Motorola time line for Android 4.0 update
0. phoneArena 12 Mar 2012, 22:23 posted on
Motorola has sent out an updated schedule of its expected Android 4.0 updates and while models like the Motorola PHOTON 4G and Motorola ATRIX 4G are expected to get the update in Q3, other models like the Motorola DROID RAZR and Motorola DROID 4 do not have a time schedule for ICS...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
and they say lg is bad with updates...
my g2x is older 5 months older than the bionic, but im getting official ics in q2.
3. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Not so fast it seems like vzw phones like the razr that everyone knows is getting ics aren't confirmed either while at&t phones are. This seems to be a verizon thing but i would expext the bionic to get ics.
4. e.wvu (unregistered)
Umm the Razr was one of the phones that Verizon actually confirmed getting the update just last week.
44. alpinejason (Posts: 262; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
yeah thats why i do not buy android or carrier phones i only get unlocked phones
8. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
my g2x is still getting official ics before the photon, atrix, atrix 4g, both xyboards, droid 3, the list goes on.
motorola claims Q3 for all of those devices. how does verizon have anything to do with the manufacturer's time table?
my point is that lg is putting out official updates for older phones an entire quarter before motorola expects to roll out theirs.
i didnt mention t-mobile pushing my g2x update so why would you expect i was talking about the verizon push on moto devices? im talking about the manufacturer release. i dont rely on carriers for sh!t.
12. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5682; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the reality is these are just projections. these time tables weren't made in conjunction with the carriers. Verizon is likely the reason why their phones are still in the "Evaluation and Planning" stage because Motorola is probably readying builds and sending them to Verizon for testing and they're not clearing them for whatever reason or the other. Motorola can't project something that's out of their control, the best they can do is fix whatever Verizon wants them to and keep sending updated builds. it's happened before and it will happen again with most OEMs.
haven't you ever heard the expression "it's not over until the fat lady sings."? the only way you'd have grounds to say anything in this matter now is if LG had updated handsets more quickly on a consistent basis in the past which they haven't, Moto has so cool it.
15. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Ya I get it. Some people get me riled up is all. I fell like I have to defend everything I say on this site.
56. TerryCrowley (Posts: 194; Member since: 31 Jul 2011)
LG is good with updates? Really? Is that why the LG Thrill is still on Froyo?
18. CM_Punk (banned) (Posts: 173; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
That's the price you pay when you get an Android phone.
48. CM_Punk (banned) (Posts: 173; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
The Miz and CM Punk are two different guys.
5. EarnYourLeather (Posts: 87; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
F U Motorola.
You use "Ice Cream Sandwich Upgradable!" as a selling point, but when it comes time for rollouts you are still "evaluating."
13. Sniggly (Posts: 7250; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
You do realize that in the evaluation and planning stage the question isn't whether the update will roll out, but when?
45. troybuilt (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
I have to agree with you. Verizon did the same thing to me. I thought since now Google complete owns Motorola that things are going to change and Sanjay stepping down as CEO would make things more streamline and make the updates release sooner. It looks like Verizon's "Flagship" phones are being put on the back burner for the time being for whatever reason. Very sad Verizon-Motorola.
7. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5682; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i think that Moto is readying builds for the Razr but Verizon isn't clearing them for whatever reason or the other. remember we've seen leaked builds that don't look too far from completion. i don't think Razr owners will be going into May without ICS on their phones.
46. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5682; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it's what happened to the Droid X. people were using the leaked Gingerbread update months before Verizon finally pushed it. :P
9. e.wvu (unregistered)
This is one thing I hate about owning an Android phone; you have to by an Android phone with the carrier and manufacturer that you can trust to rely on updates in an accepted timely manner. Which is why I have to spend so much time looking for a ROM that runs smoothly on my phone whether than waiting months to get an update that's been available for so long.
10. 14545 (Posts: 1241; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
WTF????? This is why I will never buy another Moto phone. More than 3/4 of the devices there are in the "evaluation and planning stage". Htc, which is still slower than I would like considering that ICS has been out for 4 months already, is expected to get ICS in q2/q3. I think google should limit access to the market, or play store as it's called now, if you don't agree to update your devices to the latest software in
11. Yankchef (Posts: 76; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
Yes this is ridiculously slow... jelly bean will almost be out by then and ill be surprised if any of the devices listed there get the upgrade. Even tho i aam sure the hardware will be more than sufficient enough to warrant it. I like a lot about motorola's hardwar but this is really weak
14. Sniggly (Posts: 7250; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
It's troubling that Motorola is taking so long to get word out about devices getting ICS, and that the updates will be taking this long to come out, especially considering how quick they were about getting updates for Gingerbread out there.
Nevertheless, at least they are trying to keep people in the loop here.
17. CM_Punk (banned) (Posts: 173; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
Motorola dropping the ball again. What's new? Next thing you know, they're releasing another phone that will quickly become obsolete in a month. But then again, this is quite expected from the same ones who dropped the ball continuously with the Droid lineup of phones.
43. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Really punky. So your with apple right where the technology is old and out dated months before it is even released. Do you have a clue what your talking about. I rather my phone be obselete in a month then obsolete before its launch date
52. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7005; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
CM_Punk I know you're really The_Miz STOP HATING ON US Android users and go somewhere else and troll. at least PHOTON ATRIX 4G( I HAVE), DROID RAZR DROID 4 will be recieving updates. and since when you're a a CM_PUNK FAN. You DON'T SEE ME going around talking trash. the only bad thing bout Apple is it's law suits
21. deacz (Posts: 159; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
After what moto did with the internation Xoom nothing suprises me anymore, never ever going to buy another moto product.
Time to root my Xoom, and give it to my wife and then enjoy ics on my prime.
25. CM_Punk (banned) (Posts: 173; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
You made a good choice there. There's plenty of better products out there.
23. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Already have 4.0.3 on my RAZR - take your time MOTO - I am in no rush as the actual version will be power packed with Verizon crappola....
33. Whateverman (Posts: 3236; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Got a link because I would love to try it! How is it working for you, everything functional?
50. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
28. deacz (Posts: 159; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
ohp my gs2 international just started to update into ics :)
31. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
and there is only one
35. CM_Punk (banned) (Posts: 173; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
You're really stretching this out, aren't you?
38. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
im putting my money on CM_Punk at wrestlemania 28 lol
37. troutsy (Posts: 287; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Read through a poorly written re-hash of news that was posted a month ago and scroll through two pages of comments posted by the annoying wrestling fanboys.... Queue the Peter Gibbons "worst day of my life" speech.
"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life"
49. CM_Punk (banned) (Posts: 173; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
Look at me, I'm breaking the fourth wall.
39. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
im putting my money on CM_Punk at wrestlemania 28 lol
41. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
didnt mean to put the cm punk thing right there, wouldnt let me delete it
51. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7005; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
As long MOTOROLA promise these upgrades I'm happy. I'm just glad i waited this long to choose the right phone ATRIX 4G BABY! I don't have to complain bout not getting ICS 4.0. I never rush out to buy something new just because it's good looking. wait and ask if it reviece the update. 3QT HERE WE COME!
54. BomberXL (Posts: 82; Member since: 17 Jan 2012)
yay! My Atrix 4G is still in the race! First i was excited it got Gingerbread! Now i can enjoy my Ice Cream Sandwhich during the summer heat :D
55. DatabaseMX (Posts: 19; Member since: 27 May 2009)
Wake me up when there is some REAL news!