Motorola may be ditching the bezel and going all screen
0. phoneArena posted on 31 Aug 2012, 17:57
According to a new report, Motorola may be working on a smartphone that has no bezel at all and is just the smartphone display from edge-to-edge, which is a bold design move, and it may even have some practical benefits...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Captain_Doug posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:09 22 2
I cannot wait till someone says that phones NEED a bezel. Cannot wait. Super excited for it. Yay.
5. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:15 18 5
The thing is tho....phones do NEED one. If you have an edge to edge display, I would be constantly worried about dropping it. That is your glass display taking the full force of the drop, not the bezel.
Not only that but you would constantly be accidently touching the screen just by holding it on each sides.
8. TylerGrunter posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:21 10 0
You can use a non-responsive virtual bezel around the screen. Problem solved. You can still have a bigger screen in a smaller space with no accidental touches.
13. Captain_Doug posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:36 5 1
I'd be worried about dropping any phone, bezel or no. I don't touch my phone on the sides. I hold my fingers on the back and my thumb touches the front. How do you hold your phone?
16. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:45 4 0
My thumb holds the right top corner of the bezel while my fingers hold the left middle side of the bezel.
22. andro. posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:51 16 0
Someone might almost question: are ye 'holding it wrong' !!!
32. TROLL posted on 31 Aug 2012, 20:16 3 0
Kingkouroggi good news for him. He loves MOTO!
42. KingKurogiii posted on 01 Sep 2012, 00:56 2 0
this isn't really news to me. PA is talking about the Razr M and don't realize it. xD
17. Non_Sequitur posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:45 3 1
Yeah, this. Also, is it just me, or do phones look kinda ugly without a bezel?
31. TROLL posted on 31 Aug 2012, 20:11 0 0
Edge2Edge, if only Motorola make's this phone and Edge2Edge
design, with flat rear surface....! "CONCEPT" The stuff of dreams!
41. RomeoJDR posted on 01 Sep 2012, 00:44 1 1
Hmmm, and what is the entire back of the iPhone made of? Sure it can crack but overall it's been proven a pretty durable phone. Edge to edge screen will be awesome as you can have around a 20% increase in display while keeping the same dimensions in your hand. And, as someone else pointed out, I expect the worst when I drop my phone on a hard surface anyways.
27. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 31 Aug 2012, 19:40 5 0
Bezel-less screen will pose some challenges, but not huge challenges I guess.
And that's exciting.
34. Droid_X_Doug posted on 31 Aug 2012, 20:59 1 0
Could this be the new form-factor for the RAZR HD? Fortunately, the official word will be released Sept. 5th. Lots of new toys are getting ready to hit the market. Decisions, decisions. Which one to buy?
45. Femto posted on 01 Sep 2012, 01:17 0 0
Oh wait. It's already been done - the Motorola Razr. Shazam! Jk. Those are good phones :)
2. Hemlocke posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:11 3 0
I'm not sure how well that would work, but I will wait and see. The thin One S I had didn't have much side bezel, and I had a lot of accidental inputs just grabbing it.
4. TylerGrunter posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:13 2 0
I knew someone was going to say that... Read my comment below.
3. TylerGrunter posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:12 7 0
I think no bezel is a good idea actually. The disadvantage that most of the people mention is that you would press some buttons involuntarely, but the fact is that there is some area arond the buttons with nothing in it. Make that area non touch sensitve (via software) and problem solved, you have a bigger screen with no issues. Some kind of "virtual bezel" if you want, shows images but you can´t press it.
20. andro. posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:49 3 0
in a way this sort of technology has already been introduced by Samsung on the note 10.1 and the new galaxy note 2. When using the s pen if you accidently press on the sides of the screen with parts of your hands the software built in is designed to reject any input by accidental screen presses.
24. christianqwerty posted on 31 Aug 2012, 19:23 2 1
Ok guys... Have you Thoight about how you would be able to put on a case? You wouldn't be able to use a case on a phone like that.
6. aokde posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:16 1 0
well someone will post this sooner or later :D
no bezel means accidental screen touches....
though i really would like to see a smartphone with such screen, makes look premium :D
15. Captain_Doug posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:41 1 0
Not necessarily. The edge of the screen doesn't have to be touch sensitive. I'm sure that could be figured out regardless.
7. andro. posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:17 2 0
This i am excited to see how it turns out. Motorola has a track record recently of producing extremely thin but durable and very premium robust devices. If they repeat this with a bezelless device we could possible see a 5 inch screen on a handset only slightly larger than a gs2.
9. roscuthiii posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:28 0 0
I kinda like having a bezel on my Maxx... it prevents accidental touch input. ;-)
10. roscuthiii posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:30 2 0
Sorry guys, I didn't get the memo. We're doing the, "no bezel is gooder" thing now right?
11. gallitoking posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:30 4 4
putting a otterbox on that thing will be a b!&^*&
12. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:34 2 0
Wouldn't most covers actually....dare I say.....Cover the display? Lol
53. Droid_X_Doug posted on 01 Sep 2012, 15:46 0 0
Typically, there is some bezel. Even the GS III has a small amount of bezel along the sides. I doubt the Moto unit will be totally bezel-free. As long as there is some bezel, the case should not cover the actual screen.
19. Non_Sequitur posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:48 4 0
Gallito? Posting a comment? Without trolling?
Somebody pinch me. I must be dreaming.
49. Peter27 posted on 01 Sep 2012, 10:36 2 0
Sorry i am worried of pinching you in case apple sue me as they patented the pinch...
50. andro. posted on 01 Sep 2012, 13:04 0 0
Otterbox for the galaxy s3 is a nightmare to put on!
51. Droid_X_Doug posted on 01 Sep 2012, 15:42 0 0
How so? I installed an Otterbox Commuter case on a friend's GS III with no problems at all.
52. Droid_X_Doug posted on 01 Sep 2012, 15:44 0 0
I have had pretty good luck with Otterbox cases. The hardest was putting a Commuter case on an iPad1. It took 2 attempts to get everything aligned up, but the 2nd time went pretty much hassle-free.
14. protozeloz posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:37 0 0
wonder how that truns out.... maybe will see the droid rarz hd lte too......
18. jasongohjr posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:46 0 0
I would like to see what would they come out with... The razr m does looks nice with the small bezel. And I hope it would not be the device that the article mention above. As it's also a version branding phone.
21. roscuthiii posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:51 0 0
I wonder if it would be a slider with a QWERTY like the Photon Q or Droid 4... the slightly added thickness could help alleviate that dastardly accidental touch worry mentioned above.
23. khmer posted on 31 Aug 2012, 18:55 0 1
I wish Motorola used Asahi Glass Dragontrail is stronger, break and scratch resistant but Samsung display tied to Gorilla Glass.
25. FrostyDanny posted on 31 Aug 2012, 19:29 0 1
I'll get this phone forsure ONLY if they have a removable battery!
29. protozeloz posted on 31 Aug 2012, 20:01 1 0
@Michael I was thinking this might actually be possible, for a phone to be all screen and still have a fairly good input.... how? my theory goes quite simple we have a full screen, all you need to do is program the OS to disable certain areas of the touchscreen depending on how the device is been hold (accelerometer, gyro, new sensor for that), it could bring a nice input while making the device as accurate as a phone with a body, now to ensure the phone will resist drops and other issues we may see the use of bendable materials such as the screen and battery as well as new soldering methods like the one used on the razr
39. Sniggly posted on 01 Sep 2012, 00:28 2 0
If Motorola can overcome the engineering challenges that come with such a device, I'm all for it. I just wish they would stop being Verizon's bitch and come out with top end devices for the other carriers.
40. RomeoJDR posted on 01 Sep 2012, 00:38 1 0
This would be awesome and surprising coming from a manufacturer with amongst the largest bezels with their flagship phones to no bezel. Maybe the Gorilla Glass 2 is more than just hype?
43. KingKurogiii posted on 01 Sep 2012, 01:04 1 0
yeah, you mean the Razr M? I pointed out it's lack of bezel in one of the articles you know. xD
47. Jphones posted on 01 Sep 2012, 01:24 1 0
They don't need a bezel just DONT DROP YOUR .........@ an it'ss be obvious made of some kind of special material that counters your buttery fingers. an theres going to be some cool cases for it and it will be the cleanest phone we have seen. No bezel just screen
48. jan25 posted on 01 Sep 2012, 01:43 0 0
ironic considering Moto's reputation for big bezels