Motorola says goodbye to its Webtop and Lapdock
0. phoneArena 07 Oct 2012, 17:24 posted on
Amid speculation that Google wanted the Webtop and Lapdock accessories killed off, Motorola has officially pulled the plug of the Webtop software and the Lapdock hardware that enabled users of certain Motorola Android models to use their phone as the brains of a tablet...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
11. quakan (Posts: 1179; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Yeah it would've succeeded with iOS and Apple's marketing team....oh well.
12. mas11 (Posts: 1028; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
It just needed an Apple logo and people would throw money at it even if they knew nothing about it.
2. PAPINYC (Posts: 2278; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
It was a great idea but, needed some work. I sold my Lapdock 100 and at least broke even; I probably wouldn't buy another, it's just too gimmicky (almost feels like it could've been an Apple product).
4. theBankRobber (Posts: 647; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Motorola could have made this a good thing, but with crazy prices and no updates it would have only failed anyway. The one for my Photon was always $200-250, it was only better to buy the Atrix version and switch the ports around to work with my phone. After I saw the leak ICS webtop app, it didn't really need the lapdock, just a HDMI cable. It doesn't matter as my Photon won't be getting ICS anyway so SCREW YOU MOTOROLA
5. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I still can't understand the idea of Lapdock...
If I'm able to take an Lapdock with me then I also should be able to take an Laptop too. Then why I should take an Lapdock if I can take Laptop and Laptop will be more powerful and useful than any Lapdock...
7. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
this is innovation!! to bad they will kill it! :(
8. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2442; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
if this is "google" influenced.....i just hope they dont try and overdue other things in the future now that they are the owner........hopefully they execute other "adjustments" to continue to benefit the consumer rather than the company as a whole.........Consumer first, company second should continue to be the main priority........peace everyone n have a Good rest of Sunday :)
9. jroc74 (Posts: 4723; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I thought Webtop was a nice idea.
I think on ICS you didnt need the lapdock, you could just use the HDMI out.
I think they shoulda kept it.
10. phil2n (Posts: 466; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
because there are hidden surprises at the back of it,