Motorola releases list of its phones eligible for $100 gift card with trade-in program
0. phoneArena 20 Oct 2012, 11:09 posted on
With many of Motorola's 2011 phones stuck forever on Android 2.3, possibly as the result of complaints, the company started a $100 trade-in program for some of its recent models not getting Android 4.1; the manufacturer has announced which handsets are eligible for the program...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3434; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
The fact that the Atrix 2 is on this list is just deplorable. It came out a month after the Bionic (a year ago, this month), yet the Bionic is getting Jellybean & it's not. They have the same specs. Just goes to show how much more sales mean when upgrading a device than whether the device can actually handle the update. Yet another reason why I'll never buy a Motorola smartphone.
8. jroc74 (Posts: 5541; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I gotta agree. I posted yesterday how I was ok since my phone is not on this list, but the Atrix 2?
There might need to be a detailed explanation why some of these phones on the list are not getting updated.
11. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Wasn't the Atrix 2 a $99 phone when it came out? It wasn't a flagship like the Bionic.
But yes, I agree, it should get it as well, heck, every phone should be getting at least ICS so we can get better looking apps.
15. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 6828; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
It can still handle it. Motorola doesn't like the customers that saved it from going bankrupt.
2. TheDarkKnight (banned) (Posts: 88; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Motorola is very consumer friendly. I wish they release a beast phone quickly.
5. shirtlessrabbit4 (Posts: 40; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
Razr HD maxx, they already have sort of
16. TheDarkKnight (banned) (Posts: 88; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
By beast I mean s4 pro CPU, 8 mp better camera ( you know backside illumination and all that s**t), a more beautiful design, an improved 1280 x 768 display. In cell touch like iPhone 5 and Optimus G. A huge battery too.
14. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 6828; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Motorola is very consumer friendly? Since when? This program is just another slap in the face. I've had to encourage many of my friends not to get any Motorola phone because of this.
19. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Why.. other companies are just not updating and letting that be. At least Motorola is doing something.
23. lsutigers (Posts: 815; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
You're missing the point, the problem here is Motorola actually PROMISED the updates for some of these phones and people bought with the idea that their phones would be updated. Motorola really screwed up, there is nothing generous about what they're doing. All this is is a glorified trade-in program that they're labeling as make -up credit. Now pretty much all manufacturers or retailers offer a trade-in program that doesn't force you to buy another Moto phone which most people dont even want because of this issue and their shotty update track record.
3. Sniggly (Posts: 7290; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
As much as I still love Motorola, this program is utter bulls**t. They're going to have to work hard to repair their badly damaged reputation.
6. roldefol (Posts: 3262; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
And how will $100 help someone who bought an Atrix 2 or Droid 3 last fall? If you're in a 2 year contract, you aren't eligible to upgrade for at least 20 months. You'd have to either pay $100 off FULL PRICE, or wait until next summer anyway.
7. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3434; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I completely agree. Almost everyone who bought these phones on contract is probably still on contract, so that $100 would be going toward buying one of their new phones outright. That's sounds pretty s**tty to me...unless anyone can tell me if I'm missing something here.
EDIT: Obviously roldefol & I were thinking the same thing. Shitty deal.
9. jroc74 (Posts: 5541; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Huge Moto fan too, but I agree. Some of the phones on this list doesnt make sense.
13. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
AT&T, US Cellular, and Sprint as well
10. GoBears (Posts: 427; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Too bad you can get more than 100 bucks for most of these phones on Craigslist lol.
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7040; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Fck Motorola for not updating or 2011 phones. This is the last time I'm buying a phone from them and why the hell is the BIONIC only one getting ICS? I'm never ever going to buy another Motorola phones plus they keep giving all the hot RAZRS phones only to verizon. and 50$ isn't enough buying a new phone should at least give us those that's not RECIEVING 4.0 at least 129$. FCK U MOTOROLA
21. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 6828; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
For once I agree with Sniggly. You seriously need to chill and stop cussing a storm here. Not even Sniggly cusses as much as you do.
22. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
He doesn't need to chill he needs jellybean from Motorola