New Virgin smartphone and pre-paid plans set to take over May 9th
0. phoneArena 07 May 2012, 22:53 posted on
Virgin is going to be making some changes to both its smartphone and pre-paid plans on May 9th; the smartphone plan allows you to bring your your own phone while the pre-paid plan offers a plethora of features...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1232; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Hmm... None of those seem like a good deal.
2. hyperking (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 May 2012)
This sounds good if they want to loose custumers
3. RitaC (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Apr 2012)
Well they about to lose every customer!!!!!!!!!
4. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Stupid, stupid, stupid move. The current plans are like 35, 45, and 55, all with unlimited text and data, and 300, 1200, and unlimited minutes. This is such an insane value drop it isn't even funny.
5. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
It's unlimited data but the first 2.5 GB is 3G speed if you get that. I get spotty data connection during peak hours and typically get 600 to 700 kbps download speeds during offpeak. The data speeds were much faster last year.
I'm still grandfathered at Virgin's $25 a month, but to be honest, I rather be on t-mobile with Exhibit II and 5GB at 4G speeds.
7. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
You're right, of course, but at least it was only throttling, and it was happening at a data level that would fit most customers' needs. The new plans aren't entirely worthless, especially for those customers who have family in other countries, but it's going to hurt their general standing.
6. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3104; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Virgin Mobile/Sprints network is horrible when it comes to data speeds.
8. beryleo (Posts: 12; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
I am relatively sure these are for Virgin Mobile Canada, seeing as they have a bring your own phone option, which involves sim cards, which are not present in the CDMA phones sold by virgin mobile usa.
9. Tarkio (Posts: 30; Member since: 17 Jan 2012)
Good call beryleo. You are right. On the top of page 3, it even says "Canada Wide Talk and Text." These are not US plans. They fit the style of Canadian plans on all carriers to a T. Don't they even look at the images before posting this crap as news? As usual phonearena has proven to be an unreliable source. Even worse, they don't even bother to look at their own "proof" to see what it's saying. Pathetic.
10. troutsy (Posts: 310; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Why are you even here?
I don't mean Phonearena, I mean on this planet... don't you have better places to be?
12. irod87 (Posts: 4; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
These clearly do not look like Virgin Mobile USA. It says Canada on the top.
13. Roomaku (Posts: 278; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
LOL we should have looked at the photos closer!
14. codymws (Posts: 237; Member since: 17 Jun 2010)
That scared me for a sec... didn't realize it was Canada. I just sent one of my friends over to Virgin Mobile because he wanted the cheapest smartphone he could get. I would feel like a huge jerk if they switched to these plans...