Motorola's latest DROIDs are getting a soak test; is KitKat coming?
The models undergoing the latest soak test are the Motorola DROID Ultra, Motorola DROID MAXX and the Motorola DROID Mini. While we won't know for sure until the test is over, Motorola could be "soaking" the trio with Android 4.4. Of course, it also could be something else. Still, our guess is that this will be the update that brings that chocolatey goodness to the latest DROID handsets.
Motorola is performing a soak test for the trio of most recent DROID models on Verizon
1. o0Exia0o (Posts: 428; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)
Already signed up! Just waiting on the soaktest to begin.
10. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5918; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I hope the new update includes the camera enhancements. The Camera update on Google Play was quite underwhelming - just got the new icon, but not much else. :-(
12. Sniggly (Posts: 7177; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
The camera's done fine for me. The only thing that my phone does which is kinda weird is it randomly locks itself, sometimes very quickly. Seems to be related to the proximity sensor.
13. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Yours is doing that too? Mine just started that a few days ago. It only happens 3 or 4 times a day, but still kind of weird.
Also, I get what Doug was saying about the camera update, I only got the new icon as well, and not the manual focus/exposure options that were advertised in the "What's New" section of the Play Store page. I read about it, apparently the features will only become available on devices updated to KitKat, which at this point is only the Moto X. That'll change with this soak, hopefully.
14. o0Exia0o (Posts: 428; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)
I have not had any issues with the camera.
I am not having the problem with the phone locking its self, but since the last update I have had problems with Google now. You know when you press and hold the home button the Google now button appears so you can swipe up at it, well I might be doing something on my phone and the Google now button will appear and lock up the screen with out hitting the home button. It is annoing at most but then I have to hit the power button to shut the screen off and again then unlock my phone to continue what I was doing. Any one else randomly had this happen or is it just me?
18. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I haven't had Google Now lock up the screen. but I have had it respond to the multitasking and back buttons, not just the home button. It's not just a bug though, it's consistent. Do the same motion you would do to launch Google Now with the home button on any of the other capacitive buttons, and it brings it up, every single time. Seems intentional.
19. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Thus is the story i have been waiting to see since the X got KitKat. I really hope i get invited to the soak test, but if not what's a few more weeks when I have waited patiently this long.
As far as my Droid is concerned I haven't had any major issues. My phone did say none of my pictures were there one day, but I soft reset it and they were all there. I have them all backed up to my Drive account anyways so no big deal either way.
2. md227a (Posts: 127; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Good job Motorola! If they get KitKat out to those devices they are going to start making Waves in the industry.
3. Sniggly (Posts: 7177; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
This will just leave last year's phones in the KitKat rollout, which I suspect will get theirs in the next couple of months.
15. o0Exia0o (Posts: 428; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)
I thank that it will happen by mid January. Thats just my oppinion though.
4. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4006; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
This is only a soak test. There's no confirmation of kitkat.
7. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Just look at his profile picture, he's a clown smoking dope. Don't take him seriously.
8. Sniggly (Posts: 7177; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
He's actually a nigh omnipotent trickster from the 9th dimension.
9. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5918; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
More like a trolling wannabe trickster.
11. Sniggly (Posts: 7177; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
He's a curmudgeon, but he has gotten better.
16. o0Exia0o (Posts: 428; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)
AGREED! Mxy used to be way worse. +1 to you sir
20. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
When it's confirmed he'll just be wrong as usual. When you're wrong as much as he is it just rolls off of your back because you're used to it.
21. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4006; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I said it was a soak test. I'm not saying it isn't kitkat. I'm saying nothing's confirmed until an official source confirms it.
22. troutsy (Posts: 281; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Another brilliant spark of wisdom from the master himself.
Could one also infer that nothing is released until someone releases it?
24. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4103; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It's already been indirectly confirmed. Motorola hasn't said it officially, but the in the private soak test forums, all the threads created by the mods have the tag "kitkat" in them. I'm pretty sure the mods on Motorola's forums are viable sources.
17. techguyone (Posts: 113; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Yes Mxy... I expect they'll be putting Ginger Bread on them won't they... man you're such a numpty.
23. MrKharming (Posts: 8; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Well has anyone got the soak test ?other than an invite whos not afraid to say so ?