NBA refs should wear Google Glass during games says Houston Rockets GM Morey
0. phoneArena 17 Aug 2013, 20:33 posted on
On Friday, Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey took part in a Reddit AMA and the subject of Google Glass came up; the question came up about NBA refs wearing Google Glass and allowing a television audience to view what the refs are seeing. Before we get to Morey's response, we should let you know that he is not your typical GM...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. quakan (Posts: 1328; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Unless Glass could point out the right calls to make for the ref then I see no point honestly. A first person pov of what the ref sees isn't necessary.
2. kozza3 (Posts: 696; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
c'mon, you gotta admit that would get some heavy usage. im think live feeds?
but i would get more excited about the NFL using something like this, and not locked down to refs
7. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
dont know about NFL but for NBA i think what we need most is a mind reader, to understand what is Joe Crawford and other refs like him are thinking when they give out free fouls.
18. phil2n (Posts: 487; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Jaw Crawford you mean Miami Heat 6th man or 7th?
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10312; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Good, so people can call bs if a ref makes a bogus call.
4. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1976; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Their jobs aren't exactly easy, and the speed of the game and the tempo of modern offenses exacerbates that problem. Do you really think it would be any easier for these guys if they knew fans were piggybacking on their view? For that matter, how useful or coherent would that feed be for the fans? It's a tightrope, being a ref, because fans and broadcasters want them to make the right call, 100% of the time, either solo or with replay, but they had better not drag the game out too long or break up the action or pace because the crowd needs bread and circuses.
5. kozza3 (Posts: 696; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
well that is what they're getting paid for... seriously?
9. Ohrules (Posts: 327; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
actually, umpires in a cricket match had cameras integrated into their caps and their view was broadcast live as well.
here is a sample:
10. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1976; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Cricket is a little easier to broadcast from a ref's view than American football. 22 guys smashing into each other and running at breakneck speeds is a little tougher to capture clearly than a cricket match.
13. blazee (Posts: 401; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
The refs in NFL make over 150k for 16 games so i have zero sympathy for their mistakes. And obviously the video capture would have to be up to par before implemeting it
6. blingblingthing (Posts: 513; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
As someone that watches the games, I've said the same multiple times. Same play viewed and different angles will be called differently. Then factor in you should be aware of the shot clock and seeing if a player in inbound or not. Beyond the arc or not. Is the defender in the illegal Zion's or not is complicated.
Fan often have the benefit of replay but seeing the same play real time is way different.
15. av911 (Posts: 184; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Of course not, 'cause Apple's not involved here.
17. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
exactly av911 he's just blind
16. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
It's very clear. Refs could wear Google Glasses so that they could capture and replay the things they see on the court from their own P.O.V.
Looks like someone is enjoying the absents of the thumbs down button.
12. blazee (Posts: 401; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
WOWW that is actually a great idea! i would love to see a refs point of view when he decides on making a call and not just in NBA but any other sport, espeically NFL.
14. phoenix225 (Posts: 2; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Its a good Idea. Then we can be in the refs shoes. They make a bad call, we can see what they just saw. It should be used in MLB!!
19. amilcarmz86 (Posts: 95; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
i think they should wear this to see LEBRONS flopping replays... lol