NVIDIA to make its own smartphones and tablets?
0. phoneArena 28 Jan 2013, 00:51 posted on
According to Eldar Murtazin, NVIDIA is looking to increase the share of its Tegra processor in smartphones and tablets, and one way to do that would be for the company to build its own smartphones and tablets for regional producers who will decide whether or not to put their name on the device; the devices will roll out in May-June starting with a 7 inch to 10 inch tablet...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. idroidequis (Posts: 103; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Kinda like what asus did with the laptop and desktop a few years back. Looking foward to a tegra device.
11. cezarepc (Posts: 674; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Project Shield (a Tegra device) sure is sweet. I want to see what kind of smartphone/tab they can produce.
15. cheetah2k (Posts: 1180; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
To be honest, its about time that Nvidia started to do this. I handled a Tegra3 reference tablet made by one of Nvidia's hardware partners, and to be honest I wanted to put it in my bag and run.
The quality was top notch!
Nvidia have more than enough potential to build and sell their own devices just like Samsung.
2. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
this would be nice! tegra chips are respectable and a good chip!
4. gravityron (Posts: 20; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
Rice? Huh? What does that mean? What does rice have to do with a grain of salt?
5. VJo003 (Posts: 351; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
Micomax & Lava as of today have customers in the budget phone category.
For high end products people opt for HTC, decision Samsung etc. If nvidia can get this right & flood the market with high performance & decently priced devices.... There is good probability of success.
10. IHateApple (banned) (Posts: 122; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
+10. If they make a smartphone variant of the Project Shield device, it would be great. 5 inch 720p screen, a low cost variant of Tegra 4, optimized stock Andoid 4.2.2 all for 200$(in India) would be great.
6. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
funny that nvidia is doing this because i actually said awhile back that qualcomm should make their own "snapdragon" smartphone series ...........i think it would be pretty dope if they make a powerful quadcore snapdragon phone with their own chipset inside it :)
7. joey_sfb (Posts: 4453; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
No custom skin please. Just a well tune device optimize for gaming and standard google services. We will add whatever we want later.
9. IHateApple (banned) (Posts: 122; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Optimized for gaming, standard google services, battery life, stability, fluid UI and high benchmark scores.
13. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1100; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Seriously why do you need high benchmark scores? I agree with everything you said but high benchmark scores? Only toddlers argue about who has the highest benchmark score.
12. cdgoin (Posts: 409; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
Similar to the way they do some of thier video cards.. makes sense.
14. ZeroCide (Posts: 725; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
Nvidia should develop x86 chips of their own