New Galaxy S5 camera samples test the 16 MP sensor, compare it with the Galaxy S4, Lumia 1520, and Note 3
0. phoneArena 14 Mar 2014, 08:12 posted on
Samsung's new Galaxy S5 flagship comes with a 16 MP ISOCELL camera, an apparent improvement over the 13 MP shooter in last year's Galaxy S4. The sensor is 1/2.5" in size - quite a bit larger than your average Android phone sensor - and only giving way to the 1/2.3" unit in the Sony Xperia Z1. Granted, Samsung used a larger sensor, but also crammed 16 million, instead of 13 million pixels in it, so the pixel size itself is still 1.1 microns...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Eh, it's not bad actually, but in low light condition pictures do show some noises which is quite not what I expected to be since it has an ISOCELL camera. But still, it's not bad when in well lighten conditions.
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10457; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Test the same scene with a Z2 or 5S (both don't sport OIS) and compare. Where there's light, the camera is pretty damn good.
34. Genza (Posts: 539; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
Z2 has bigger sensor and fast F2.0 lens.
5s has bigger pixel size with 1.5 micron.
46. Genza (Posts: 539; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
Since Note 3 and S4 can take better pictures than S5, i'm pretty sure Both of them (Z2 and 5s) will outperform S5 especialy in low light.
42. reckless562 (banned) (Posts: 1153; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
1.1 microns genza, read the article
48. reckless562 (banned) (Posts: 1153; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
WWAAIITT........ im sorry.....i became dyslexic for a bit there. thought we were talking bout the phone IN the article, the S5.......my bad
57. realthedeal (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Just google this and click on Android (can't post links). I think the Galaxy s5 looks better than the other two in the link I posted, but honestly it looks pretty bad here.
"Galaxy S5 vs One (M8) vs Xperia Z2 vs G Pro 2 nighttime photo samples"
58. GBPN15 (Posts: 6; Member since: 01 Apr 2014)
One will win that one. Its camera is designed to the night. :/ Z2 isn't as good as it. :( Have a Z1
16. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Even note 3 took better photos than s5.
39. gamblor77 (Posts: 106; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Ya pretty mediocre honestly. The irony is I have a Note 3 and the photos are nothing special at all. From my experience the Note 3 takes really nice photos up close (macro) but any kind of scene photo is just OK, low light is pretty horrible like all other Samsungs I've owned. And yes I have tried all different settings and even other camera apps like FV-5 and ProCapture.
This article just adds to my feeling that they seriously sh*t the bed on the S5 and it makes me sad. Here's hoping the Galaxy F with OIS is real and actually takes good pics, otherwise I'll be considering the Xperia Z2 or New HTC One.
43. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3108; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Like all other Samsung phones you've own? Seems like you've never used any other brand before. Because try just about anything that isn't Nokia and low light images all look pretty bad.
49. rickysam (Posts: 44; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
dude dont even think about sony in case of low light photos they r the worst in low light
15. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3718; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yeah, these samples are good from S5 but night shots are horrible even worse than S4. And in good light conditions it's good though compared to 1520.
Let's wait for the samples from the final retail unit which I expect to be better than these.
28. Maryewww (Posts: 32; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
I don't know why i tend to like note 3's photos over S5,
2. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10457; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Picture #4 and #6 are literally phenomenal.
11. szaboagoston (Posts: 43; Member since: 28 Nov 2012)
Agreed. But no smartphone can do decent night shots, perhaps the 1020. A point and shoot like the Canon Powershot s110 or the Sony RX100 II takes a thousand times better low light pictures.
7. milos (Posts: 59; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I totally agree. Look at the detai and noise level. S5 looks worse than S4. Unless they mislabeled the photos
10. mail2eswar (Posts: 15; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
Exactly. I feel in most of the cases S4 is a winner. Pictures from S5 looks more noisy and lost details.
Even in the last photo, Note 3 is clear winner over S5.
The ISOCELL is either a Marketing crap or just a fail in their implementation.
6. chunky1x (Posts: 270; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
Phone Arena's photo viewer is a big steaming pile of cow dung especially when used in slow internet connection. I missed the old version.
13. LiyanaBG (Posts: 381; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
i have very fast 100mps internet and its slow loading they need to change it
8. Nesco (Posts: 12; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
phonearena photo viewer is sh*t..iam sure my connection speed is enough for such pictures...but still it doesn't load
20. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
simple solution for now: go to the source. they load way faster.
9. majp89 (Posts: 171; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
It looks like the S4 and the S5 photos are reversed especially in 18 and 19, there is no way that the camera is that cloudy and noisy and all of a sudden the S4's camera is improved.