New Samsung Galaxy Tab S commercials are here to suggest your tablet's LCD screen sucks
0. phoneArena 18 Jul 2014, 12:26 posted on
Samsung wants to make sure you know its latest high-end Android tablets feature high-resolution Super AMOLED displays...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. blingblingthing (Posts: 432; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Brilliant ads. I really think I know what my first tablet will be.
10. Ashoaib (Posts: 1975; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
so my tablet's screen sucks?.... thats bad
18. derivativex (Posts: 69; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
never bought a single tablet too and the tab S will be a first
2. kosal (Posts: 14; Member since: 19 Oct 2013)
Marketing guys at Samsung are it's main strength...... If only touch wiz is lighter i would have stick with Samsung instead of nexus and now there's no going back.
20. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 835; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Do you know that stock android is handicap compare with TouchWiz. No you don't.
By the way as good it is, Nexus line HAS NEVER MEANT to be high-end, and never will be.
Well now, when Google take from TW many great fetures could be better, though
29. fzacek (Posts: 1641; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Nexus 5 is a high-end phone at a mid-range price...
33. Furbal (Posts: 294; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Magazine UX and the note 10.1's extra pages lag like hell. They are extremely annoying (2014 note 10.1 and tab pro 8.4 owner here).
The tablets would be much better with some of the overlay bloat removed.
3. Iodine (Posts: 369; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
First 99% of all colors around us fit into the sRGB color gamut and 99,9% of all media on the internet are made to fit there as well.
Second, even if you would buy a hypothetical pair of ultra super saturated neon-highlighter green shoes on a Adobe RGB calibrated photo, on an LCD they would appear less saturated, which means you will choose those with an even stronger color, not with weaker color like it's falsely claimed in the AD.
Third, less reflectance is nice, but the problem is not in LCD, but in glass lamination which amoleds have to implement, they are comparing to a non laminated LCD which got an Air gap, that drastically increases amount of reflected light. But the most of the most part of reflectance is in how smudged your screen is anyway.
21. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 835; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
No matter that Samsung are still the best in LCD displays(still sell to Apple), this is obsolete technology.
AMOLED is now best in EVERYTHING. Try to live with that iboy, don't envy, and pray one day Samsung to have enough to sell to Apple.
4. Armchair_Commentator (Posts: 151; Member since: 08 May 2014)
I understand the differences between the two but the commercial, so the women buy clothes / shoes using an LCD and get dull colored clothes, and with the super amoled screen they articles are more vibrant.
I understand what they're trying to say but technically wouldn't it be the other way around?
if you ordered a dull shoe it would be more vibrant, and if you saw it on the amoled would be more saturated than in real life?
5. Iodine (Posts: 369; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Yeah it would, but that's not what samsung's marketing department wants you to think. They want to consider the tab S as the best of the best for everything, including shopping, even at cost of lying to you.
22. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 835; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
There is natural colour mode there, iboy. (But ppl will not use it . Trust me. Or very, very seldom)
6. pwnarena (Posts: 881; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
whoever believes the message of this ad is pathetically stupd.
super amoled displays are brilliant but the idea behind these ads are utterly dull.
if they got dulller colors when they shopped using their LCD tablets, that implies that LCD displays are oversaturated and the amoled displays are dull/washed out. it's completely different from what the ads are trying to convey.
8. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3202; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
At the same time, Samsung rules out that the displays on the Tab pro and note pro series suck. O.o
17. xperian (Posts: 55; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
When displaying black color LCD drains faster, when displaying white then amoled
25. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 835; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Not anymore. AMOLED beats the obsolete LCD in everything.
By the way Samsung are still the best in the old LCD tech, too.
11. PhoneCritic (Posts: 357; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Two things to keep in mind.
1. The vast majority of iPad LCDs are manufactured by Samsung ( so Samsung is saying its older dispaly tech is defficent campared to its new display tech)
2. Amoled displays employed by other manufactures like Motorola and Nokia is Samsung Display tech ( so those are also defficent against its new SAMOLED display tech)
Third thing though these ads are not really fact they are design to make you think so because it is marketing but the proof is when you see a SAMOLED screen next to an LCD screen your eyes and human emotions are drawn instanly towards the SAMLOED device. They say image is everything and first impressions are key. Well Samsung has hit it out of the park with its SAMOLED displays when it comes to grapping the initial attention of the buyer and that is key when you can hook the customer. all in all Samsung had done a great Job with its display technologies. Lets give them that credit.
39. Iodine (Posts: 369; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
1. The vast majority of iPad 4 is manufacteured by samsung, and some retina minis as well.
2. I don't know anything about that, but for example sunlight readability is excelent on Nokia AMOLED's
3. Honestly I can't say my eyes or human emotions are "instantly drawn to the amoled screen". I would prefer the iPad as it's colors are brighter, more saturated and balanced, accurate colors.
12. funnyguy (Posts: 234; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
Truth to be Said.
The Super Amoled technology is the best and it is my favorite.
But Samsung guys have their heads in their asses.
Samsung tablets are an insult for peoples IQ.
Ugly overpriced pieces of plastic that lag and stutter full of useless features.
If they could just:
Make a more premium device.
Change the aspect ratio of the screen to 4:3 just like the Ipad.
Put Vanilla Android instead of Touch Wizz.
Put a better GPU.
Make better and more honest comercials, not Bull.... like these ones.
16. amats69 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
it is the best (for you) because it is your favorite...
34. Furbal (Posts: 294; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
16:10 is the superior aspect ratio in most regards...very close to the golden ratio
13. twens (Posts: 615; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Well, truth be told when you put an amoled next to an LCD we all know which one the majority will pick. That's what the add is trying to say.
14. PhoneCritic (Posts: 357; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Meant Grabbing not grapping. Cant edit post her after 240 secs. Now that sucks.
15. Totse2k15 (Posts: 252; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)
Nice tablets, but the CPU/GPU & TW turned me off from buying the Tab S, tbh...
19. kevin91202 (Posts: 46; Member since: 08 Jun 2014)
Samsung has taken a page from the Apple marketing dept - tell half-truths.
24. GreekGeek (Posts: 777; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
But, Samsung's default Color Profile is super sarurated! I call this Ad BS
26. The-Sailor-Man (Posts: 835; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
What you mean by "default" ???? You can choose whatever mode you prefer . That's called choice.
Or you are just sarcastic?
32. fzacek (Posts: 1641; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
This is complete BS. I have nothing against Samsung, but the first ad is impossibly dumb. Almost everything online is using the sRGB standard, so things will be washed out in real life compared to what's on the AMOLED tablet. LCD's are the ones that show the exact color of the product. Samsung needs to stop lying to people with these misleading ads...
35. JakeLee (banned) (Posts: 1021; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
AMOLED sucks so bad that Naver, the #1 portal site in Korea, had to change its signature green to a less eye catching one.
Naver is founded from former Sammy members, you know why this happend.
36. Arte-8800 (Posts: 4281; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Do you see halogen users and HID bud users complaining about their bulbs, which needs changing after a year than standard build users who emits lights lower than hid bulbs?
37. Andrewtst (Posts: 315; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Actually is Tab S suck. Samsung over vibrant up the color in default setting profile.
38. gigaraga (Posts: 921; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I'm watching this on my ipad and I'm starting to doubt my tablets screen...
40. elitewolverine (Posts: 1569; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Watching this on a 250$ tablet pc, that well is a pc, lighter and bigger screen and gets more done. So tell me why I should buy a 700$ tablet that does less?