NJ town bans texting while walking
0. phoneArena 11 May 2012, 17:36 posted on
Fort Lee New Jersey, home of the fictional Roseanne Rosannadanna has another dubious claim to fame; the town has started ticketed those pedestrians who are texting and walking which the local police say can lead to getting hit by a car...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. GALAXY-S (Posts: 701; Member since: 07 Jun 2011)
WTF!! really.. the smarter the phone the dumber the person i guess!
7. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Then they also should ban beautiful girls because they distract my attention also. :D
8. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Agreed. They should banish Snooky,though!!! lol.
11. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
You mean, Snooki wants smoosh smoosh? LOL :D
16. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
they should ban the hole jersey shore crew.
10. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
If you can't texting while walking, you still can texting while running. LOL! :D
2. tedkord (Posts: 10630; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Another proud moment for my home state, The Socialist Republic of New Jersey, where we never met a tax, fee or fine we didn't love. Don't fool yourself, this is all about the town's coffers, not safety.
3. Commentator (Posts: 3669; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
This is a serious problem! A friend of mine was texting and walking, tripped over a curb, and broke his arm in two places. He too focused on trying to type on his tiny iPhone screen to notice the curb... or it was because he was highly intoxicated... maybe both.
4. GeekMovement (Posts: 2155; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Wow! ... i always watch where I'm going or I just stop briefly to text and then keep walking, but i never really trip or bump or get hit by anything... interesting.
5. Mark.J.Linskiy (unregistered)
This is just ridiculous. People need to stop getting so distracted by their phones, and the Police Officers need to find something better to do. To put someone on a Most Wanted list for texting and walking just shows that the cops have too much free time or don't want to put much effort in fighting actual crime.
9. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3104; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
lol this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Just a way to bank on every stupid thing.
I can see it now.
"Police officer stops his car in the middle of the road and gets out of his car."
SIR YOU NEED TO STOP WALKING RIGHT NOW, YOU CAN'T TEXT AND WALK AT THE SAME TIME, THATS AGAINST THE LAW. HERE'S A TICKET!
What if you are using a tablet and browsing the web?
What if you are simply LOOKING at your phone and a cop thinks you are texting so he gives you a ticket? That my friends, is BS.
12. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
This is funny! I was just talking about people put too much attention on texting and then running into things the other day to my friends.
13. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
All this situation reminds me this episode of Sauth Park (Faith Hilling):http://goo.gl/MefTC
14. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
this has already happened in central ohio.
15. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Are u shyting me? 85$ for walk n text? They SHOULD BAN TEXT DRIVING all togther. The city govt are a bunch of dumb a$$e$..
17. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Talk about dumb laws already in the books, here's another one that proves humanity still doesn't learn a damn thing from the past. This should interesting, what about people who are using their MP3 players and searching for a tune while walking want to ticket them too? Can't say I'm surprised as it is NJ we are talking about here, the same place where the highway sign placement looks like it was set by a bunch of drunks, leading people to get lost, NJ should be fined for inept sign placement instead.
18. axllebeer (Posts: 271; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
I gotta call BS on this one. Not that I don't believe it, but that it's BS! Here's a better idea:
If you for some reason feel it more important to txt or whatever on your phone and just walk out into traffic, then I say let everyone do it and decrease the surplus population! It's like the helmet law sort of in a way.
"We're going to force you to wear this little hat because you won't do it yourself to protect your poorly functioning brain that apparently doesn't want to protect the cracking of the skull that it's in. "
Really? As someone else stated, there are other things to do...
19. iluvtrolling (banned) (Posts: 15; Member since: 11 May 2012)
Stupid Android device doing things slowly causing such accidents!!
Damn it, you are affecting the rest of iOS/WP users that smoke you in terms of speed.
21. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
As your name indicates....you are clueless....my DROID RAZR actually sends out SMS faster than the wife's iphone 4S, and I can create a people widget where I can just tap and text even faster...smoke on that, loser.
20. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
It is a dumb law, but it is for dumb people who do this...I see it at work and on the streets and I have seen a guy text and walk and almost get hit by a car...if someone in a car cannot text and drive, then a pedestrian who is on the streets at street corners, walking, should have the same rules, as well as a normal bicyclist.
Now, if you are on your lawn, then the rule would not apply, I would think.
Again, dumb law...but, look what the human race does, nowadays....
22. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
easy fix...just stop walking and then text.
23. axllebeer (Posts: 271; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
Yes. Exactly my point. Much more straight to the point than the other thing I said but this is the solution, another law that should never have been needed.