Motorola videos show its new Android 4.0 skin
0. phoneArena 27 May 2012, 01:54 posted on
Motoblur no longer exists, so Motorola is going to have to come up with a new name for the skin it plans on using to run over its Android 4.0 powered handsets; it does have a resemblance to stock Android with a few changes such as an updated lock screen...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
this is still a dream to use however the build used in the video is slightly different than the build i'm running but i don't know if the build in the videos is newer or older than mine. i'm only talking about little aesthetic things though, the actual principal experience is really the same.
2. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
oh and why do you guys have to throw in a bit about the phones that AREN'T being updated? is that really necessary? glass half full guys, glass half full.
4. Ubi2447 (Posts: 125; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
This is now one of my favorite skin by FAR. I love the Stocky look and feel. This makes me very excited for the Razr HD.
8. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Same with me. I'm loving this. I never imagined a day when Motoblur is actually really awesome.
95. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Also, anyone realize that RIGHT after Google buys Moto, the UI becomes like stock Android? Lol.
98. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
we've had looks at this since the beginning of the year. i've been running this for over a month.
3. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
That lockscreen...great thing but nothing innovative. Nokia bubbles has got it for a long time. First, HTC pilfered it, now Motorola.
I guess it's better than nothing. Being innovative nowadays is a hard task.
26. theBankRobber (Posts: 642; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Its hard to use slide to unlock and not get sued by Apple. Change is good.
74. jroc74 (Posts: 3980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Everything cant be absolutely innovative all the time.
As long as it makes Apple happy, keeps Apple out of their face....its all good.
5. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
So far the best skin which doesnt drift away too much from stock. I'm actually considering getting a Razr MAXX but I'm not sure if its worth it with all the new phones around like the S3 and One X.
10. Ubi2447 (Posts: 125; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
s3 and the One X are awesome. I'm in the same boat as you, though. Personally, I'm holding out to see what becomes of the Razr HD, compare it to those two, and up grade from my Droid X accordingly.
28. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
If you guys are heavy users, the razor maxx is the way to go, a buddy of mine at work just got one, we work 12 hour shifts, and he spends breaks watching netflix and streaming music like a fiend, and at the end of our shift there is barely a dent in his battery life, it really is an awesome phone.
38. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
That's exactly why I want it, I'm having a terrible experience on my Sensation's battery life which I mostly use for web browsing 24/7.
73. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Then go with the maxx, he loves it because now he doesn't have to worry about extra batteries or making sure he doesn't forget his charger, honestly I'm jealous of him and if I had Verizon, I would jump all over that thing in a heartbeat.
96. Ubi2447 (Posts: 125; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
I'm holding out for the HD because it's been leaked the HD would (and I don't know why they would) have that 3300 mAh Bat. Been hearing that it'll probably be here this summer. I don't mind the wait. :)
6. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Personal preference, two colours that don't go for me, is red and black together. Which is what motorola seems to be using with all its products.
14. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
how does black not go with something? xD
42. roscuthiii (Posts: 1717; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Have you not seen any of Verizon's Droid marketing? "Big Red" is as much behind the red & black as Motorola is, if not more so. Even most of HTC's Droid phones got the red & black theme.
7. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2871; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Lol RAZR will get upgraded to ICS and be on a more updated build before the galaxy NEXUS gets one update. Fail
27. Sniggly (Posts: 6490; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Um. Dude. The nexus just got an update to 4.0.4.
50. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it's still pretty bad. the 4.0.4 build for the Razrs leaked before the Galaxy Nexus got it so there were some Razrs out there running a new build of ICS than the Nexus for a minute.
88. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2871; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Yea? I am still on 4.0.2 thank you :)
89. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i thought the initial launch version was 4.0.3? o:
92. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2871; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Nope on 4.0.2 for 6 months now. Not one bug fix patch, nadda.
97. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
well i'm on 4.0.3 sooo...yeah, really the only advantage the Nexus seems to have is a higher quality display.
15. Fantazma (Posts: 5; Member since: 27 May 2012)
the new lockscreen is copied from Huawei's!!!....wats wrong with you motorola?
copying someones work..
32. theBankRobber (Posts: 642; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Should it really matter? Its all android
75. jroc74 (Posts: 3980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
And Google took resizable widgets from MotoBlur for ICS. I think Samsung did too with a version of Touchwiz. And ICS has elements of Touchwiz and maybe Sense UI in it.
Does it really matter? Huawei is an Android OEM, and they have a history with Moto. Might be kinda bumpy but its still a history.
16. -box- (Posts: 3566; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Error in the headline (but correct in the first paragraph): "its" is possessive; "it's" is a contraction (short for "it is").
31. BREvenson (Posts: 190; Member since: 17 May 2012)
I was just about to point that out. It's not a big deal, but I'm the kind of person who gets a little annoyed with those kinds of mistakes. It happens.
41. EarnYourLeather (Posts: 86; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
I'm sure the author took English 101- IT'S a typo. They happen.
43. roscuthiii (Posts: 1717; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Yes mistakes happen, but then what the hell do editor's get paid for if not to, you know, edit?
51. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
cut the guy some slack. i'm sure you'd want the same thing if you made a small mistake in your job.
19. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
awesome. Is Motorola actually listening to the community that wants less skin and faster updates? Is this a push from Google to get closer to stock (obviously set up before the merger finalized)?
But that makes me very happy.
22. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
hehe! told you it was the closest to stock. xD
35. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 819; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
.... meh haven't even gotten it yet, hopefully the acceloremeter actually works after this update, the last one made it completely useless!
20. wendygarett (unregistered)
4 shortcut lockscreen?? snap photo while filming??
oh well... R.I.P. oneX
33. theBankRobber (Posts: 642; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Um its built into android 4.0, not just One OEM of android.
44. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3657; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Anything running ICS can do that. Not just the devices running Sense 4. Well, except for the 4 shortcuts on the lock screen, I don't think. But even so, the One X is no where near dead yet.
52. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it will be when it has to stare down the Droid Razr MAXX HD. :P
57. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, hopefully this, the Atrix 3 and the new Photon are pretty much the same phone and i also hope that T-Mobile would get a variant. too many T-Mobile customers i know complain about their signal strength and the best solution i know other than Wi-Fi Calling isn't available to them.
60. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3657; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Mhm, would be disappointed if there was anything other than that. T-Mobile hasn't gotten any good Moto phones lately, have they? Last one I heard was the Cliq 2, which was forever ago. Would be nice to have some more options since I'm on T-Mobile. I wanted to switch to Sprint so I could get my EVO, but they were stupid so I can't leave until April of 2013 without paying $1000. So, I have to settle for the One S for now :/
63. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
T-Mobile has never really had any good Moto phones in comparison to what Verizon and AT&T have gotten out of them.
wouldn't Sprint buy you out of that if you switched to them? i remember T-Mobile would've paid my ETFs if i switched to them years ago which i was considering heavily. o:
65. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
that was a promotion. That almost never happens anymore as things are getting tighter for the smaller carriers.
With sprint being an indentured servant to apple to get the iphone, i doubt they could carry such costs to do that.
Why would you leave Tmobile to get the Evo on sprint, when its the same phone as the OneS for 99% of it? Tmobile's service is cheaper and faster to boot.
84. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3657; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Because of the display, 4.7 inch 720p S-LCD2 vs. 4.3 qHD inch S-Amoled. And T-Mobile pretty much locked my family in to another 2 years, cuz they were willing to do pretty much to keep us since we've had them for years. They cut our monthly prices by almost half and offered us full upgrades over a year early, with a discount, and since I'm not in charge of the accounts, I had to stay. So, I'll just deal with the Pentile non-HD :/ And don't say pentile isn't that noticeable, I notice it on my friends Razr all the time. Though the performance should be better on the One S, considering it has a lower resolution but the same processor.
90. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
if you're looking for it and you're not used to looking at it then yeah, it's noticeable but when you stop caring you really don't see it.
21. darkgoon3r96 (Posts: 7; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Meh.... In my opinion, Stock looks way better because of the icons and colours going well. Touchwizz which I am not a fan of, looks better than this. Oh well, thank god for Cyanogenmod
47. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3657; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Would have to disagree with you there. Moto's UI is the closest thing to stock you will get from devices with custom interfaces. TouchWiz almost entirely masks ICS.
49. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
touchwiz is not as bad as sense
you can barely tell if it is ics on the one x
cyanogen mod 9 forever!
55. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3657; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Now that Sense 4 is out, TouchWiz is worse than Sense. Sense 4 is very light compared to Sense 3.
58. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Sense is definitely better but TW still performs soooo well that i wouldn't quite put them together yet.