New iPad Air is all about thin: here is how Apple achieved this
0. phoneArena 22 Oct 2013, 13:47 posted on
Apple had no “one more thing moment” or a surprise, but instead it had solid upgrades and a new name: iPad mini for its 9.7-inch tablet…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. funchumm1206 (Posts: 52; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
With same specs as the new ipad mini, ipad air will be cannibalized by the new ipad mini for sure.
2. Finalflash (Posts: 3129; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Well there goes the higher priced iPad, you can get about 1 more inch of screen for 50% higher cost. No touch ID either, guess they are really trying to push that iPhone 5s.
17. buccob (Posts: 2572; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Sony Tablet Z slaps the thinness out of this iPad...
iPad has resolution going for itself, other than that I see the Z being better...
18. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10457; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Don't even bother mentioning the Tablet Z as the iPad Air is far more superior.
24. funchumm1206 (Posts: 52; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
Just because its waterproof or blah blah blah, doesnt mean it will sell well. It's how you sales pitch the product and the product supply. Those two are where Sony is having a hard time. And where Samsung and Apple is Good at.
26. buccob (Posts: 2572; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
And just because it does not sell well does not mean it sucks...
Actually the waterproofing in a tablet is not what I care the most (it is important in a Phone for me)... but Tablet Z is actually thinner and almost as light as the iPad Air and that is very useful for a tablet...
It has enough horsepower, a good display, Ok cameras... in which way is the alternative "far superior"? honestly would like to know, Im not trolling...
36. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Love my Z, it's a great tablet that impresses me all the time. What surprises me is how smooth it is and how long the battery lasts for a tablet as thin as it is. Is it on par with the iPad Air? Who cares. If I wanted an iOS tablet, I'd get the Air and Mini 2, but I wanted an Android tablet and I'm more than happy with that purchase of the Z.
10. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Hey dark im loving the new iPads, what about you??
32. darkkjedii (Posts: 21689; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I think they're pretty sweet WH. I like the mini the most, the specs have really risen. Looking forward to using one.
5. Commentator (Posts: 3704; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Absolutely. I can't imagine why anyone would pay $100 more for the 1.9" extra in display size.
8. garlic456 (Posts: 251; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
Maybe thats because it's nearly two times bigger as the mini one.
The "inch" system is stupid. You can't say my 15" laptop is only three times bigger as my 4" Galaxy Beam
13. Commentator (Posts: 3704; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I understand how squaring things works, I passed third-grade math.
The Mini still provides more than sufficient real-estate when compared to the full-sized iPad, and the number of original Minis sold compared to iPad 4's proves that customers are totally fine with a slight drop in size.
The difference here is that, while the original Mini was just a resized iPad 2 (i.e. 1.5 years out of date), and thus inferior spec-wise in every way to its full-sized brother, the new Mini goes tit-for-tat with the Air, at $100 less to boot. If customers were clamoring for the original Mini when it was released, I can only imagine what this round will bring.
11. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Its so thin because they were able to get the megapixels down to 5.
39. power_x (Posts: 264; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
still some people will opt the bigger display
7. ThePython (Posts: 892; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Probably because some people like it bigger (no sexual pun intended).
9. Commentator (Posts: 3704; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
It's not the size of the screen, it's the motion of the user-interface.
12. ilia1986 (unregistered)
-70% touch sensor
Oh wait - there was none to begin with.
21. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10457; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I told you they'd flood articles later on the day lol.
19. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10457; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Q4 results will tell leave you speechless.
25. erikiksaz (Posts: 170; Member since: 22 Apr 2010)
Not really. They will sell more of the lesser priced, supposedly supply-constrained mini than the more expensive air.
Needless to say. I will pre order one. Then I will mark it up by at least 100 to sell to the nearest iDiot who will be foaming at the mouth for it.
28. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1718; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Haha, Darkk will be first in that line
34. darkkjedii (Posts: 21689; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You love me lol. Awww I wuv you too little buddy.