Motorola adds more phones to ICS upgrade list
0. phoneArena 15 Feb 2012, 11:49 posted on
Motorola updated its list of upcoming updates, adding several recent phones to the list for pending ICS updates, while also increasing the expected wait-time for those updates...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. fervid (Posts: 183; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
At least both Atrix phones will be getting it now. Shame I had too many IMAP issues and vanishing apps claimed to be on SD Card with my Atrix 2. Better IMAP an dless issues would have made it a great phone...Super Amoled + even better, but at least it wasn't Pentile.
23. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
If I were you, I would get a better phone.
26. ledbetterp3 (Posts: 467; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
Yeah, just don't downgrade to an iPhone. Haha, he doesn't even have the ATRIX 2 anymore... Anyways, the ATRIX 2 is a great phone, but I'm having minor GPS issues, but that's it. I'm really glad that its getting ICS like I knew it would. Some fag at xda-developers was just swearing it wouldn't, and convincing some gullible retards, but I had faith in Motorola!
2. bubba78 (Posts: 57; Member since: 23 May 2011)
I wish they would update the Bionic and the Razr already.
3. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
if 2 dozen independent developers could port ICS onto my ventana tegra 2 g2x without any help from nvidia or lg than Moto has absolutely no excuse why they cant put ICS on every OMAP device.
25. biophone (Posts: 1955; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
You didn't consider those independent developers didn't have to deal with google and carriers aproval. Plus they have to skin ics something devolpers don't. If you look at unskinned phones the updates are fast. Plus moto has alot of other things they are working on.
33. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
my point was that motorola has infintely more resources than developers. moto says the problem is that the chipsets are too different. well independent developers have ported ics onto every major chipset. so why cant moto put ics on devices with the same chipset as the GNEX?
also the developers have made about half a dozen different themes and kangs for my device already, so building skins isnt a valid excuse.
34. biophone (Posts: 1955; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
The chip sets aren't the problem michael h said so it was a lame excuse. The problem is carrier approval and skins. Building a skin on a new platform is time consiling and is a valid excise.
38. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, it's a different story all the time. nobody wants to paint anybody in a bad light that's holding them by their pockets.
39. biophone (Posts: 1955; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Android really needs to take some control back from the carriers and maybe we could see more faster updates.
4. gubbels214 (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
So glad they included the original atrix i was afraid it would get lost in the fray of the Atrix 2. heck the atrix has better specs then the 2
10. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
actually the 2 is more powerful. why would they have made it if it wasn't? xD
5. smdeezy (Posts: 66; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
If they already gave the Xoom ICS the Photon should be next in line. The specs are exactly the same!
6. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
? no they are not. the xoom uses the harmony tegra2 while the photon uses the ventana tegra2.
37. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i didn't know Nvidia made such changes to the Tegra II. o:
40. biophone (Posts: 1955; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I didn't know that either. However a sliglty different gpu is no reason not to give the photon ics.smdeezys point still stand. I would like to hear what remixfa has to say on these proccesor differences.
41. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it's probably like the difference between an OMAP4430 and a 4460. not that different. o:
42. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Yeah its no biggie, I was just replying to the guy claiming that they have exactly the same specs.
7. maxkobi (Posts: 30; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
let me try to translate what moto means >>> "its really hard to add BLUR to ICS" haha
8. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
FINALLY MY ATRIX is listed. thought we were left out including others. It's always Verizon gets the updates first which is unfair
20. Yankchef (Posts: 76; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
Actually if i read it correctly the atnt/sprint atrix/2/photon are all in development where the verizon handsets are still one step behind in the evaluation stage, so seems to me that the new verizon handsets will get updated after the others
9. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Yeah, I saw this news a little earlier. It made me really happy. :) I mean, Q3 could mean as early as summer, but even with Moto's past reputation, the latest we're probably looking at is September. So maybe about 7 months from now.
As I said before, I don't mind waiting as long as I know that I'm getting something at the other end.
27. thephoneguy92 (Posts: 191; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Why would you get a thumbs down for this comment...
12. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it better be sooner rather than later for my Razr like March-April soon.
14. Yankchef (Posts: 76; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
I am also a bit surprised that the droid x2 and the droid 3 are not on this list... but as has been made clear it is an continuously developing process and they still could be
15. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
If you read the update list and its preface, you'll see that the devices listed all have a gig of RAM. Whether that will continue to be a minimum requirement remains to be seen.
18. Yankchef (Posts: 76; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
Yea was just reading through it seems to be the common factor, 1 gb of ram was definitely on my must have list when i was upgrading. Knew it would pay off down the road
19. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
LOL, same here. I'm really glad in retrospect that I didn't convince my friends to go with Verizon and the DROID 3. I knew the 512 megs of RAM was going to be trouble.
36. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
mehh, it wasn't bad. it wasn't even a problem with the V6 Supercharger script i used on mine.
22. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Those two phones are outdated and not relevant anymore. Course, they were never any good to begin with.
24. Scott_H (Posts: 167; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)
They're pretty relevant if you happened to buy one.
31. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
So how does it feel, thinking you're clever?
46. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
You should try it, at least your comments would make some sense.
47. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
And what exactly have I said which doesn't make sense?
Or is this just an example of you being a meathead again?
48. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Just about everything you say, kiddo.
The only one being a meathead here is you.
49. Yankchef (Posts: 76; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
Online forums such as this should be a plane for the affluent and educated to engage in constructive conversation and debate meaningful topics. Not to act like children and spew meaningless crap.
50. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Since you can't give a straight answer to save your life, you must either be a meathead or a sucky troll. Consider this: you have been at this whole shtick for at least a year. This kind of dedication indicates that you have a really s**tty life, or that you're an obsessive freak.
52. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Yeah, I know. But the more time he spends on me, the less he spends on anyone else.
55. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Please, those words will fly right over his incredibly big head.
53. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Get over yourself. You're just getting desperate now. If anything, you've been at this for a year since you're keeping tabs, though how incorrect. So what does that say about you, Sniggles?
58. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Desperate? It's just a funny thing I've noticed. After a while, trolling ceases to be trolling and just becomes....sad. I really mean it.
62. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
But I don't.
And Tuesday morning wasn't a dream.
35. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i would be surprised if the Droid 3 didn't make the list but not so much Moto's mistake the X2...
16. antmiu2 (Posts: 312; Member since: 19 Jun 2011)
yessss ICS for the ATRIX 4G!!! Q3, mean while I´ll use custom ROMS
17. theBankRobber (Posts: 681; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
People keep forgetting that Google said they want to do once a year updates. Around the summer last year ( July - September ) is when the phones started getting Gingerbread, in the states that is. So July-September this year for a update is about right. This is a good time to hit the Motorola forums and look for a sign up testers post. Testers are going to get the update before carriers do so its a good time to sign up.
28. StillStuckWithDroid (Posts: 65; Member since: 19 Jul 2011)
from deductive reasoning I would have to assume that the Bionic and Razrs will not even sniff ICS till 2013
way to screw over your customers Moto
30. Carlitos (Posts: 513; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Lol day made! Motorola Atrix 4g getting ICS. And by the looks of it around the same time it got GB last year. One thing I really like about Motorola. Is how they are probably the fastest Android manufacturer to update there devices. Even if its just for bug fixes.
32. lenrad (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
motorola is slacking! how is it that i have og X and am running ics. it works pefectly fine except for the camera. it can't be too hard if a 13 yr old dev figured out how to get it to work. i have had no problems.
63. BomberXL (Posts: 82; Member since: 17 Jan 2012)
yes! my atrix 4G just keeps coming back as a phone to last through the times!