New Apple patent allows users to control a device by squeezing the case
0. phoneArena 05 Mar 2013, 13:33 posted on
A new patent awarded to Apple on Tuesday allows the user of a mobile device to squeeze the casing to control what is on the screen; besides just responding to touch, a device would now also respond to how hard the touch is and for example, a ringer cold be silenced by putting a certain amount of pressure on the casing...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
7. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Are you serious because i hope you arent as this is absolutely pointless for example who would go oh wait a second im just going to squeeze my $600 'premium' device to get back to the home page.....no one!
16. MikeG77 (Posts: 401; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
Leave it to Apple to over complicate a simple task like going back to the home screen.
22. SkurtMcGurt (Posts: 21; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
This has to be the coolest thing to happen to cell phones in a long time! - said no one ever.
23. AnTuTu (Posts: 1575; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
New Apple patent allows users to not buy an iDevice lolzzzzz
26. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
if you'd had a "/s" behind that, you'd have gotten a thumbs up from me.
30. AnTuTu (Posts: 1575; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
If you were front of me I'd have slapped you :p (no offense mate) hahahha
32. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
man something must be really really wrong with u Mxyzptik.
34. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Squeezing and Smooching all the time is good for perverts :D
39. jsdechavez (Posts: 721; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
I wonder what Siri will say when you keep squeezing.... I'm coming?!!! haha
6. bragzter (Posts: 52; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
Wait a minute, how did Apple get that? I've seen that technology in action already. This is not original. That patent office have a bunch of idiots working there
8. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Money talks, they will pay whatever it takes
10. nak1017 (Posts: 328; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
It's a soft spot on the case with what looks like a button underneath. They didn't even make it pressure sensitive or anything like that...
14. Contreramanjaro (Posts: 153; Member since: 04 Dec 2011)
The last time I saw this I think it was a DoCoMo thing.
37. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
It's US PTO == US Patent Troll's Office :)
13. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
so now their saying u can squeeze your phone or they will sue
15. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Um... not sure if that's a good thing if the frame was so easily bent...
17. Joker (Posts: 24; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
iFans: I squeezed my phone (from the two edges) to receive calls, but calls keep getting dropped
Apple: You squeezing it wrong!!!
18. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Guys go youtube search something called 'Grip UI'
This doesn't impress me. They're probably just patenting all they can just because. Don't expect to see this happen.
19. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Watch them try to sue Samsung for the physically double tapping the top of the phone to reach the top of the page thing on the GS3.
20. MartyK (Posts: 758; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Oh boy, the last time a Ifan try this squeezy-thingy, they lost reception (Antenna Gate part II)
21. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Wasn't this already done by another company? Why is it, Apple gets to patent other people's ideas without penalty? I hate patent trolls, but I'm glad Apple is starting to lose some of these cases. Maybe the patent office hasn't gotten the memo yet.
28. timtimity (Posts: 196; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
25. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
So they patented their own "deathgrip"? It's controlling the phone, after all: makes it stop working as a phone!
27. timtimity (Posts: 196; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
Wonder if the warranty will cover breaking/cracking your phone because you squeezed it too tightly.
29. luis_lopez_351 (Posts: 951; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
phonearena should show complaint letters to Phone manufactures. they'd be really popular.
31. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Is that nokia device on the left part of the second patent picture? HAHA
33. BackHandLegend (Posts: 80; Member since: 15 Dec 2012)
still can't get your sh!t together apple?
35. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Oh but why can't Apple SQUEEZE something to control their falling stock prices?
38. omarr (banned) (Posts: 149; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
That's a good idea , but please apple don't just patent it without using it
40. Rayvelynn (Posts: 124; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Wow Apple really? This is the best you could come up with? Why am I not surprised, lack of innovation & then on top of that stole someone elses idea. Sad excuse for a company. scared other brands are going to leave you in the dust. NEWS FLASH!!! They already have. lmbo