New Android 4.4.2 update starts rolling over-the-air for Nexus devices
0. phoneArena 10 Dec 2013, 01:45 posted on
A number of our readers have been keeping our mailbox busy with news of a new Android 4.4.2 update. The over-the-air patch is apparently rolling out for all Nexus devices, including even the Nexus 7 2014, less than a week after Android 4.4.1 started making the rounds...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. bagou01 (Posts: 20; Member since: 20 Nov 2013)
Also, "nearby places" in the dialer now works with other languages that english US... it never worked in french, and now it does :)
2. apurvdate (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Oct 2013)
just received 52 MB update .. jumped from 4.4 to 4.4.2 :)
5. Scott93274 (Posts: 896; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
Forever stuck on 4.2.2 on my Galaxy Nexus.... I would get a new phone but then I'd have to sacrafice my unlimited data... sigh... why do I keep reading these articles, all they do is make me sad?
6. _Bone_ (Posts: 2126; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Why would you have to sacrifice anything career related if you bought a Nexus 5?
8. boosook (Posts: 992; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Trust me, there's not a great difference in daily use between 4.2.2 and 4.4 (which I now have on the N7). And at least a couple of years will pass before apps will start requiring 4.3 or higher.
16. troutsy (Posts: 258; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Carry an extra line with a feature phone activated on it, yearly subsidized upgrades for only $120/yr + tax/fees.
Source: Googling "Keep unlimited data with Verizon"
17. HildyJ (Posts: 121; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
I moved from a Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5. For me, the 2.5GB I get on t-mobile is enough so data wasn't an issue. What I like is the screen size, the speed, and the feel of the back of the naked phone. 4.4 is nice but I could have lived without it.
21. deathgod (Posts: 120; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
Can't you just root your phone? I'm running CM 11 (4.4.1) on my Galaxy Nexus and you're not missing much.While 4.4.1 is a nice visual change, the abundance of white can't be good for our batteries, so I'll prolly switch back to CM 10.2 after a while.
7. xtroid2k (Posts: 363; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
Waiting for manual update for the sideload
9. Retro-touch (Posts: 257; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
The manual update is available at android police just head there, download zip and flash in recovery
12. xtroid2k (Posts: 363; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
Thanks a lot I'm gonna do that right now. And I got ROM manager who needs a side load
10. GoBears (Posts: 350; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
It pushed to my Nex10 but I didn't install it yet. Does it kill root?
13. xtroid2k (Posts: 363; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
I bet u it does cause 4.4.1 killed my root. I'm about to do this again so I'll let u know
14. xtroid2k (Posts: 363; Member since: 11 Jan 2010)
So it does break root at least on my nexus 5
11. Lmao2013 (Posts: 19; Member since: 05 Dec 2013)
I never even got 4.4.1 it went straight to 4.4.2
15. wolverinexmen9 (Posts: 80; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
I haven't got anything on my nexus 5! Can someone tell me why I haven't received it yet?
18. HildyJ (Posts: 121; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
One other change I noticed is that the Location on the Power Control widget is now a three way toggle - off, battery saving, GPS - which is nice for switching between the latter two without going to Settings.
27. bon24x7 (Posts: 205; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
got the update...straight to 4.4.2 from 4.4 on Nexus 7 (2012).
20. Augustine (Posts: 715; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Yesterday evening I noticed the note on my Nexus 7 2012 about the 4.4.2 update over its 4.4. Unfortunately, nothing that I can tell, other than Photo+ showing up as an app without my downloading it, IIRC, so I assume that it's part of the update. Too bad that the launcher is still Jelly Bean's.
28. Augustine (Posts: 715; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Got the update yesterday evening on my Nexus 5.
24. djva1 (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Dec 2013)
I updated my Nexus 7 (2013) to 4.2.2 today and have a keyboard sound that I can't figure out how to turn off. All obvious setting show no sound on keyboard. It's annoying. I know I'm typing; everybody else doesn't need to know. If anyone has the same issue and figures it out, please post.
25. HTCOE (Posts: 469; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
ive yet to recieve the update...is it going out by regions?
26. kwn0602 (Posts: 6; Member since: 10 Dec 2013)
I live in canada. I tried to update n5 on 3G network several times but it didn't work. It just said mine is up to date.
Anyone who cant get the update without reason? Or is it only in us??
Mine is international unlocked nexus 5. And its rooted