NVIDIA talks up mobile graphics, says they'll surpass Xbox 360 next year
1. gayasarafe (Posts: 25; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
god this is so not right!! Console gaming should never die
11. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1888; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Console gaming will never die. Try to tell hard core gamer to play Call of duty on their. Trust me, they will be very angry lol
13. medicci37 (Posts: 1275; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
If console gaming falls off it's the console manufacturers fault. They are not willing to innovate. & keep up with technology. I think it would help if there was more competition. As it stands, Sony & MS are the only major players, when it comes to CG.
17. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Back in 90's yeah nintendo was great, but now that everyone has motion gaming with kinect being controllerless, nintendo is falling behind, especially since nintendo gave confirmation that the wii U only has the power of current gen consoles.
2. deacz (Posts: 162; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
they will tho, youll still need a pc power house to play "real" games and do work on and mobile solutions will take care of everything else
3. kastor (Posts: 43; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
i love games on phones,but that is not taht feel when you use keyboard and mouse ,or joystick on ps,and use a bigg screen
7. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
come on man, use your imagination a little..we will be able to hook up a phone to TV with simple docks like this:
..or use gamepads like this:
4. joeymk (Posts: 101; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)
So angry birds will have dx11? O COME ONE mobile are not for gaming!!!!
5. PackMan (Posts: 277; Member since: 09 Mar 2012)
unfortunately xbox360 isnt even as powerful as previous generation low end PCs.
6. Cyan3boN (Posts: 444; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
I don't care, I'm a pc gamer. our technology keeps evolving.
9. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Well, i think the Nvidia is actually being too modest with these estimates since the ULP geforce already(tegra 2) is significantly more powerful than ps2/xbox, and the PowerVR 543MP4(ipad 3, ps Vita), is almost as powerful as the ps3/360.
And heck, the Adreno 320(Q3/Q4 this year) should be the first mobile GPU that will have clearly more power than current consoles - it will be used in smartphones, but also in widows 8 laptops, for example.
10. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Basically saying the tegra 4 will slaughter the ps3 and 360
18. r41nier (Posts: 70; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
But by next year Sony and Microsoft will announce PS4 and Next gen Xbox which will slaughter Tegra 4.
22. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
..and by the year 2014, Tegra will be on it's 5th/6th generation.
Tegra "Stark" series - "about 75 TIMES FASTER than Tegra 2"
..which should translate into about 7.5 times faster than Tegra 4.
..even if the numbers are off, they give a good idea of what should be in phones by, say, 2016.
Consoles will be ran over by then
23. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
2014 will also be a time when the new xbox and playstation should be out.. each with a rumored at minimum "6x" the performance of the current consoles.. so they will be pretty equally matched. Phones cycle about every 6-9 months for new chips, consoles go every 6-10 years. So yea, eventually the phones should beat them pretty handily sooner or later.
Now, when they catch up to current PCs, ill be very impressed. lol
12. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1888; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I'm sorry to say this, but mobile gaming will never be better than console gaming and PC gaming. Don't give me wrong. It is nice to be able to play games simply by picking up your phone. The consoles and PC gaming have survived for so long for a reason. I do think mobile gaming is a huge market and will keep growing for sure. But people all have their preference and there will always be fans for any of them.
14. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Im just saying the tegra4 will be more powerful than 360 and ps3, not saying it will phase the ps4 or 720 when they release
15. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Cool and all, but GPUs are traditionally power hungry. Here's to hoping the battery life does not suffer.
16. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
What about the Vita? I think the graphics on it are on par if not better than console graphics.
19. r41nier (Posts: 70; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
Finally, smartphone GPU is on par (or better) with a 7 year old console.
20. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4830; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I know, just wait until the new Xbox720 & PS4 come out.