New York City thief turns down chance to steal flip phone
Yes, criminals apparently know what phones are hot and which are not. Take a mugger in Central Park who just yesterday tried to relieve 25 year-old Kevin Cook of his phone. Cook was walking in the West 60's at around 12:30am Saturday morning, a time of the day when most New Yorkers know to avoid the Park.
Threatening to kill Cook with his gun, the thief demanded that his victim turn over his phone. But when Cook handed over his 3-year old flip phone to the robber, the robber refused to take it. "I guess he didn’t think he could get anything for it," Cook said. "It’s kind of humorous."
Yes, there is an upside for those not a slave to the latest and greatest technology. However, we're pretty sure that most of you would rather have a well-spec'd smartphone in your pocket and take your chances.
source: NYPost via Gizmodo
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8665; Member since: 14 May 2012)
He saw the Sprint logo and gave it back. :')
38. techguymatt (Posts: 18; Member since: 04 Nov 2013)
robber: "give me the phone"..
guy:"her just take it!"
apple id password required... ahhh f***
3. ocilfa (Posts: 333; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
Such a smooth criminal. Why didn't he go after his wallet instead?
11. imMature (Posts: 83; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
That's why you should always have a plan B..
37. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6581; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Thief's are stupid these days thinking it was a iphone but doesn't want a flip phone. How dumb can they get.
5. apple4never (Posts: 964; Member since: 08 May 2013)
he refused it cuz it was a plastic crapsung lol im kidding samsung fanboys/girls
6. gd761 (Posts: 109; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
Carry 2 Cell Phones with you. Your Good High End Phone and a P.O.S. Phone. If and when someone try's to rob you for your Cellphone, hand over the P.O.S. Phone to them.
Brilliant Strategy against getting your High End Phone Stolen from you.
12. imMature (Posts: 83; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
What if the robber asks you to empty your pocket?
21. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8665; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Because the Note 3 in my pocket doesn't stand out on it's own lol..
39. JunitoNH (Posts: 927; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
He doesn't want the note, unless his recycling plastic :) oh..and all that leather.
7. loveHEAVYMETAL (unregistered)
The thief saw the samsung logo and give it back... he know the phone quality is too bad,the cheapest asha or other brand non-smartphone still better than this
seriously, everyone know that samsung just good in quantity(its sales) not in quality
22. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8665; Member since: 14 May 2012)
That's funny, considering every Samsung phone I've had survived drops on concrete without any damages, especially my Sprint phone from 2005. It was the offspring of the 3310.
35. Bernoulli (Posts: 1451; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
And that's why it's always best to go with the real deal, not an aftermarket copy
34. Bernoulli (Posts: 1451; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
No kidding dude, sad but true that's where samsucks numbers lie(no pun intended)
8. hafini_27 (Posts: 257; Member since: 31 Oct 2013)
I would do the same, unless it is a Nokia, lol
10. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
That thief is not-so-thief, he gave the phone back to the guy and he didn't even hurt the guy or steal the guy's wallet. The guy was lucky.
14. dirty_indians (banned) (Posts: 9; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Its not a thief , its a robber . Grow up kid
16. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Does it even matter? Why you're so butthurt? You must be a thief, you should go to jail. You think your name is funny? Grow up you racist tard.
13. Sniggly (Posts: 7115; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
It's kinda hilarious that those joke skits and T-Mobile's commercial are kind of true to life.
19. techloverNYC (Posts: 406; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
As a new yorker you really have to know where to go and where to not go pass 12 am in the city....sh*t gets serious at night
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8665; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Same here in Chicago, only there's certain areas in the city where you should NOT be in past 8pm or at all.
29. GeekMovement (Posts: 1505; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Hey I still have that phone maybe I should reactivate it and use it as my thief deterrent.
People like that thief and other criminals are so worthless. If they need money, they should educate themselves and learn how to get a bloody job even though it's probably going to be minimum wage for a good while. If they're willing to throw away their dignity and harm other people for money or for pleasure, they might as well just throw away their lives first.
30. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 748; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Bitch please, I'm still using a feature phone as my daily driver
32. GeekMovement (Posts: 1505; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Lol nice I miss flip phones. What feature phone are you using?
36. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 748; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Nokia 206. Sadly I saw the Nokia Asha 501 on sale a week after I bought that phone, at the same price
40. JunitoNH (Posts: 927; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
You might be joking, but if these carriers don't improve plans, I'll be going back a feature phone. Just out of principal.
41. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 748; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
I'm not joking. I come from a poor family, hence I'm still using a prepaid SIM card and a feature phone.
P.S. I loled at the 4G prepaid SIM cards
31. menaV1 (Posts: 20; Member since: 14 Oct 2013)
kind of reminds me of the t mobile jump Ad when the robber threatens the guy and gives him his phone and gives it back lol...t-mobile moment.