New iPhone photos leak, showing off its larger screen
The images don’t show the usual tell-tale signs of forgery, so we see little reason to doubt them in that sense. Of course we don't know at what stage of development this test assembly was made, so it may not reflect the final product exactly. At the same time, you don't start to test production until you are fairly far along in design development, so while it’s certainly possible that the new iPhone will deviate from these photos, it probably won't be by a huge amount.
New iPhone photos
1. Two generations compared
2. Another comparison between last year's and this year's iPhone
3. The buttons remain the same
4. The new iPhone posing alone
5. New connector
6. A shot of the back side
7. Remember, it's a test unit!
source: KitGuru via Engadget
35. andro. (Posts: 1949; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Yes by todays standards it still looks fairly small. Also if this in fact the new iPhone design then its hasn't changed much at all except slightly bigger. Its still 'chunky' looking also. With IOS 6 introducing minimal changes and if the design above comes to be true then we have an iPhone 4$$ in all reality
37. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5750; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Sigh. I was hoping for something that looked closer to the Photo-chopped concepts that had been making the rounds of rumor mills prior to the release of the 4S. If the production units look like this, it will definitely be deserving of being called the 4SS. Or maybe the 4S+ (Dunno).
41. remtothemax (Posts: 233; Member since: 02 May 2012)
it would be a brilliantly humorous way to slap everyone in the face for all the stupid rumor riots that have accompanied the iphone 4s and whatever the next one will be called
62. Commentator (Posts: 2402; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Naah, Apple will just call it the "new iPhone" like they did with the iPad. That way there's no discrepancy between their naming practices.
65. Aeires (unregistered)
iPhone4GS, it will finally get 4G technology.
86. jaoowolabi (Posts: 201; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
4s is already running on 4g. well on att it is
89. ca2l3vin (Posts: 22; Member since: 12 Aug 2009)
Just call it HSPA+. 3.5G, 3G+, "4G" ....its not LTE which is what most of us are waiting for.
90. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Att doesnt have 4g on its iphone Att just lies to there customers. The screen shows 4g everywhere yet it is not 4g. It is what att knows at 3.5g its slightly fast then 3g but def not 4g its just a Att scam to get people to think att is better then every other company. If apple could get there phones to 4g they would make it that way for all the companies it would be stupid to make it that way for just one. You can take an att iphone unlock it let it work with any other gsm company itll still show 4g on it yet it isnt 4g. I can put 10g on the top of my iphone if i want with it jailbroken it doesnt mean its 10g
66. sithman (banned) (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Man u guys should know better than this... Think back when Jason Chen of gizmodo got the iPhone 4 prototype that was in fact the finished product. Apple was all over it legally remember? If this was the next iPhone it would be recovered by now, and as suit happy as apple is there would b hell to pay for not returning it, and letting it be known who has it. The next iphone will look different from the 4S, and the mockups. Trust me people this is not the next iPhone people, it's a fake. C'mon andro, and droid x Doug u guys r on top of ur tech game... U two of all people should know this. Fake Fake Fake!!!
87. pellegrini (Posts: 83; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
You are right, apple wouldn't be quite if this was the real one. And one more thing, just look the "new" port picture, it made me laugh!
61. The_Godfather (Posts: 146; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Hahahahahahha...thats it lolzzz Apple is running out of ideas and this still looks s**ttt :)
77. Mr.Best (Posts: 79; Member since: 17 Jan 2012)
It's fake. Apple isn't that sloppy to let this leak.
9. gameday78 (Posts: 47; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
so did everything last summer... where are all the curved class designs and curved back pictures???
67. sithman (banned) (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Exactly... Apple has a two year refresh cycle. The first year is an internals boost ram, storage, speed etc. the second year is a new design. 4-4S ends that two year run, now it'll be something different.
31. HTCFreak (Posts: 150; Member since: 17 Jul 2010)
Naah, Jonathan Ive, the designer, said that he had a tough time, witch means that they went for a redesign of their products. I don't think they will stick to the same design. :)
50. joaolx (Posts: 353; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
That would be cool. I still love the old design but I always trusted his designs and think people aren't gonna be disappointed if decides to change.
34. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4010; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yeah it's more of the same just bigger. (Slightly!) It's actually getting pretty old now.
40. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5750; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Definitely Meh. Right now, their notebooks (as in the retina MBP) are looking better than their handsets, if this what ultimately ships.
4. rahulcena5565 (Posts: 57; Member since: 01 Nov 2010)
Hope that the next iPhone supports USB 3.0
5. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 505; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
Can Apple not come up with new designs anymore? It looks more like what the iPhone 4S should have been.
7. Jay_F (Posts: 236; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Why would they? They have aruably the most well-known phone in the modern world. They want to keep it with basically the same design so at a glance it is easily identifiable as an iPhone.
12. bbblader (Posts: 579; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
apple is porche like in design it never changes
21. Captain_Doug (Posts: 753; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
To me, porsche got boring. Their classics are still drool-worthy but the ones today just aren't worth more than a glance.
70. sithman (banned) (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
And that can b applied to sales, performance, dependability, and beauty. As u said porche like lol.
20. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
when apple does it, everyone says it should not change the well know design, when HTC does it, everyone says they need to be more creative in designing..
Sigh.. the famous iStandard..
33. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
well ya know look at the two companies financials and u might find out why... it works for apple but doesnt for htc
76. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
erm, financial state won't really affect design, sis..
43. remtothemax (Posts: 233; Member since: 02 May 2012)
well, with htc there phones were kind of a boring standard
apple is a little striking
now if they stuck with what they have with the one series
that is a classic design i could get behind
22. Immolate (Posts: 283; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
Really? So you're saying that after a couple of years of iSame, users aren't ready for something new and cool? If this is really the new design, then I genuinely feel sorry for their enthusiasts. As much as I dislike them I don't think they're that stupid.
54. tedkord (Posts: 4734; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I'm not saying people wouldn't like a redesign, but I think people get way too hung up on the aesthetics of a phone. I care more about the performance and what it can or can't do. If it's ugly, slap a case on it.
59. Immolate (Posts: 283; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
Smartphones today are like cars in the 60's. People are crazy about them and every aspect of the device matters. They aren't just portable machines for making phone calls. They are fully functional computers, personal in a way that the computer never really could be, and infinitely malleable to our will. To say the aesthetic doesn't matter is short-sighted. It matters to most people... a lot.
57. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
i'm sure the CEOs at Rim thought the same way as you.
69. sithman (banned) (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Well said look at corvette, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley,and Aston Martin. All those cars have basically the same legendary design that's instantly identifiable as what it is. It's called name brand recognition people the rolls Royce grill the bentlys b symbols the Pepsi symbol name brand recognition. Apples products r instantly recognizable yet the 3G/3GS look different from the first one, and the 4 /4S look different from the 3G/3GS. Yet they all look the same as a brand. As I said rolls, bently, vette, Aston, lambo different but the same. Say it with with me now d I f f e r e n t b u t t h e s a m e.
44. HTCFreak (Posts: 150; Member since: 17 Jul 2010)
Uhm, do you really think it's real? lol :)
15. lauremar (Posts: 181; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Hahaha I'm totally with you... Elongate the new iPhone and this is how Apple innovates nowadays and then they will just litigate to crush the competition.
18. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
As pointed out by "bbblader" above, they may not need to change the design.
The fact is, the iPhone is a nice phone to look at. Just like Porsche has not needed to change their design, neither does Apple.
I wouldn't fault them for it... don't fix what isn't broken.
That being said, there's tons of s**t that needs fixin' with the iPhone imo, but design is not at the top of the list.
25. Immolate (Posts: 283; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
If you keep spinning like that, you're going to get sick.
27. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
btw, Porsche, BMW, Rolls-Royce do change their designs, look at the 911.. The only thing that doesn't change is their signature silhouette and that famous headlamp. But look at the curves, they do change, even if not radical. Look at BMW with the signature grill and, to a certain extent, headlamps. They retain the basic design but the engineers managed to get creative and innovative to make it different but still look BMW-ish. But look at this, this is basically the same "Innovative" design as two years ago when the iPhone 4 was introduced.
Don't get me wrong, I have to say that iPhone 4/4S is one of the best designed phone, so much until Apple had to patent it. But c'mon, can't you come up with a different design? Or the iPhone will be just another MacBook/Mac/iPad, where the design will not change at all?
Then how do people know you upgraded?
68. lauremar (Posts: 181; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Right! Perfect example with Porsche, they came up with a new version of the 911 which has a 4-door and longer than the original. I guess iamcc is spot on with regards to making that analogy. It's comparable with Apple coming up with a larger screen and longer iPhone 5 compared to the 4s... LMFAO
8. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
another facepalm.. it still looks exactly the same!!its OLD!! what happened Apple.. too scared to come up with new designs?
46. HTCFreak (Posts: 150; Member since: 17 Jul 2010)
another facepalm.. do you really think it's real? just wait when they will actually annouce it, and than judge.
64. Elvis. (Posts: 25; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Okay, I wont. But I think people already know that, I mean the iPhone looks the same since it was first released.
11. JessJess (unregistered)
Kind of wish they would replace the hardware button with a touch one. It's something you press a lot on the iPhone (such as for siri) and its clunky and feels a bit retro on such a smart device.
13. sena7 (Posts: 26; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
Looks just fine. The original iPhone 4 design is the best in modern smartphones in my opinion. It does look like Apple decided to go for an aluminum back panel with glossy edges, though. I like the direction.
16. sudbury78 (Posts: 129; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
It will set more records and be the best selling smart phone out there and I can't wait!!! I truly admire and love that EVERY apple based story is filled with Android fans. Secretly, all apple fan boys and girls. There are only 13 comments here... give it an hour or two and 3 pages of secret apple fans bashing it.
17. sid07desai (Posts: 256; Member since: 03 May 2012)
I sold my iphone 4s and bought the galaxy s3. True story. When iphone 5 launches, i will sell my Galaxy S3 and buy it. And then i will sell my Iphone 5 and buy the Note 2. Win win!