NVIDIA Tegra 4 will come with 72 GPU cores, leaked slide indicates
0. phoneArena 18 Dec 2012, 07:19 posted on
According to a leaked presentation slide, supposedly detailing the structure of the NVIDIA Tegra 4 SoC, the company's next mobile chip will offer 72 graphics cores. All that silicon should deliver six time the raw performance currently offered by the Tegra 3, which has "only" 16 GPU cores at its disposal...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
8. MeoCao (unregistered)
Wow, 64 GPU in a chip
4 A15 cores and 1 A7 core?
28 nm technology.
this chip will blow competition out of water
19. dickwyn (Posts: 552; Member since: 07 May 2012)
it think its 72 CUDA cores something like a geforce graphics card
24. MeoCao (unregistered)
ur right, I'm too excited. lol
23. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1223; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
im really hoping they go for a wolfson DAC with the soc that realtek is no good
28. Captain_Doug (Posts: 735; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Doesn't mention an A7. Speculation is fine but not when you declare it as truth.
2. PackMan (Posts: 277; Member since: 09 Mar 2012)
These must be CUDA cores, not like those in Intel Cpu's.
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
Just curious, what is the advantage of having many gpu core?
7. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
*video performance, specifically for gaming
18. desijatt (Posts: 49; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Mali 400 has 4 cores, and tegra3's gpu has 12 cores but Mali 400 performs better......no. of cores matters but cores wit new and better architecture performs better
25. jove39 (Posts: 1205; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Tegra3 doesn't have unfied shaders so it does lose on efficiency...but those 12 core are good enough to trump Mali 400...If you see benchmark results...Tegra3 performance is really choked by it single channel memory interface. Now These issues are sorted...in Tegra4 to some extent (I'll still like to see 4 channel bus like in A5/A6).
27. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 156; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Mali 400 doesn't have unified shaders either. Tegra 3 GPU is nowhere near Mali, just compare the Note 2 with any Tegra 3 running device.
26. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 156; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
"Core" is a confusing term used in comparison of such chips. Mali 400 MP4 is actually like having 4 GeForce T3 GPUs put together. Tegra 3 is a single GPU. Mali and PowerVR GPUs, can be compared to the GTX 690, while T3 GPU is just a single GTX 680.
32. PackMan (Posts: 277; Member since: 09 Mar 2012)
Wrong. Gtx 690 has two physical GPU's. Kind of like having two xeons on the same board.
54. yowanvista (Posts: 275; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Wrong, CUDA Cores are more like stream processors and not actual physical cores. It has nothing to do with regular cores.
10. protozeloz (Posts: 5326; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Cores are used to do math calculations (for graphics)
its like having a two way street with only two lanes vs one with 4+ lanes, when you have
100 cars can go faster on a 4 lane road than a 2 lane one
12. wendygarett (unregistered)
Got it :)
So how do you think about this?
I just wanna learn more thing so no offense lol
22. protozeloz (Posts: 5326; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
How do I think about the analogy?
What do I think about that processor?
39. tedkord (Posts: 3908; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I think that's a better analogy for the bus width than the number of cores. Number of cores would be likened to the number of cars, each carrying information.
If you've got 72 cars (full of information) trying to deliver it down a single lane road (say, a 64-bit wide bus), they will be slower than on a dual lane (128-bit), which will still be slower than on a quad lane (256-bit).
More cores can calculate more math, but other factors like bus width and speed and GPU efficiency can bottleneck it such that another, fewer core GPU is more efficient.
5. sorcio46 (Posts: 392; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
Nvidia please get rid of the PRISM technology, it only gaves a poor contrast to the screens.
6. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
This will eat up exynos and qualcomm immediately. :D
21. jove39 (Posts: 1205; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Qualcomm never chose to implement A15 cores (krait is not entirely A15)...so current king APQ8064 will be dethroned in next few months...but Exynos 5 will have A15 cores...so It'll be Tegra vs Exynos next year.
30. Captain_Doug (Posts: 735; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
The battle I want to see will not be from processor to processor since I know those will be amazing but to compare a T-604 in the 5250/5400 vs the Tegra 4 GPU. Mali has done very well inthe GPU department but if the GPu in the Tegra 4 is a s powerful as they say this may be interesting.
38. TylerGrunter (Posts: 780; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
For the theoretical count the T-604 and the Tegra4 GPUs should be in the same range, it will depend on speed of the memory bus and the clocking.
But we'll have to wait for the benchmraks to have any final saying.
42. jove39 (Posts: 1205; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
T604 is no match for 72 nvidia cores...believe me on this! I also doubt low memory bandwidth may restrict performance of nvidia gpu.
51. TylerGrunter (Posts: 780; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
I´m talking here just with the theoretical numbers, so I won´t put my hand on the fire here. My expectations is that the GPU will be somewhere between the Mali-T604 and the PowerVR SGX 554MP4, but as I said to Pedro0x I´m making a bold assumption here: that the new cores are only able to do 1 MAD per cycle. If I´m wrong there my calculation is screwed, but if I´m right (and I´m probably right) it should be quite a good aprox. We´ll see it when it comes out anyway ;)
36. TylerGrunter (Posts: 780; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Not really, the Exynos 5 is currently using Mali-604 and 32nm as a technology.
If the next Exynos one is on 28nm and uses a Mali-624 instead it will be Exynos victory again.
The Tegra 4 has "only" 72 cores, that gives you a theoretical limit of 43.2 GFLOPs @300 MHz, that's well below the PowerVR SGX 554MP4 on the iPad 4 (76.8) and just in the range of the Mali-604.
40. Pedro0x (Posts: 270; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
That is because SGX554MP4 has 128 MADs which means 4 MADs per 1 SIMD. If tegra 4 will use 2 MADs per 1 SIMD then it will 144 MADs and that equals 86,4 GFLOPS at 300MHz and as I know NVIDIA they will overclock it to at least 500MHz which equals 144 GFLOPS, holy f---.
41. TylerGrunter (Posts: 780; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
You are right there, I'm assuming 1 MAD per cycle, but as that was the case in the previous GPU, I don't think it's a bad assumption. If the new Kepler cores can do 2 MADs per cycle then this GPU could be awesome. But I prefer not to put my hopes very high.
47. Pedro0x (Posts: 270; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Yes, of course, we can not have our hopes too high. But it would be awsome if NVIDIA would do it. But Apple will surely just add 2 more cores and overclock it.
48. nokia4ever (Posts: 9; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
what about new power vr g6630 i think it is the best without a doubt read this article
49. Pedro0x (Posts: 270; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
I believe that is a fake, this new power vr is suppost to have around 213-230 GFLOPS so 3x more poweful. This should come out late 2013. And Xbox 360 graphics has 240 GFLOPS so this will finally have ´´console graphics´´.
9. mercorp (Posts: 954; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Let the SOC wars vs exynos 5450&s4 prime begin!
11. jove39 (Posts: 1205; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
72 core gpu is awesome...finally tegra got a dual channel memory bus...hope they clock it very high...to provide enough data to those hungry cores :)
13. atsamman (Posts: 72; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
so this means if I buy the latest of Google (nexus 10) it will be an old technology in 3-4 months
so why didn't they release the nexus 10 with this chip?
14. Lawliet (Posts: 160; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Because it takes time to design, and this chip weren't available then
45. atsamman (Posts: 72; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
its not about time I am talking about cause I was waiting for so long for Google to release a 10 inch tablet and now that it did
even though I want the nexus 10 so much and I want to buy it
I now have second thoughts to to wait for the new tetra 4 tablet
my point I don't want to keep upgrading all the time I just want something that will serve me for at least 1-2 years without thinking of upgrading
I am just saying that maybe Google shouldn't have rushed with nexus 10 and maybe waited for the tetra 4
52. Lawliet (Posts: 160; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Because an A15 chip can't serve you for 2 years, huh ?
15. jove39 (Posts: 1205; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
2 core Exynos5 is no slouch...its fast enough...just not fast as Tegra4...in another 4 months or earlier we'll see 4core Exynos...with T658 gpu...then it'll be able to compete with Tegra4!
37. TylerGrunter (Posts: 780; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
I doubt the will use the Mali-T658, the 8 cores are too power hungry.
Anyway, the Mali-T604 should be already in the same range as the GPU in the Tegra4, and if Samsung uses the new Mali-T624 instead they'll easily surpass it.
46. atsamman (Posts: 72; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
how does the mali -t604 compare to the gpu of the tegra 4 that's my biggest concern?
16. zaryab_hussain77 (Posts: 102; Member since: 30 Jun 2011)
Next year Exynos will still lead.. ;)
31. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
on 2014, nvidia will bring its PC video cards to smartphones. Watch that out mate. :))) jk
20. ultimatebatman (Posts: 52; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
I already know that I must buy devices that use this chip, simply because it's named after Batman (notice the "Wayne" on top).
33. champ_vl (Posts: 44; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
so many cores but it still doesn't destroy the competition as it should. The 16 core GPU is actually inferior to the quad core Mali 400. It's just numbers from NVIDIA...not that good of a performance
35. Shubham412302 (Posts: 293; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
dont look at benchmarks
the qraphics quality in tegra 3 is best
thats why games are thd not malihd
53. MC1123 (Posts: 1220; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
are they using there own GPU like snapdragon's adreno?
and i think i disagree with the statement that Tegra 3 is the weakest on its competition...wasnt oneX runs on tegra 3 but why is it still on top on benchmark test?
55. Robert235 (Posts: 49; Member since: 30 May 2010)
Even thought im a a snapdragon fan,72 cores sound awesome ,Always had nvidia gpu on pc. Ironically isn't snapdragon is co-developed by amd?
56. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
This is good for all of us no matter how you look at it. Even if nvidia is not your cup of tea. This will only push Qualcomm and Samsung to up the anti in their respective chip sets. I just hope battery tech can be picked up to keep pace with these ever hungrier processors.