New Apple patent allows users to control a device by squeezing the case
0. phoneArena posted on 05 Mar 2013, 13:33
A new patent awarded to Apple on Tuesday allows the user of a mobile device to squeeze the casing to control what is on the screen; besides just responding to touch, a device would now also respond to how hard the touch is and for example, a ringer cold be silenced by putting a certain amount of pressure on the casing...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
7. WHoyton1 posted on 05 Mar 2013, 13:55 8 2
Are you serious because i hope you arent as this is absolutely pointless for example who would go oh wait a second im just going to squeeze my $600 'premium' device to get back to the home page.....no one!
16. MikeG77 posted on 05 Mar 2013, 14:41 10 0
Leave it to Apple to over complicate a simple task like going back to the home screen.
22. SkurtMcGurt posted on 05 Mar 2013, 15:42 13 2
This has to be the coolest thing to happen to cell phones in a long time! - said no one ever.
23. AnTuTu posted on 05 Mar 2013, 15:42 4 4
New Apple patent allows users to not buy an iDevice lolzzzzz
26. -box- posted on 05 Mar 2013, 16:06 2 3
if you'd had a "/s" behind that, you'd have gotten a thumbs up from me.
30. AnTuTu posted on 05 Mar 2013, 18:16 4 3
If you were front of me I'd have slapped you :p (no offense mate) hahahha
32. InspectorGadget80 posted on 05 Mar 2013, 21:06 2 0
man something must be really really wrong with u Mxyzptik.
34. rusticguy posted on 05 Mar 2013, 22:51 1 0
Squeezing and Smooching all the time is good for perverts :D
39. jsdechavez posted on 06 Mar 2013, 05:40 3 0
I wonder what Siri will say when you keep squeezing.... I'm coming?!!! haha
6. bragzter posted on 05 Mar 2013, 13:51 14 1
Wait a minute, how did Apple get that? I've seen that technology in action already. This is not original. That patent office have a bunch of idiots working there
10. nak1017 posted on 05 Mar 2013, 14:10 1 0
It's a soft spot on the case with what looks like a button underneath. They didn't even make it pressure sensitive or anything like that...
14. Contreramanjaro posted on 05 Mar 2013, 14:15 4 0
The last time I saw this I think it was a DoCoMo thing.
13. InspectorGadget80 posted on 05 Mar 2013, 14:15 2 1
so now their saying u can squeeze your phone or they will sue
15. gwuhua1984 posted on 05 Mar 2013, 14:29 3 0
Um... not sure if that's a good thing if the frame was so easily bent...
17. Joker posted on 05 Mar 2013, 14:46 5 1
iFans: I squeezed my phone (from the two edges) to receive calls, but calls keep getting dropped
Apple: You squeezing it wrong!!!
18. TheLolGuy posted on 05 Mar 2013, 15:03 4 0
Guys go youtube search something called 'Grip UI'
This doesn't impress me. They're probably just patenting all they can just because. Don't expect to see this happen.
19. Taters posted on 05 Mar 2013, 15:12 0 0
Watch them try to sue Samsung for the physically double tapping the top of the phone to reach the top of the page thing on the GS3.
20. MartyK posted on 05 Mar 2013, 15:18 4 0
Oh boy, the last time a Ifan try this squeezy-thingy, they lost reception (Antenna Gate part II)
21. Whateverman posted on 05 Mar 2013, 15:38 5 0
Wasn't this already done by another company? Why is it, Apple gets to patent other people's ideas without penalty? I hate patent trolls, but I'm glad Apple is starting to lose some of these cases. Maybe the patent office hasn't gotten the memo yet.
28. timtimity posted on 05 Mar 2013, 16:42 3 0
25. -box- posted on 05 Mar 2013, 16:04 1 1
So they patented their own "deathgrip"? It's controlling the phone, after all: makes it stop working as a phone!
27. timtimity posted on 05 Mar 2013, 16:32 2 0
Wonder if the warranty will cover breaking/cracking your phone because you squeezed it too tightly.
29. luis_lopez_351 posted on 05 Mar 2013, 17:06 1 0
phonearena should show complaint letters to Phone manufactures. they'd be really popular.
31. neutralguy posted on 05 Mar 2013, 18:55 0 0
Is that nokia device on the left part of the second patent picture? HAHA
33. BackHandLegend posted on 05 Mar 2013, 22:04 1 0
still can't get your sh!t together apple?
35. rusticguy posted on 05 Mar 2013, 22:53 0 0
Oh but why can't Apple SQUEEZE something to control their falling stock prices?
38. omarr posted on 06 Mar 2013, 04:53 0 1
That's a good idea , but please apple don't just patent it without using it
40. Rayvelynn posted on 06 Mar 2013, 13:28 1 0
Wow Apple really? This is the best you could come up with? Why am I not surprised, lack of innovation & then on top of that stole someone elses idea. Sad excuse for a company. scared other brands are going to leave you in the dust. NEWS FLASH!!! They already have. lmbo