Motorola says ICS coming in Q2 for Motorola DROID RAZR and Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX
0. phoneArena 18 May 2012, 16:04 posted on
An updated schedule from Motorola shows that Android 4.0 will be coming to the Motorola DROID RAZR and Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX sometime this quarter; the bad new is for those with the Motorola DROID 3 and Motorola DROID X2 as both handsets are now apparently shut out from the update...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
they pushed back the XOOM: FE. LAME! >:P
still enjoying ICS on my Razr by the way. ;)))
2. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
wow the Atrix almost a year later.. and to think Moto is stil better than Samsung...
3. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3104; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Sometimes you actually speak the truth Gallitoking lol
6. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
enjoy them as there arent many of those..
4. EarnYourLeather (Posts: 87; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Still waiting here on my unrooted MAXX.
10. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i bet you wouldn't be waiting on your rooted, leak flashed MAXX. ;P
5. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
This is why I'm leaving Android. I'm tired of always waiting for updates that might not ever come.
8. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
you want to have updates, you buy a Nexus. You may have to avoid Verizon
13. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3104; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
yes AVOID Verizon. Nexus or not, VERIZON is the slowest to update their phones. Galaxy Nexus Verizon user here, still on 4.0.2. the same version it ran when it first came out 6 months ago. GSM and Sprint both have been updated Verizon's has NOT.
9. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Well yeah, but even on 2.3 android's still better than WP7 and iOS. Though honestly, I'm kinda itching to give WP7 a whirl.
11. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
I'm leaning toward WP7 myself but now I'm worried that anything I buy this summer won't upgrade to WP8
14. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3104; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
I would at least wait for WP8 if you want to switch. I got a bad feeling most of the current line up devices won't be upgraded.
15. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
I'm plan on waiting until after all the conferneces in June but my current phones screen is cracked and its driving me nuts.
35. Rocksteady (unregistered)
Android is the king my friend, after trying Microsoft products on my laptop and going through the "blue death screen" and os getting corrupted suddenly for no clear reasons, I'm a little bit afraid to use their phones. That's just a personal opinion I wanted to share.
Have a nice day.
38. nicholassss (Posts: 368; Member since: 10 May 2012)
I've got a few friends rocking wp7, Its a pretty slick OS. Easy to use once you get the hand of it and over all a pretty smooth experience. I dont think its for people who are serious about mobile tech but I dont think its something that should eb avoided at all costs.
51. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
theres this thing called "root" and a "custom rom"
7. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
I would love to see how battery life performs on the Maxx after the ICS update. Hopefully there's a huge improvement to the already awesome battery life.
12. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
How the hell the RAZRS gets ICS first when the ATRIX & BIONIC came out a year before that? Doesn't makes since to me really.
44. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10434; Member since: 14 May 2012)
They're both flag ship phones in Moto's line up.
16. dreign91 (Posts: 15; Member since: 17 May 2012)
so has the Photon just been completely ruled out??
52. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
it even has 1 gb rom ram
rules out the 512mb of ram theory then
or maybe it's sprint
17. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
So why is the DROID RAZR getting ICS before the DROID 4?! The DROID 4 is newer!! Plus it's pretty much the RAZR with a physical keyboard! I'm sorry but this is a good way to P.O. DROID 4 owners! Seriously Motorola?!
18. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3104; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
It's all about priority. Droid 4 is basically a "mid range" device while the RAZR/MAXX are well, at least for Verizon "high end".
19. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
They have the same processor and RAM. The only superior hardware on the RAZR is the 4.3” AMOLED screen.
21. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
mas is right. i still think about getting a Droid 4 for myself.
22. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3104; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
I'm not talking about just specs Mas. I am talking about what they feel is their priority devices. The RAZR/MAXX is pretty much the most popular device on Verizon other than the Galaxy Nexus.
24. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I understand your point, but look at what 3 devices Verizon is advertising in the new DROID DOES commercials. I believe Verizon prefers the RAZRs, but I don't think Verizon believes that the DROID 4 is a lower quality device.
20. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
because there's two versions of the Droid Razr and it's more popular.
23. hitechredneck (Posts: 88; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
You know thats all fine and dandy but my thing is why is motorola catering to verizon and nobody else? I even contacted Motorola and was told to talk to my carrier. Didn't know where to comment about it but surprised no one else is saying anything about it either.
27. hitechredneck (Posts: 88; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I have a backflip been a pretty good phone.
30. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
There is no way that phone will get ICS. Any phone over 2 years old needs to be upgraded, since it is no longer supported. It's not a Motorola catering to Verizon issue here. If you want to stick with Motorola get the Atrix 2. It's only $20 through Amazon Wireless. That phone will get ICS. :)
31. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
if he has a Backflip then he's probably Grandfathered into Unlimited Data with AT&T and he should look into getting a phone outright from the Forums, Swappa, Craigslist or somewhere.
25. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 11311; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Boy does Motorola like to drag their feet when it comes to updates.
28. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Aren't we in Q2?.... 12 months in year: 1-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12... so we are in Q2... so that means anyday now... which means... it probably hasn't changed from the last update which said May 23.
MAY 23 ALL DA WAY!
I can't stand my accelerometer not working on my RAZR MAXX!
I want it now!
Good thing it is only 5 days away... and counting.....
49. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
But yes, that is bassically it.
29. ChafedBanana (Posts: 368; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
The Razr was supposed to get ICS on the 23rd.
45. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
The 23rd hasn't come yet.
"The Razr *is* supposed to get ICS on the 23rd"
33. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Well, seeing as everyone is taking their time with the ICS upgrade...take even more time if needed...thanks to devs throughout the development community, I have been enjoying ICS for months now...I did find an issue with the scanner as I use it with the Walgreen's app....minor issue.
34. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Too many complaints, ICS is a global(phones and tablets) OS now so it will definitely take a bit of time to ensure that it works on the current crop of phones with the RAM to actually run it. After ICS, once the Jellybeans or whatever it's called lands updates should be simpler as phones will come with 1-2GB of RAM and I do believe that Google will streamline Android to not just absorb RAM like a certain Memory hogging OS that has been around for ages, cough ahem..windows..cough who said that? My contracts is nearing it's final months so I don't really have a problem with waiting to see what phones show up these next few months. I'm actually stoked to see what Motorola comes up with post Razr Maxx, that battery just amazes me...gotta check the TI site for updates on their OMAP processors.
36. ankrul2004 (Posts: 16; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Am I correct to assume that the Q2 update for the Motor Xoom wifi +3g includes the wifi +4g model also?
37. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Why are motorola phone cdma like droid bionic,droid x2 and droid 4. And they don't have international versions
41. gtrxman (Posts: 122; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
Because Verizon's implementation of LTE is for data only. Since LTE is a GSM technology and VZ has chosen to port data over the LTE and voice over CDMA, there's no way an LTE phone on VZ will be international. When VZ moves to voice over LTE it will be a different story.
43. gtrxman (Posts: 122; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
*NEWS FLASH* Droid Life is reporting that the RAZR and Rezound have embedded global radios not previously detailed in the specs, and that they will soon become GLOBAL phones.
46. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
because there's not many that use 4G LTE outside of the U.S. and the International Markets made a good call not carrying that X2 trash.
39. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3104; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Well i am selling my Galaxy Nexus to my friend for 300 and getting the RAZR MAXX
42. gtrxman (Posts: 122; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
Great choice. My original RAZR died an awful death (run over by a car) and I got the MAXX. This baby can go 2 full days (with careful use). I never worry about my battery any more. There is no excuse for any manufacturer not to have this much battery in a phone. An unexpected benefit is that the phone is actually better in the hand than the RAZR because the additional battery adds balance.
47. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
if you're going to flash an ICS leak make sure it's this one.
40. techsavvy.jaz (Posts: 153; Member since: 07 Feb 2012)
Atrix 2 to get it last then, sigh.. just got the device, and now comes the news..
50. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
if my phone with a 600 mhz processor with hvga resolution and 512 mb of ram can run ICS pretty good then. basically any phone with higher specs can also run it especially a droid 3
my cousin is pissed because he got a droid 3 and his brother got a droid bionic at the same time for the same price