Mozilla unveils Firefox OS developer preview phone
0. phoneArena 22 Jan 2013, 06:54 posted on
Mozilla’s Firefox OS is a mobile operating system that will have a tough time cracking the iOS/Android duopoly, especially now that we have…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. platformwars (Posts: 86; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Looks just like the oldest Iphone.. just in Plastic.. Specially with the round button just below the screen.
9. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
Whats the point of having another operating system for a budget phonevwhen android is free and way ahead of everything but ios and is in a way ahead of apple in areas. Really freaking stupid. Should have done this in 2007 or earlier . . The only area I can see a take over is making a new operating system for the dumb phones and featur phones that use oh I forgot its java sounding name and I think uses java. Its like brew or somthing
17. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Firefox is also free too... And I have it on my phone right now, and its pretty awesome
2. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
looks WAYYY too much like an iphone lol even the ui is similar
4. MeoCao (unregistered)
lol this is low cost phone so innovation is not required (welcomed though)
Hopefully it works Ok
8. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
true.......no hating involved was just pointing out the obvious i guess lol
13. akbar (Posts: 62; Member since: 09 Feb 2012)
WoW the Iphone is so much like the cheap smartphones of today. Even the UI is similar :)
5. MeoCao (unregistered)
Not really, in poorer countries people would love to have low cost but good phone
19. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
My domestic help who carries a Nokia phone isn't a retarded for sure ... not to the extent that she can call others retarded. India is a different market where Apple can never rule despite the simple UI ... Micromax phones sell more than Apple here :)
14. akbar (Posts: 62; Member since: 09 Feb 2012)
And this is the right answer. I have been to Nepal, Thailand, Cambodia and there Nokia 1100 and company rules. And the people are using their hpones to make their lives better and easier, not to brag on the internet how much faster their new LTE phone loads cat videos from Youtube.
This can be a game changer.
15. MeoCao (unregistered)
True, $50 smartphones will make those people's lives better. And for Africa and South America also.
Nokia's Asha lines are not smartphones and sell for more than $100, FF phones will be much better I'm sure.
12. ayephoner (Posts: 850; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
the big factor here is cost. unlocked for $99 vs. $299 makes all the difference in the world.
7. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
Apple lawsuits in 5 4 3 2 1......
They would sue firefox for copying the circle button at the bottom... they ''patented'' everything... :\
20. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
I think steve jobs was the one who invented the wheel. He used his uber-apple wealth to fake his death and travel back in time to invent and patent the wheel(and everything else he couldn't patent the first time)
16. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3766; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
A humble start; much appreciated...but does not have the distinct look and feel of something new.
But this is the first version so i'll remain hopeful.
18. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
demo phone we already said is similar to the iphone though I do like the more stylized look. Should be interesting to see what kind of devices spawn from this because its not so much about the hardware anymore beyond the normal increases due to new tech. Its actually the software that needs to improve and come along much more quickly.
21. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
From shape trade dress Law suits coming ... Fire is playing with .... FOX :)
22. fanboysrdumb (Posts: 44; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
hey fanboys its a budgeted phone. the word to pay attention in this article is BUDGETED
its for people who just want a smart phone that will do the job.
its time to start actually reading what the author writes and explains rather then skimming and just getting by.
23. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
For who you are saying all this crap??? Read comments before insulting people because no one says oposite...
24. oo7Bond (Posts: 9; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
my nokia N9 already running meego n android.. meego sailfish is coming n now waiting for firefox..ahhh i love my N9 :)
25. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Well... I hope Mozilla is ready for the lawsuit of their life...
27. Jyakotu (Posts: 844; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
I like Firefox as a web browser, but I don't know about using it as a full blown smartphone OS. Guess it's more for developing markets instead of the US.
30. JunitoNH (Posts: 1789; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Ok, so now we officially have the "Andriod" for people, who are retired, public assistance, and child "first phone".