Mystery Samsung device identified, it isn't the Note III
0. phoneArena 21 Apr 2013, 12:22 posted on
This past week, we saw a mystery Samsung device that had a decidedly different design than we are used to seeing from Samsung. The early rumors said that the device could be the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note III, but now SamMobile is saying that is not the case and has identified what the device actually is...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
11. jcarrigan (unregistered)
please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please make the note 3 out of some type of metal :) I love Samsung phones but making a metal one will give it a whole new look, surely samsung doesnt want to make the iPhone mistake and pretty much stick to the same general design on a new phone year after year.
22. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Samsung Galaxy devices do have metal on them between the screen and black plate. The reason the back is made of plastic is because metal causes problems with the wireless chip, wifi and NFC. HTC was able to fix it first so they got the first full metal phone, it is believed they fixed it by making the things go around the camera area, Look at the metal black plates 3rd party makes, they completely break NFC and severe your wifi/ wireless connection. Trust me, if Samsung had figured out how to fix the metal issues they would of used metal.
27. jcarrigan (unregistered)
well the least they could do until they make a FULL metal one is to go back to the sliding back plates. the way the back plates come off now just feels like one day im going to break.
28. jcarrigan (unregistered)
and i dont count having metal on the side as it being a metal phone.
36. yahoo29 (Posts: 71; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
Your right that's why sammy doest make metal back because of that problems.
39. JEverettnow (Posts: 224; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Yeah, I tried to transfer a file via NFC to an HTC one and it didn't work, hmmmm
12. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Failed prototype? But that looks good to me. May be Samsung should think over design change now! People love the hardware and chip a new design will win the hearts of critics for design.
13. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Reminds you of Sony Xperia smartphones right? They have rectangular design too, same as this failed prototype! :)
33. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Same as GSII, Omnia M, Omnia W, Wave M, Optimus G etc..
Try harder next time.. =]
37. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
Maybe bcoz the it has sharp edges like Xperia Z that is uncom4tble to hold. Xz feels bigger than my note2
19. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Probably a Tizen phone might follow this kind of design language in future - my guess.
We all know Note 3 will be a bigger S4 with the same plastic unless Samsung wants to break that tradition. Note 2 was a bigger S3 and the first Note was a bigger S2.
2. _VipeR_ (Posts: 47; Member since: 30 May 2011)
Can't wait for the design renders to start hitting on the Note 3. Hoping that the rumored metal body is brought to fruition.
4. ajac09 (Posts: 1421; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
k bring on the note 3 rumors and leaks and fakes lol
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Phew! I know Samsung won't make the Note 3's design like this!
(Takes deep breath) Ahhh......I'm feeling better right now! :)
6. ckoch125 (Posts: 191; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Looks like it may be one of their WP devices.
8. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
ckoch125, read the article properly, it said "a failed prototype design for the Samsung Galaxy S4." :)
23. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Samsung isn't making windows phones, they are against windows 8.
41. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Then why did they make Ativ S?
10. MultiYouTroll (Posts: 29; Member since: 19 Apr 2013)
what does it look like now? does it look like a phone? a rectangular one? with a home button? with volume rockers? with android in it?
hurrr durrr.. everything they do is a copy.. hurrrrrr...
What would you expect a smartphone should look like? wavy sides with uneven bezels? People complain too much about manufacturers copying each other..
16. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1062; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Now a plain rectangle shape is copying?
9. LodeStar (Posts: 28; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
oh no not another huge screen with low specs phone, or it could be the galaxy s4 mini im so haaapy
14. KFear (Posts: 137; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
Won't this just make the Note 3 heavier. I vote for a nicer, non-glossy plastic with an ACTUAL aluminum side band along the boarder. I've had metal phones before and they tend to show scratches, dents, and scuffs a lot more than a good plastic.
I've held the S4 in my hand. It's very hard to say that it feels and looks cheap. Just wait, you'll be surprised with how much better "plastic" can feel.
20. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1062; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
This, for the Note which is a big device using metal would bring the weight to about 200g which could be a tad heavy for some users, and despite liking the HTC One's design more than the Samsung's i actually find the Galaxy S IV quite good looking with the aluminium sides. (I don't like the S3 because of the faux metal look.)
21. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Its not like only metal or glass is beautiful. A unibody look polycarbonate like one we find in Lumia can be a good choice too.
24. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Well it looks better than the present S4 :s
25. PostalJim (Posts: 46; Member since: 01 Sep 2011)
for nobody liking the plastic galaxies, they sure sell a lot of them. to me, for one.
30. lhtbinh1909 (Posts: 89; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
for those who dislike me when i tell the truth, where are you?
Just joking :D
31. mydi.maus (unregistered)
just a old sammy prototype.
32. imkyle (Posts: 1046; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
It looks an early prototype of a Galaxy model, but never saw the light of day. They should use this design for the S5
35. Andrewtst (Posts: 461; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
To bad this is not final S4. Haizz!
Overall look ok except the center menu button.
38. McLTE (Posts: 745; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I am perfectly fine with the current design using plastic.. HOWEVER.. for the love of all that is holy.. STOP using glossy plastic! Give it a rubberized coating and I will forever be happy!
40. Xolar (Posts: 57; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
for me, it looks much better than the current S4 design
42. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 216; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
I like this design better. It reminds me of the S2. Wish Samsung would give more design options to the customer, instead of repeating that same S3 type of boring design on all phones.