Motorola cutting workforce by 20%, shutting down third of global offices
Google is planning to reorganize Motorola by mainly cutting its presence in Asia in general and India in particular with main operations left in Chicago, Sunnyvale, California and Beijing, China.
Slashing the workforce and narrowing down operations means less orders for Motorola's suppliers and have only half of its current component orders. That's the start Google is giving to Motorola under its management. With strict rules, and no favorites in the Android ecosystem, so far the strategy has worked for the platform, it remains to be seen how it'd work for Motorola.
3. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
Noo this actually sounds like good news! I bet we are gonna be pleased with the new management when we start to see the future products and updates that come along with it.....
11. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5921; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
If Moto handsets and tablets are sold through carriers, partners (like Best Buy) and the Play store, cutting the footprint is probably a good idea. Cutting the VPs is another good idea - time to cut the overhead numbers.
4. myindia (Posts: 15; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
its time they get their acts straight ... always wondered why motorola still exists india as they do not compete here much ! Never been on my buying list !
5. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
I think they're gonna have some major improvements with a bit of google management behind desk and its going to be something to behold! Cant wait to see what they got in store
6. darktranquillity (Posts: 284; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
No need to cut motorola's presence in india. Retail shops don carry motorola phones, even if they do no one needs it. Motorola's presence is limited to online shopping sites. Its all about samsung, nokia, and sony.
7. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
well maybe for you it is but not the US....
10. tedkord (Posts: 5129; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
I don't think having an office in Sunnydale is a good idea. It's on a Hellmouth, with all kinds of vampires and demons.
16. remixfa (Posts: 14077; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Trim the fat, streamline the process, reduce and focus products to make them better. Looks like google is gonna be a good business make over artist.
31. remixfa (Posts: 14077; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
its not a nightmare. The company shrank, the workforce needs to shrink with it. When the company grows, they will add jobs back. Jobs come and go, nothing lasts forever.
19. MicroNokia (Posts: 15; Member since: 18 May 2012)
I was eagerly waiting for Moto Razr HD Maxx
21. Sniggly (Posts: 7180; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
It's not that they won't sell there anymore. They are just cutting corporate offices.
40. BattleBrat (Posts: 1148; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Hmmm, cutting 40% of the vice presidents, sounds like Google is trimming the fat!
I for one am giddy as a kid at Christmas waiting for that "V" kevlar backed RAZR HD to arrive, but I might skip it and wait for a Quad core offering...
43. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
why they will cut motorola's presence in Asia?!! i like Motorola than samsung!!!! i dont want to use smsung device!