New iPhone is not likely to feature NFC: here's why
0. phoneArena posted on 28 Aug 2012, 08:47
We might have heard countless rumors about the upcoming sixth-generation iPhone from Apple, but while they all agree on some things like the larger, 4-inch screen, newer 32nm chip…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. wendygarett (limited) 3 days ago posted on 28 Aug 2012, 08:53 39 3
The answer is obvious!!! Because iphone don't even have the blutooth file transfer!!!
Why would iphone wanna give you the 'iBeam' when you cant even transfer file via bluetooth?
3. PAPINYC posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:04 10 5
No Wendy, no NFC this go around because that will be iMplemented into the iPhone 5S six months, or so, after the release of iPhone 5.
5. kartik4u98 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:06 9 4
I like when you give your views against Apple.!
18. wendygarett (limited) 3 days ago posted on 28 Aug 2012, 10:04 5 7
but i still wanna to buy it someday tho :)
19. JessJess (unregistered) posted on 28 Aug 2012, 10:05 1 1
49. jroc74 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 17:53 8 0
And I can see the rationale from the Apple fans already.....its not necessary. Its useless...etc, etc.
Guess what happens when the next iPhone gets NFC...it all of a sudden becomes the greatest thing in the world...
59. JessJess (unregistered) posted on 28 Aug 2012, 20:45 0 4
Which is exactly what Android fans do. What's your point?
They are called 'fans' for a reason.
60. jroc74 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 21:12 2 0
If I recall....not many Android fans never said the Retina Display wasnt necessary...but I remember many iPhone, Apple fans saying 800x400 screen res was unnecessary.....while the 3GS was on a lower screen res.
I remember many Android fans pointing out how Apple, iPhone fans all of a sudden thought higher screen res was great now that the iPhone 4 had it.
Thats my point.
63. JessJess (unregistered) posted on 28 Aug 2012, 22:38 0 0
.......... Ok if you want.
2. frydaexiii posted on 28 Aug 2012, 08:56 17 1
*snicker*snicker* So what's so innovative this round? More Siri languages? Zero-shutter lag?
6. PAPINYC posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:08 0 7
They did 'zero shutter lag' already; my guess is more SiRi languages so that more people around the world can talk to themselves in long mundane diAlogue like John Malkovich in the TV spots.
7. kartik4u98 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:09 13 1
0.4 inches screen increase..Forgot ha??
12. CharlieAtInfinity posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:39 6 0
Already have zero shutter lag on my Xperia Arc S :)
20. JessJess (unregistered) posted on 28 Aug 2012, 10:06 2 1
The snickers were a lie. So hungry.
65. Raymond_htc posted on 29 Aug 2012, 04:05 1 0
let me guesss.. another crappy processor they made named ''A7''...
the proccessor is actually not that good- its just the iPhone's UI and OS IS JUST TO SIMPLE- a Galaxy ace with iLauncher on it runs as fast as an iPhone.
4. spiderpig2894 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:05 5 1
The Xperia P managed the NFC Xperia SmartTags with its aluminum body
10. doejon posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:21 1 0
but its not a unibody cuz areas where the nfc-chip and other antennas are are NOT covered with aluminum!
11. mas11 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:29 1 0
Probably because it would cut into Apple's profit margin.
13. structureman116 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:45 2 3
Ummm...PA could have saved a lot of space on this page by just writing one sentence on this topic..."The reason why is because its another Apple piece of $h*t"!!
14. frydaexiii posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:53 6 3
You know what I think this is? Imagine
Now : "New iPhone is not likely to feature NFC: here's why"
When new iPhone is released : "OMG! IT HAS NFC! SO INNOVATIVE!!!!!"
So they just made something that should have been, into an overhyped feature.
15. gameday78 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:58 1 3
all of these rumors are chasing people away from buying a new phone... What gives anyone the right to keep passing these along. I was watching my local news and they were talking about it like its set in stone and i know customers are buying into it. so if sept comes and we dont have an iphone launch they are gona freak out... please stop spreading this crap till u know or hear anything from apple. fyi the world will end in dec i read it online!
16. ekia007 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 09:59 1 2
that will be infringment in patent. you can't copy that Apple
17. bucky posted on 28 Aug 2012, 10:01 0 9
i have yet to really see a use for nfc. Apple will most likely make is usefull somehow.
30. aokde posted on 28 Aug 2012, 11:54 2 1
50. jroc74 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 17:56 3 0
Android and other mobile OS's that use it now already made it useful.
Please dont fall for the Apple hype...just because Apple isnt using it doesnt means its useless. You probably think 4G/LTE is a waste of time now too...
54. bucky posted on 28 Aug 2012, 18:45 0 3
I realize that it's not new to the industry but for some reason apple always puts it together. Nobody really cared about video chat before FaceTime. Nobody really paid attention to ppi, thinness of a phone and accessories either before the the 4 came along. I'm not a bias apple fan as I love My sgs2 but apple always makes it work as it should.
Guess we will see what they will do with it mainly with accessories i think.
55. jroc74 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 19:01 2 0
Thats the thing. When Android and Win Mo phone had a higher screen res and ppi....it didnt matter....cuz it was higher than the 3GS. And Android and Win Mo companies didnt hype it like Apple does.
Apple comes and hypes up the Retina Display...now all of a sudden it matters. Phones with higher screen res and ppi were already there, just not hyped beyond belief.
Apple isnt dealing with LTE yet on the iPhone because it a battery drain and kinda unstable. I'm surprised the iPad is LTE....maybe because of the big battery...By the time the iPhone gets it...LTE tech will be more mature...and ppl will think its better because Apple did it. When its really just LTE tech will be better by then.
The more I see it...Apple are the masters of hype. Without really giving real credit to why its good or better on their products.
56. bucky posted on 28 Aug 2012, 19:58 0 0
I fully get what u r saying. Maybe it's just a case of paying full attention to that one feature and making sure it runs as it should. Though the iPhone does lack slightly in the features compared to android it does everything in baby steps(updates) and makes sure they just work.
22. pankajgupta posted on 28 Aug 2012, 10:39 2 1
Never read article on PA that S3 (or a particular Android smartphone) wont have NFC or wud have NFC, wud have that dfeature, wont have that feature..
Only when it comes to Apple, even if a simple feature is present or absent, a new article is written.
Seriously.. no one cares about apple that much... why is every feature in Apple is given so much importance.
24. Savage posted on 28 Aug 2012, 11:15 4 1
No NFC? I'm sorry, How behind is gonna be Apple now? Should we wait for one more year?
They better have LTE in their iPhone this September.
36. PotDragon posted on 28 Aug 2012, 12:57 0 2
We all saw that "survey" a few days ago claiming 4G not that important to "a majority" of users.
When the next iPhone is not 4g on both GSM & CDMA systems, watch how often that "pre fact" is quoted.
41. Savage posted on 28 Aug 2012, 13:32 1 1
Ummmm, Yeah. Say the people who have never used 4G. Once we are used to faster speeds, going back to 3G will be a nightmare. Plus the New iPad has LTE. Why shouldn't the new iPhone?
26. gallitoking posted on 28 Aug 2012, 11:22 2 5
I ask here in the office 20 people aprox. all Android users and not one uses NFC, so I don't see the big deal yet...
29. JessJess (unregistered) posted on 28 Aug 2012, 11:45 1 7
It's a big deal because its not on an iPhone yet but its on Android phones.... that's it. If the situation was reversed, people would be defending why its /not/ on Android phones calling it useless.... (sad but true).
Apple are getting things in place (they just got a patent awarded recently) to put NFC on their phones, and more importantly, give it a purpose for being there for most people. At least that is my hope, otherwise its just another useless feature. There is virtually nothing I can do with NFC here, unless someone else I know has an NFC phone.
40. PotDragon posted on 28 Aug 2012, 13:11 4 2
When "20 people around the office" see you coming, do they all think " here comes that loser to ask about my phones operating system"?
Or just most of them?
42. jmoita2 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 13:40 2 2
LMAO!!! Thumbs up!!!
53. jroc74 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 18:08 0 0
It already has a purpose cuz ppl are using NFC as we speak. You really think it takes Apple to do something for it to be useful?
NFC is used for more than communicating with another phone. There's payment systems. Ppl are using it for that now.
58. JessJess (unregistered) posted on 28 Aug 2012, 20:43 0 0
I already am talking about the payment system btw. That is only available by region. There is no where *here* I can pay for things with NFC.
And no it does not take Apple to do something "useful" but I believe that Apple have the ability to sway adoption.
31. aokde posted on 28 Aug 2012, 11:57 6 0
SONY has figured a way to make NFC usable right away when you unbox your XPERIA:http://youtu.be/LfkFgtoQtFQ
32. JessJess (unregistered) posted on 28 Aug 2012, 12:01 3 0
That's pretty cool :) I like it.
37. doejon posted on 28 Aug 2012, 13:00 1 1
lol paymentsystem in germany for example will offer to pay with nfc
every phone will have nfc except iphone.. than in october 2013 apple will announce the iphone 5s with nfc hahahah
46. kingpet13 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 15:04 1 0
Those 20 people might not use it, but all the people with Google wallet do. I personally use it to send pictures to my sister quicker.
51. jroc74 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 18:02 0 0
And I know of at least 2 ppl who finds it useful.
So whats the point of your 20 ppl survey? Ask those same 20 ppl do they use banking apps on their phones.Would you think banking apps are useless if they didnt use it? Ask them do they buy things online. Would you think shopping online is useless if they dont do it?
We all dont use our phones the same or do the same things. Its useful for ppl that have a use for it. Thats with anything...
27. speckledapple posted on 28 Aug 2012, 11:29 1 1
Mark my words. if all Apple has to show for its iPhone upgrade is a larger screen (with higher resolution I might suggest), thinner profile, and LTE, and a few SIri upgrades, it will be a disappointment to those who felt the 4S was not much of a bump. This will levy largely against them if thats the case.
48. Pdubb posted on 28 Aug 2012, 15:15 0 1
They did add the new maps into the new iOS as well not sure about the other additions.
61. rallyguy posted on 28 Aug 2012, 21:57 0 0
They had to because it doesn't have Google Maps.
34. MattAdorno posted on 28 Aug 2012, 12:27 1 1
I doubt that most people who have phones with NFC actually use it. (Yes, I get that a lot of people still do/would want to use it).
I think NFC is nice feature to have, but not an essential one at this point.
35. Gsmalltheway posted on 28 Aug 2012, 12:51 3 1
I really dont think it will be called the iPhone 5. The 4s was actually the fifth generation iphone. They willl probably just call it the "New iPhone" or the iphone 6
38. PotDragon posted on 28 Aug 2012, 13:06 2 1
It makes me laugh how often the rumors are floated for a handset for which they don't even have the correct name. No chance it is called an iPhone5. None.
39. Gsmalltheway posted on 28 Aug 2012, 13:09 1 2
Yeah i am an Andorid guy but i do give apple that they can count lol
44. Castanedaa99 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 14:38 1 2
People need to get over the fact that it doesn't include NFC...big deal. Just another reason for lazy people not to reach into their pockets and pull their wallets out.
52. jroc74 posted on 28 Aug 2012, 18:06 1 0
They might still have to reach in their pockets to pull their phones out...
The logic is amazing...
Maybe....just maybe....ppl use NFC for convenience. Like Speed Pass. Or Smart Trip cards, or credit cards, or...[insert convenient item here].
47. Qvergnugen posted on 28 Aug 2012, 15:11 0 2
I thought Apple was granted a patent in 2011 for incorporating an NFC antenna in the display screen.
57. rallyguy posted on 28 Aug 2012, 20:08 1 0
This patent thing is absurd. How can you patent the location where you put a chip? Is Apple forever banned from having a removable battery? If they did, tne they would be "copying" someone else. This patent crap has to stop.
You shouldn't be able to patent "round corners" and "a clear screen" with a display under it. Common!!!
64. akbar posted on 29 Aug 2012, 02:53 0 0
It's a little bit of shame that AnandTech has better rummour analysis than phonearena. But wait, they actually write meaningful articles, and not printing any brain-fart which appeared on the internet and than add "What do you think" at the end.