New iPhone to have nano-SIMs, already in testing with US carriers
0. phoneArena 19 Jul 2012, 11:25 posted on
BGR says that "multiple carrier sources" have confirmed to them that the upcoming iPhone will have a nano-SIM card, and that Apple is already distributing adapters for testing...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Ohrules (Posts: 326; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
I wonder if the small amount of space freed by using nano-sims is worth the trouble on behalf of the user :/
23. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Millimeters count. Especially when competitors are using a longer and wider footprint to spread bits around, yet deliver a thinner form factor.
26. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
It all adds up. It may not seem like much with just one part like the SIM card, but downsize every part possible, even by a miniscule amount, and you can make a thinner device, or fill the extra space with more battery.
3. k4j98 (Posts: 60; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
Notice how the author avoids putting a name to the new iPhone. It's like he knows it isn't going to be called the iPhone 5. It probably won't be called that either; it's now out of sync with the firmware versions, and the New iPad was called just that (not the iPad 3).
Mabye it'll be the iPhone 4sX...who knows?
Any bets on a quad core processor?
4. JessJess (unregistered)
What about 'the new iPhone'? Would make sense when they hit the reset with the iPad.
You get to a point (like they did with graphics cards) when you are at some stupid high numbers and it just isn't sustainable. I mean iPhone 8? 9? 10? its not a very good product name... iPhone 20?
Yeah I see 'the new iPhone' or something other than a number to differentiate it.
13. rejoicefulone (Posts: 13; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
I think Apple needs to get more creative with naming their devices. If they name it 'the new iPhone' then waht will the next iPhone be named? The new new iPhone? or the Newer iPhone? Just a thought...
15. JessJess (unregistered)
I am going to assume the naming reset is in preparation for that. But I think that they are going to drop the numbers altogether.
If you look at MacBooks for instance. They don't call them 'MacBook Pro 2 / 3 / 4' etc when they upgrade them. So why should they for their Phones and Tablets?
You know what would be very amusing. If the currently leaked info and iPhone specs (and design) are actually for a new /lower/ end iPhone device.
20. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Yeah I doubt that. Apple makes only one iPhone because God forbid you can chose what you want in a phone. What if I want an iPhone with a physical keyboard? Gotta go Android. What if I want an iPhone with an HD screen? Gotta go Android. What if I want an iPhone with Lte? Gotta go Android. That's why I'll never buy an iPhone. I'm not a one size fits all phone buyer.
28. wendygarett (unregistered)
The amazing iPhone of course :)
6. drnggaj33 (Posts: 127; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
1GB OF RAM DUAL CORE PROCESSOR OH YES THE PROCESSOR IS BY SAMSUNG IN THE IPHONE JUST TO LET U KNOW
7. xtian1103 (Posts: 363; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
caps lock gone wrong bro? apple pays everything it orders, including those processors by samsung. just the rumor of apple abandoning samsung for elpida to manufacture their processors caused samsung stocks drop. just read how much of their market value fell. in short, they need each other... well maybe for now
8. Ohrules (Posts: 326; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
i thumbed you up solely for the caps lock jab
16. JessJess (unregistered)
How do you know what processor is in the next iPhone? How do you know who manufactured it? How do you know how much RAM it has?
Until Tim Cook is on stage with it in his hand, its all unconfirmed rumor.
27. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Saying the iPhone's processor is by Samsung, is like saying AMD's processor is by TSMC. It's Apple's chip, 100% their IP, Samsung is just the manufacturer.
14. The_Innovation (Posts: 598; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
The reason iPhone 4 was called "The iPhone 4", was because it was the "4th" version/model of the iPhone. If anything, this one should be called iPhone 6, since it will be the 6th version.
25. buccob (Posts: 2242; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
What about calling it "iPhone 4GS" if it now has LTE?
19. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
No quad core processor. More like similar capability to current gen iPad3, but using smaller die size for better energy efficiency.
Notice how the leaks are increasing? Got to slow down the sales juggernaut called the Sammy GS III. It is 2 months to an end-of-September release date.
5. drnggaj33 (Posts: 127; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
WTF is the point still give u service stupid ass APPLE can kiss my ass they have a micro sim SMFH
11. remtothemax (Posts: 254; Member since: 02 May 2012)
i'm afraid i was not able to make sense out of this
17. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4211; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Translator: What is the point of having a micro-SIM? Regular SIMs still give you service, they're just bigger. Apple can kiss my ass because they have micro-SIMs and they are stupid. Shaking my head.
I don't mind incorrect grammar too much, but at least try to make it to where your statement makes sense.
24. The_Innovation (Posts: 598; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
The smaller the parts, more space there is left for other things. Like chips, expansion of battery, etc.
10. Immolate (Posts: 309; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
Is there some benefit to nano-sims other than a tiny bit of space recouped?
12. remtothemax (Posts: 254; Member since: 02 May 2012)
so how long until one of these turns up in a bar?
22. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
With all of the leaking that is going on, probably only after it starts to ship, and it won't be 'lost' by an Apple engineer.
21. beillax (Posts: 24; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
Apple needs to release this iphone already lol I'm tired of waiting!
29. JunitoNH (Posts: 1351; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Hopefully, it wont be made just out plastic with cracks, like that other phone. Made just for humans.