Motorola teases the new Moto E, "Goodbye Flip Phone" hashtag included
0. phoneArena 12 May 2014, 13:59 posted on
The Moto E (expected to be announced tomorrow) should be a very cheap Android KitKat smartphone that Motorola will probably target at emerging markets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Planterz (Posts: 1006; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Interesting device. No front-facing camera, no LED flash for the rear camera. But this is the case for many low-end Android phones. But unlike those other phones, this one has a far better screen enough processor power and RAM to run things without too much lag.
"emerging markets" seems to be a buzzward for companies that are making cheap phones for 2nd or 3rd world countries, but that term ingores the fact that there are plenty of people in 1st world countries that can't afford, or just don't want to spend so much on a smartphone. I'm not rich, and neither are most of the people I know. Many of them have low-end, affordable smartphones like Huawei, Alcetel, Lumia 520/521, and cheap Samsungs. Phones like the Moto G and Moto E would be great for them. Cheap, but not horribly laggy, with crummy screens, or limited OS's like WP.
7. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
You make very good point.
Phones like this could make a killing in 1st world countries.
9. elitewolverine (Posts: 1948; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
We don't know how 'non-laggy' this is, crummy screens - we don't know its resolution, and limited os? yes because this will have so much tons of hp that any root will work just magically and make it be like a viper. In reality, the people who will get these phones wont even know the term root thinking you are asking them for root beer.
And if they are so inclined to root, you can get dev preview install non store apps.
13. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3605; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
TL;DR Why dont you stick your face back in that comic book phone.
18. tech2 (Posts: 2364; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
No wonder the kids love that OS. How can anyone stand those looks for more then a week is beyond me.
WP fanboys are too insecure about their OS
14. bob_monkeywarts (Posts: 205; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
Crummy screens... It's 4.3 inches. The Moto g had a nice screen, I think the Moto e will too. And about the, "limited OS?" The leaks say it's going to be android 4.4, and in that picture it looks like Kit-Kat, too. So, like StraightEdgeNexus, go stick your face back in that old comic book phone, and I guess we'll see in a few hours.
2. CyberFalcon (Posts: 171; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
This phone is going to sell like hot cakes in emerging markets...
The only thing that bugs me is the lack of flash...
i dont use front cam that much...
4. tech2 (Posts: 2364; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Here, this wallpaper should address your problem for flash:
16. networkdood (Posts: 6310; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Cool, I actually saved that picture - thanks
5. TreyTreyTaylor (Posts: 316; Member since: 21 Dec 2010)
Ew gross. Sike lol. I still have love for flippers.
15. bob_monkeywarts (Posts: 205; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
If you like flip phones, then why do you have a phonearena account?
6. danny_a2005 (Posts: 119; Member since: 06 Oct 2011)
I think the goodbyeflipphone thing is because the front facing speakers! you don't have to flip your phone anymore
8. sgodsell (Posts: 1404; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
No its because the price of the flip phone is not that much cheaper then a phone like the moto e. A flip phone however does very little in comparison to a phone like the moto e.
So bye, bye featureless flip phone.
10. elitewolverine (Posts: 1948; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
This is true, it is why I recommend 521's all day. It is hard to beat a 70$ phone from Walmart.
12. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3605; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Spam detected. Advertising beloved brand.
11. PK1983 (Posts: 187; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
That would be a great money maker for Moto. Now all they need to do is release a true flagship, not another mid ranger and flagship price like the Moto X.
19. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I think Moto is starting to get more like Samsung and HTC again with more low and mid range phones on many carriers.
Moto went away from it years ago and focused so much on Verizon. A few more Moto G variants have been announced recently...They will get back to flagships eventually. Hopefully later this year.
And I would argue that the Moto X was a flagship....at a good price. So much uniqueness went into that phone...
17. networkdood (Posts: 6310; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
ok, so, YES, this phone sucks compared to almost any phone....BUT....it is being sold at a pretty cheap price...so, what is the big HOOPLA about now?