Mystery Wi-Fi issue still affecting Nexus models running Android 4.2.x
0. phoneArena 09 Feb 2013, 17:10 posted on
At the Google Code website, a long thread, now closed, details problems with a mystery Wi-Fi problem called issue 40065 which started in November and the last post was dated February 1st; apparently, the issue causes Wi-Fi to just cut out and stop working despite showing normal signal strength and there is no connection and no syncing...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. androidfurever (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Improbable. Nexus devices tend to not have software issues like this.
2. Tsoliades (Posts: 223; Member since: 22 Dec 2012)
Yeah, I haven't experienced any of this on my Nexus 7.
4. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4214; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Yes, because your device hasn't experienced it that means there is no problem, of course.
Come on. There was a whole 4 months between 4.1 and 4.2, there were bound to be some problems, this being one of them. 4.2.2 or 4.2.3 should fix all the bugs, and all Nexus owners will be happy.
7. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
haha tell em like it is bro
19. techtruth (Posts: 30; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
there IS a wifi issue in new nexus devices but if you or anyone else is suffering from the issue, just install wifi manager and use it as your wifi toggle tool... and the problem is resolved
23. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7699; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Can you say that with a straight face? I didn't think so.
24. androidfurever (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Nexus devices don't have these types of issues -_- there straight face. Enjoying your iPhone with randomly disconnecting wifi?
26. MrJerry (Posts: 403; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Love your straight face lol
and Good one mate!
33. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10084; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The iPhone doesn't have WiFi anymore haha. Apple's revolutionary iOS 6.1 update pretty much disabled it and only let users browse over celular data.
36. androidfurever (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Absolutely magical and innovative.
27. MrJerry (Posts: 403; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
I understand what you meant by that..
But I think you are THE KING OF THE KING in terms of barefaced impudence who can say such things with a straight face..Aren't you?
41. cheetah2k (Posts: 1244; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
"But I think you are THE KING OF THE KING in terms of barefaced impudence who can say such things with a straight face..Aren't you?"
Head hurts, need Google Translate!
3. JunBringer (Posts: 118; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
No issues on my Nexus 4 and I use an Apple wifi network lol.
10. darkkjedii (Posts: 16958; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Don't try to deflect the issue at hand away by bashing apple. The nexus is a great device, but not perfect. Issues affect these devices...it's part of tech.
12. joey_sfb (Posts: 4583; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
The mention of using a Airport device is bashing apple. Great Logic!
21. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Don't try to deflect the issue at hand away by bashing apple."
Could you explain, in which way he is bashing Apple?
5. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
My Nexus 4 hasn't had any Wi-Fi issues, but my Nexus 7 has all kinds of problems. I often get a "can not connect to proxy server" error in Chrome, which is fixed after turning off Wi-Fi for a bit. Thing is, I've had this problem for a few weeks (while running on 4.1.2).
34. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10084; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Had the same problem with Google Chrome on my GS3 running stock 4.1.1. I un-rooted, installed Google Chrome beta, and now it seems to work perfectly.
6. andrews317 (Posts: 15; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
More than a month with me N4 and its the first time I hear from this.
8. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Zero problems with my N7. I've had it since July '12.
9. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Funny how this story uses every excuse under the sun to make the issue look small but their earlier article about problems in the Windows Phone store gets blown out of all proportion. Meanwhile, idiots like michal fisher and joshua topolsky wonder why we get so frustrated. There's a difference between highlighting a products flaws and spewing out vitriolic fanboy garbage to disparage a competing platform, which is 'something that happens regularly at the verge and pocketnow. I suggest WP users boycott those sites altogether; I know I have.
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 16958; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Issues happen, what's the big deal. Google will fix it.
13. techguy22 (Posts: 227; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
oh wow what an coincident i was about to report that to google. my nexus 7 keeps disconnecting. i dont think they play well with WPA2 smh
going try a new rom soon
14. tedkord (Posts: 7952; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Hmmmm. I'll have to check my sons Nexus 4 when I have a day off.
15. wendygarett (unregistered)
Just updated my nexus 7, and let's hope I have no issue on that... And hope my iDevice as well which running the ios6.1, since today is a lunar new year to me :)
35. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Oh Wendy, is their any device you haven't claimed you own?
37. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Don't pay attention at him, nor he has something, nor he will own something, he is just a troll. One day he says that he loves Apple, other day says that he hates Apple, in one comment he says that he will buy Sony Xperia Z and after few minutes in other comment he claims that he will buy Nokia Lumia 920 and so on and on...
42. cheetah2k (Posts: 1244; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Thats what PMS does to ya.. indecisions, indecisions... LOL
16. bucky (Posts: 2145; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I had the same issue with my n4. Weak wifi or disconnecting. Even my iPhone 5 had it before an update took care of it. A good software update should fix that up and maybe the battery drain from the media server as well.
17. yyuu1000 (Posts: 163; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
i own a nexus 4,7,10 and there is no wifi problem
18. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 575; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
I'm not having any wifi issues, but the bluetooth on my Nexus 7 has been on the fritz since the latest 4.2 update.
22. cR203 (Posts: 198; Member since: 27 Jan 2013)
My nexus 10 has WiFi issues. Sometimes it drops the wifi for no reason. Then at times when I'm on the internet it doesn't load web pages even tho my WiFi signal is strong.
25. linneti15 (Posts: 49; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Phonearena wifi is pretty spotty on my gnex running 4.2.1 aswell, but it has always been spotty but i think it might be slightly worse with this update
28. Shinydesert (Posts: 62; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
I've been having this isssue for a few months now,I have a Google Nexus and the problem happens when I use wireless N. I have returned two routers (Buffalo and Netgear). When I call Google support we go through all the troubleshooting with no luck at all,so they always offer a replacement from Samsung,which has the same issue.
Some say it is because of the wifi standard.
I never thought I could come across this BS with Google.
29. judyinnyc (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I got my first Nexus 10 a couple of weeks ago, random reboots, then freezing and finally it would never boot beyond the Google logo. Got a replacement, worked great for a couple of days, now can't keep WiFi connection more than 10 minutes. I am so disappointed...
38. JunitoNH (Posts: 1354; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
No worries, it is not the update, is just typical Android.
30. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
its stories like this that make me happy that i have a galaxy nexus and a nexus 10 :-)
31. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
no issues other than battery life on my galaxy nexus. have brought a double capacity battery for it tho.
32. RGreen (Posts: 64; Member since: 06 Jul 2012)
Not Android's Flagship with Wi-Fi problems , "got to love it" too many Android Guru's out there, chit I love Android but the word technology refers to the making, modification, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems, and methods of organization, in order to solve a problem, improve a preexisting solution to a problem, achieve a goal, handle an applied input/output relation or perform a specific function. It can also refer to the collection of such tools, including machinery, modifications, arrangements and procedures. Technologies significantly affect human as well as other animal species' ability to control and adapt to their natural environments. The term can either be applied generally or to specific areas technology information technology. "got to love it"
40. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
4.2.1 on GNex works fine without issues.
44. Olly1978 (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Feb 2013)
There most certainly are serious wifi issues with all Nexus devices since the update to 4.2 - however they only manifest themselves on certain routers. This is why many Nexus owners are baffled by the talk of issues.
45. sundragon (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
Nexus 7 16GB - just replaced by Google for the screen separation issue so it's brand new.
The wifi says it's connected (blue) but the internet is non responsive and the wifi indicator has an arrow that is constant. Restarting the router only has a temporary effect. Restarting the tablet has a temporary effect. I've wiped and reset the tablet with no effect.
I have 6 devices on my router and none experience this kind of issue. Furthermore, this issue is replicated in the wild on other people's Wifi. I've given the device its own IP address on the router to make sure it's not an IP issue and I've turned off NFC. Nothing has helped and I'm using it less and less...
Coming from owning Apple devices and wanting to switch - The last device with this many issues was my iphone 3G, 4 years ago... I want to switch to Android but the issues this thing has had (I've had 3 Nexus 7s, 2 replaced by Google Warranty) since I bought it in August 2012 have made it a bad experience. Google is tight lipped as Apple when it comes to these issues. My last iPhone, iPad, and current 5 have minor issues compared to this.
Wifi is a primary function of this tablet! As my non Android friends ask me about my experiences with Android, I will be telling them of this, sadly - It's the second Android Tablet I've owned and each time I've been quite unhappy :(
I was looking forward to the Nexus 7^2 but I'll probably purchase an iPad Mini because of the continuing issues - I feel like I paid to be a beta tester
46. Shinydesert (Posts: 62; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
I got so sick of the same issue that I sold my Nexus devices and switched brand without looking back.
Google was willing to replace my devices,but I always had the same problem,regardless of the wifi router.
Very happy with my little Samsung Tab,Samsung S3 and happier with the LG Optimus G.