Mozilla unveils Firefox OS developer preview phone
0. phoneArena posted on 22 Jan 2013, 06:54
Mozilla’s Firefox OS is a mobile operating system that will have a tough time cracking the iOS/Android duopoly, especially now that we have…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. platformwars posted on 22 Jan 2013, 06:57 2 2
Looks just like the oldest Iphone.. just in Plastic.. Specially with the round button just below the screen.
9. Phullofphil posted on 22 Jan 2013, 07:31 3 8
Whats the point of having another operating system for a budget phonevwhen android is free and way ahead of everything but ios and is in a way ahead of apple in areas. Really freaking stupid. Should have done this in 2007 or earlier . . The only area I can see a take over is making a new operating system for the dumb phones and featur phones that use oh I forgot its java sounding name and I think uses java. Its like brew or somthing
17. OptimusOne posted on 22 Jan 2013, 09:05 1 0
Firefox is also free too... And I have it on my phone right now, and its pretty awesome
2. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 22 Jan 2013, 06:59 4 2
looks WAYYY too much like an iphone lol even the ui is similar
4. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 22 Jan 2013, 07:09 2 2
lol this is low cost phone so innovation is not required (welcomed though)
Hopefully it works Ok
8. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 22 Jan 2013, 07:30 1 1
true.......no hating involved was just pointing out the obvious i guess lol
13. akbar posted on 22 Jan 2013, 07:51 1 1
WoW the Iphone is so much like the cheap smartphones of today. Even the UI is similar :)
5. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 22 Jan 2013, 07:10 4 1
Not really, in poorer countries people would love to have low cost but good phone
19. rusticguy posted on 22 Jan 2013, 09:16 0 0
My domestic help who carries a Nokia phone isn't a retarded for sure ... not to the extent that she can call others retarded. India is a different market where Apple can never rule despite the simple UI ... Micromax phones sell more than Apple here :)
14. akbar posted on 22 Jan 2013, 08:02 5 0
And this is the right answer. I have been to Nepal, Thailand, Cambodia and there Nokia 1100 and company rules. And the people are using their hpones to make their lives better and easier, not to brag on the internet how much faster their new LTE phone loads cat videos from Youtube.
This can be a game changer.
15. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 22 Jan 2013, 08:18 0 0
True, $50 smartphones will make those people's lives better. And for Africa and South America also.
Nokia's Asha lines are not smartphones and sell for more than $100, FF phones will be much better I'm sure.
12. ayephoner posted on 22 Jan 2013, 07:42 0 0
the big factor here is cost. unlocked for $99 vs. $299 makes all the difference in the world.
7. Raymond_htc posted on 22 Jan 2013, 07:24 5 1
Apple lawsuits in 5 4 3 2 1......
They would sue firefox for copying the circle button at the bottom... they ''patented'' everything... :\
20. OptimusOne posted on 22 Jan 2013, 09:25 2 0
I think steve jobs was the one who invented the wheel. He used his uber-apple wealth to fake his death and travel back in time to invent and patent the wheel(and everything else he couldn't patent the first time)
16. Nathan_ingx posted on 22 Jan 2013, 08:59 0 0
A humble start; much appreciated...but does not have the distinct look and feel of something new.
But this is the first version so i'll remain hopeful.
18. speckledapple posted on 22 Jan 2013, 09:14 0 0
demo phone we already said is similar to the iphone though I do like the more stylized look. Should be interesting to see what kind of devices spawn from this because its not so much about the hardware anymore beyond the normal increases due to new tech. Its actually the software that needs to improve and come along much more quickly.
21. rusticguy posted on 22 Jan 2013, 09:26 0 0
From shape trade dress Law suits coming ... Fire is playing with .... FOX :)
22. fanboysrdumb posted on 22 Jan 2013, 09:38 2 2
hey fanboys its a budgeted phone. the word to pay attention in this article is BUDGETED
its for people who just want a smart phone that will do the job.
its time to start actually reading what the author writes and explains rather then skimming and just getting by.
23. PhoneArenaUser posted on 22 Jan 2013, 10:13 0 2
For who you are saying all this crap??? Read comments before insulting people because no one says oposite...
24. oo7Bond posted on 22 Jan 2013, 10:18 1 0
my nokia N9 already running meego n android.. meego sailfish is coming n now waiting for firefox..ahhh i love my N9 :)
25. gwuhua1984 posted on 22 Jan 2013, 10:25 0 1
Well... I hope Mozilla is ready for the lawsuit of their life...
27. Jyakotu posted on 22 Jan 2013, 11:56 0 1
I like Firefox as a web browser, but I don't know about using it as a full blown smartphone OS. Guess it's more for developing markets instead of the US.
30. JunitoNH posted on 22 Jan 2013, 18:14 0 0
Ok, so now we officially have the "Andriod" for people, who are retired, public assistance, and child "first phone".