Motorola seeks U.S. import ban on Apple iPhone and Apple iPad with new ITC claim
0. phoneArena 18 Aug 2012, 12:46 posted on
Motorola Mobility is seeking a U.S. ban on the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad with its new claim filed with the ITC, that alleges Apple infringed on seven of its patents; non of the patents in question are FRAND related or standards essential patents...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
8. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7186; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Exactly. Seems like a d**k move by Google and Motorola here.
17. tedkord (Posts: 7663; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Yes, trying to ban a competitor is a d**k move. Can you feel the irony oozing out of your pores?
26. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
no, because its not oozing.. he's floating in it.
25. webOSlove (unregistered)
Ummm well getting a competitor banned is what Apple has pulled a ton of times . So Apple has pulled that "d***" move a multitude of times , and where were you when that happend ?
38. jroc74 (Posts: 5600; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I bet if it was Apple trying to ban Motorola products.....it would be fine with you...
69. OSFantasma (Posts: 119; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
Maybe your right. I realize what is said apple is unwilling to come to a agreement. So there must be a move done to see who is in the right, but then again I wouldn't be expect a different reply from a die hard fan or supporter. I'm not saying just inferring that you maybe by the way that you replied though im willing to bet you are.
I think your comment could be the same for either company. But it is nice to see the company that started the drama to have a taste of irony...
45. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3074; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Mxyzptlk, do you suffer from diarrhea of the mouth or do you actually believe the crap you spill out? First you cheer on Apple trying to ban Samsung and HTC products for stupid crap but yet you get all butt hurt about it when it comes to your precious Apple. Congrats, you're even more blind, one sided, fanboy lunatic than Taco is.
Cry a river about it somewhere else pal, Apple gets no sympathy. The bully needs a taste of his own medicine.
46. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I hope someone pimp-slaps the crap out of you today.
52. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
This looks like Taco with a another account. You allways get thumbed down no matter what you say......!
63. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
ROFLMAOO.....that would be hilarious!
65. bachelorrn0121 (Posts: 57; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
the patent is true technology not just rectangle..
86. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
ironic that the superman vilian troll is calling this move a d**k move - huh, wonder where moto learned that trick from?
From a fruit...and, no, not ANNOYING ORANGE.
51. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
IFan changing sides suddenly.... How weird, and strange?
2. Sniggly (Posts: 7291; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Considering how ugly Apple made the patent wars, this is just karma. I imagine Google is simply trying to gain leverage against Apple to get them to stop their bulls**t.
10. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Be that as it may, we can not allow an iBan; Apple must be allowed to import their minor hardware upgrades aka "refresh" so that the Android Mobile manufacturers can continue to keep giving us the better and superior product. If Apple products are banned, there will only be MicroSlush to compete with and that could theoretically mean putting together two cups with some clothes line to make a phone.
Apple's half-baked iPuff must be allowed into the U.S. market: period.
62. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
PAPINYC LMAO THAT WAS iHilarious. Every time you iPost on Apple your posts makes me so laugh.!
13. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7186; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
How can you patent something that's generic like 3G? Samsung copied Apple heavily in many of their earlier Galaxy line of phones so its understandable about that lawsuit. The one that is making the patent wars look ugly.
This is just FRAND abuse.
18. tedkord (Posts: 7663; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
OK. Once more for the reading impaired. The seven new patents that Motorola claims Apple are infringing are NOT FRAND PATENTS.
32. MartyK (Posts: 732; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
"OK. Once more for the reading impaired"
71. JC557 (Posts: 1247; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
I wouldn't be surprised considering how long Motorola's been in the communications business.
21. ekia007 (Posts: 61; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
hey Mxyzptlk, phone design and icon call patent?
23. tedkord (Posts: 7663; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Yes. They should only patent non generic things, like rectangles with rounded corners, or icons in grids, or phone icons that look like, well...phones.
Twenty years from now, you should come back here and read the stuff you post. Maybe by then, with a little more wisdom, you'll get the same cycle the rest of us do.
28. Whateverman (Posts: 3237; Member since: 17 May 2009)
"How can you patent something that's generic like 3G?"
Exactly!!! All they really did is invent a new technology that increased the transmission of data packets to and from a mobile device ten fold compared to Edge and 1xRTT. Is that really hard? I'm sure it wasn't!
As for the long hard road Apple had to take, do you guys really understand how much harder it is to take a rectangle and put a freakin BUTTON at the bottom?!?!? If you Android users could really understand the complexity, the man power and the ingenuity it took to develop and patent the RECTANGLE... I really feel sorry for all you FANDROIDS with your big screens, uncracked screens, and waterproof Kevlar-covered, bullet-proof, super-thin, light-weight yet tough-as-nails DROOOOIDS!!!
Next patent: The Death Grip! (Yes Mr. Spock! Apple will be coming for you too!)
34. ph00ny (Posts: 796; Member since: 26 May 2011)
FRAND doesn't mean you don't pay for it
Generic? Without those "generic" 3G related patents, we wouldn't have 3G
39. jroc74 (Posts: 5600; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
"How can you patent something that's generic like 3G?"
I was wondering the same exact thing about round corners, black borders, and rectangles....
And I dont think 3G is that generic. If it was.....there would be more companies helping to build and improve it. Damn near any manufacture can make a tablet or phone.....how many can build and improve on 3G technology....
48. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3074; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
So trying to ban multiple devices for shape isnt generic? Keep crying fanboy!
47. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Lolololol yes!! Maybe this is part of the Google/Samsung anti-Apple thing.
67. snowgator (Posts: 3417; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Karma.... Still one of the best phones I ever owned. It is the reason I still love portrait sliders......
5. phonton (Posts: 65; Member since: 27 Dec 2011)
Google has to justify the acquisition and I believe here it is or atleast starts here
6. Ravail (Posts: 182; Member since: 14 Oct 2011)
lol oh man, look out apple.. You own medicine is coming back to bite you ;)
9. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7186; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
This is blatant patent abuse. I dont see this getting much support.
20. tedkord (Posts: 7663; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
No. Not you. You're not biased at all. Nope. Not a bit. No way. Nyet. Uh uh.
40. Sniggly (Posts: 7291; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Let's test that hypothesis. How do you feel about Apple's litigation against other companies?
84. jroc74 (Posts: 5600; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
And right on cue....no response from him.
He could at least lie to sound more unbiased about Apple's lawsuits when you asked this. The Apple love must be so embedded he cant even lie...
93. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7186; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I feel its justified if it means protecting your property.
59. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
What ever you say Taco is biased.....
56. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
What have they, or what did they innovate!
Nothing.... Things taken from hear and there.
58. -box- (Posts: 3978; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Crud, hit the up button instead of the down. Sorry!
92. joey_sfb (Posts: 4453; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
If you get a dollar for each thumb down you have received. You will be a millionaire by the end of the year.
15. phljcnth (Posts: 448; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Considering Apple itself is a U.S. company, sh*t just got real.
73. BattleBrat (Posts: 1291; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
If memory serves, Motorola was an American company too...
16. sbr999 (Posts: 79; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
I hope Apple is forced to pay serious cash to Moto... or at least be fined seriously for whatever the reason. They are terribly annoying with their patent wars anyway.
19. tedkord (Posts: 7663; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I hope they pay nothing, but rather are forced to drop their ridiculous shape and color lawsuits, or face a ban of their own products. Serves them right.
24. sbr999 (Posts: 79; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
I agree. It can't get dumber. I mean, having a patent for the front and back made of glass? rectangular shape? Black back.. really? Cosmetics shouldn't be awarded patents.
60. -box- (Posts: 3978; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Yes. It seems I was making a similar point this morning on another article...
27. Pdubb (Posts: 239; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
I wonder how this will affect the "new" iPhone or the rumored mini iPad? Will there be a preliminary injunction or will it be tied up for years and give Apple a chance to change some stuff? If Moto can get that injunction Apple could be in a world of hurt. What would be their money maker while they fought this case?
29. tedkord (Posts: 7663; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
They'd be fine. The US is a big market, but the injunction would not affect them in the rest of the world.
Plus, I'm sure they'd be able to work around whatever patents they'd need to in a brief time, though that's just conjecture at this point, not knowing what the patents involved actually are.