manual style!!!
8. muhsen (Posts: 195; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
smart shot is the name of a Nokia camera app that nokia offers for their wp7.8 and wp8 devices.
10. gazmatic (Posts: 502; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
expensive and bulky.... the only savings you get is from not buying the camera in the first place...
I still want to know how this would affect battery life
as far as I can tell it already has three cons and only one big positive...
13. amats69 (Posts: 837; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
I think this is not a battery killer..coz this is only a lens
21. Dastrix (Posts: 542; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
gazmatic is right.
As a side note, I don't see the point of this, especially for that price. For a good cameraphone, or lack thereof when talking about iOS and Android (the reason behind this interchangeable lens), nothing beats the Lumia 1020. I would get it any day over this lens.
11. cyborg009 (Posts: 79; Member since: 17 Sep 2011)
Sony must release a good app for the lenses with lots of customization options.. like you get in rx100mII !!
I'll get qx100 only after i get hands on of it with my xperia S with no lag!!
12. amats69 (Posts: 837; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
This is a great idea by sony... But on that price??? Id rather go buy dslr for a pro shots!.the cost is the deal breaker for me...
14. moanismk (Posts: 13; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
So, you can either get an unlocked S4 or an HTC One or an iPhone. OR, you can get a Nexus 4/Moto X and get this epic sensor for about the same price in total.....
OR you can just get a Lumia 1020....
Optionz.......IZ FERRY GUUUUD....
31. juandante (Posts: 214; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
Your "1020" I don't think it can test this. We are talking about a dedicated 1" sensor here, with far better pixels. An anyway, you could get a "1020" an be castrated with this "WP", better get a very good phone like GS4, HTC, Sony AND a very good camera.
40. x_maly_x (Posts: 55; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
"very good phone like GS4, HTC, Sony" what you take? Change doctor... your mind is castrated....
20. Dastrix (Posts: 542; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
That is WAYYYYY to expensive! No way I'm buying that. I'd stick to the Lumia 1020.
23. sergiobr (Posts: 315; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
No reason to buy Nokia 1020 ANYMORE and the horrible WP ! Just my perfect Android on it ! Thanks for save me Sony ;-)
24. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Perfect android. ........wow someone is overdosing on fanboyism
Whats funny is people complain the 808 was too bulky to carry yet because this as you say works for android devices suddenly you have no issues with size and weight and carrying both a phone and this everyday.
You have no credibility and all fanboys will now have to remain silent when they try to slate the 1020 or any wp device. All there excuses are baseless and bs
42. sergiobr (Posts: 315; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Nice search chaos ! 808 is still the king for me in photos and movies (Just it!). But WP is the worst thing ! And... cheaper. But 1020 costs a lot and ... has WP. Keeping my 808 with my S3 via NFC and now ... S3 with Sony. Lighter !
25. znellu (Posts: 64; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
No one's forcing you to buy a 1020, alright..
Perfect Android... LOL!!!
29. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Perfect Lumia... LOL!!
26. znellu (Posts: 64; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
I think it's much easier to just pull out a 1020 of your pocket to take a snap (just think of a sudden shot), rather than taking out a phone from the pocket, then sticking an external lens and taking a snap.
27. pyradark (Posts: 712; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Yup, but once the lens is attach, your simple/midrange phone can turn into a 1020 killer!! This thing is meant for a lot of user who want take great shots despite having not good camera phone.
Plus we have money to purchase this expensive accessories
28. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 208; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
One thing's for sure. Nokia has got its competitors worried. First the S4 zoom and now this.
33. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Are you kidding me? LOL!!
34. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
you enjoy been a fanboy dont you and seem to over use ''LOL'' when no one is actually laughing
you think other companies arent going to try and compete with nokia in the camera department? this is what benefits the customer. companies been pushed to improve