Motorola X to launch July 8th for $299?
0. phoneArena 21 Jan 2013, 18:37 posted on
The eagerly awaited Motorola X is now rumored to be introduced in May at Google I/O and will actually launch on July 8th for $299 on contract; the phone will also be made available at the Google Play Store priced without a contract similar to the how the Google Nexus 4 is sold; the Motorola X is expected to launch with Key Lime Pie installed...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. downphoenix (Posts: 3150; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
"This could be the first Motorola model to debut a new Android OS build since the original Motorola DROID launched Android 2.0"
what about the motorola xoom and honeycomb?
9. T.R.O.L.L (banned) (Posts: 51; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
This is KeyLimePie, this should be much smoother than WP8, cause the framerates on JB are on par with iOS, so I'm thinking will KLP be above 100 FPS, cause WP8 rates are at 90FPS.....?
22. papss (unregistered)
So because you say "should" then it must be true.. You would have to go three updates from now to be that smooth
28. papss (unregistered)
Hey I'm just playing your game man
51. papss (unregistered)
I have no idea.. Never met or know him.. I'd rather mess with you.. Far more fun don't you think? I don't get quite as worked up
53. T.R.O.L.L (banned) (Posts: 51; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Yea cool, it's sometimes fun, I agree, true ™®©
31. half_21 (Posts: 44; Member since: 16 Nov 2012)
Yes frames rate of jb are 'almost' on par, but still occasional lags are still present way more than what ios has...As much as i want my JB devices to be better than apple's i'm afraid it is still not..yes my android devices are much cooler than ios...but u got to give it to apple when it comes to OS, their UI sucks though
37. T.R.O.L.L (banned) (Posts: 51; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
I think or is it the way its been written, Java?
13. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
The quote uses motorola phone not model.
Xoom obviously isnt a phone.
15. jroc74 (Posts: 5980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Unless the quote got changed...it does say phone. But you are right about the Xoom and Honeycomb.
78. shnibz (Posts: 275; Member since: 18 Sep 2011)
It says "Motorola Phone" dude.the xoom isn't a phone
2. datsyuk (Posts: 179; Member since: 11 Jan 2012)
"The phone will come with a locked bootloader via Big Red, although you can get it unlocked at a price of $15 a month."
Uhhhh what? Lmao what a joke if that's true. Watch Google offer it for $300 off contract through the Play Store too haha.
54. theo14461 (Posts: 320; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Right, what a joke that Verizon would charge an ongoing $15/month. Greedy Verizon!! What a rip-off company.
74. 14545 (Posts: 1447; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
No kidding. I mean WTF? 15 dollars a month for the "luxury" of a small bit of code to unlock my phone one time, which then kills my warranty? Then I have to pay 300 dollars and sign my life away for two years? Damn, that's some crap right there. I'm done with big sleezy red. And I'm not even one of those people who gets mad at a company for making money. But seriously? Who in the fonk would buy that? Oh, and then on top of all that, they would be allowed to kick us off our unlimited data.
3. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
This is very interesting... if the phone is going to be offered on Google Play, does that mean it could be a GSM device also?
4. ckoch125 (Posts: 192; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Ill buy through google. $15 a month for Verizon to unlock it and $300 on contract. No thanks Verizon
57. theo14461 (Posts: 320; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
No Thanks is Right!! Verizon would do anything to get your money!!
5. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
And once again, if this is true, Verizon seeks to completely f**k up a good thing. I'll buy mine unlocked through Google if it's available that way. Maybe I can talk to the powers that be about getting Best Buy to flip the bird to the carriers and ink a deal to offer the unlocked X. It's been frustrating not being able to offer the Nexus line in store.
55. HTCOE (Posts: 632; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
this will be one of those phone where you would say' "should've been a Nexus"
65. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 10548; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I don't think it's that huge of a deal Sniggly. Verizon isn't forcing you to use their services.
68. T.R.O.L.L (banned) (Posts: 51; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Wow Mxyzptlk with 2 greens, thumbs up....!™
70. T.R.O.L.L (banned) (Posts: 51; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Mxyzptlk which phones did you own, and use know?
66. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I think Google should open Google Play retail stores for the Nexus line when it expands a bit, along with some Motorola devices. I would apply there, it would be nice to work for Google.
81. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
oh gosh, i would too! i wish i could just get a job at Verizon or T-Mobile or something. i usually have more phone knowledge than like everybody in the stores. i just can't get my foot through the door. T.T
85. kellkeezy (Posts: 57; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
you dont want to work for Verizon. To be honest working with this company is a pain in the a$s, because its the top rated company, customers feel entitled to any and everything. If you do work for Verizon or any carrier for that fact go for Business to Business, or Tech support. Stay away from the front lines. But then again I dont work for corprate, So stay away from retailers that have bad customer reviews.
87. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
They are like that at every company dude. I worked for VZW and for Tmobile. VZW is more rigid by far but they also pay the most, so its a fair game. Tmobile is a very lax company comparatively but it also pays about half as much.
Rich customers are just as much of a pain as ghetto customers. A bunch of people that are used to riding the system for free on the backs of tax payers are just as whiney and demanding as those that actually make money. Rich or poor, everyone wants it now.. and they want it for free.
100. kellkeezy (Posts: 57; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
I worked for Tmobile as well, hahahahahah, @kingkurogiii honestly the best way to get sales experience is to apply at retailers rather then corp. stores
88. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Tmobile will hire you long before VZW will. VZW is a much harder company to get hired at. Go in and make friends with managers. Tmobile will hire you without experience faster.
91. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I know how you feel. I mean, a lot of jobs require past experience in a certain field. How can I get experience if no one will give me a job in the first place!?
94. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
exactly! where does one get said sales experience!? it's all kinda dumb...
99. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Unless you have connections with the management, you won't get hired without previous experience. And that previous experience usually is gained from having connections with the management to get you the job...
If you're friends with the manager, you win. If not, you're screwed until some nice guy just says, "Why not?" And gives you a chance.
I know where they're coming from, you can know everything in the world about phones, but if you can't work well with customers you are of no use. But, instead of requiring previous experience, why not just get some sort of training program? I know some retailers do that, but they still require previous experience.
Make it like a sales associate training for those who don't have sales experience. Because some people are just naturally good with customers without experience, and that gives them a chance to get a job instead of being SOL because you don't have x amount of time in the field.
76. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Sniggly, I usually agree with you bro, but here I'll have to disagree. If this phone isn't a Nexus, then what will be the big deal about it? The specs will have to be monstrous to charge the $299 on contract, and if that is what the contract price is, I wouldn't expect this phone to sell for less than $600 off, probably more, especially with an unlocked bootloader.
I think some people on here look for reasons to go out of their way to bash Verizon. As of now, all of this is simply speculation, so no reason for anyone to get their panties in a bunch. Verizon isn't perfect, but what carrier is?
80. MikeG77 (Posts: 401; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
You are correct in your statement that no carrier is perfect but Sniggly has a point. Verizon consistently goes out of there way to screw us over.
For example no new every 2, 1 yr pricing is gone, no unlimited data unless you buy at retail/eBay, bootloaders are all locked down, stupid amounts of bloatware, slow as dirt update process, $30 upgrade fee, horrible branding of there devices ie galaxy note 2 home button, family share plans......I can keep going.
Now they have the nerve to possibly charge someone $15 a month for the bootloader to be unlocked. If i buy my phone straight up i shouldn't have to pay an additional $360. I'm all for Verizon making money but we as consumers have to draw a line and say "enough is enough".
Yes you are right all of is this is a rumor but Verizon has established a very good track record of making very poor decisions that supposedly benefit the customer but it really only benefits them.
83. troutsy (Posts: 309; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
It's simple Supply vs. Demand.
Verizon would LOVE to charge more to have less users on their network, bringing in equivalent (or greater) profits.... But, no matter what they do, people just do not leave for other carriers.
Whatchagonnado? Keep raising the price and get a bigger bag to hold all the cash you're raking in.
95. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
No doubt MikeG, but notice the timing of when the NE2 credits, 1 year pricing contracts, and other things started to disappear: iPhone launch on Verizon. I will admit I have no proof that the iPhone is responsible, but I do know that Verizon makes very little profit off of the iPhone, and that those programs that were so cool and good to customers disappeared about the time VZW got the iPhone 4. Coincidence? You decide.
98. MikeG77 (Posts: 401; Member since: 24 Nov 2008)
Most of the promos were killed off in summer 2011 prior to launch of the 4s. Plus Verizon can make up whatever loss in revenue with volume sales and accessories.
6. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Man, Verizon be screwing errything up!
58. theo14461 (Posts: 320; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
That's because they are the perfect rip-off company.
59. T.R.O.L.L (banned) (Posts: 51; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
But well know for there 4G LTE and have every handsets available ™
7. T.R.O.L.L (banned) (Posts: 51; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
What about the specs...?
Quad-core S4 Pro A15 Dual-core 1.7 Ghz
Stainless steel, Aluminum build
Unibody or detachable
12MP camera, with Ex neon Flash, front 3 MP HD720
Video 1080P 60 Fps
Motorola are not know for there specs....?
Where is Kingkuroogi.....?
14. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
All that for $300? On Verizon? LOL the day that happens.
19. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Well, the DNA is $200 on Verizon, I don't think $300 is far off for those rumored specs TROLL listed.
23. T.R.O.L.L (banned) (Posts: 51; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Hey Berzerk I was thinking and forgot to mention you're name and knewd you and Kingkorogiii will be appearing or posting on this article.
I wonder where is PAPINYC...?
27. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I've got this Motorola X all covered. Any article I see I jump on it immediately, this is exciting, haha.
I'm sure he's around here somewhere.
26. papss (unregistered)
We are talking rumored specs right? for me 300.00 on contract is silly period..I don't care if it gives me a BJ and let's troll watch it wouldn't be worth it
43. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
Verizon sold that junkie Verizon Galaxy Nexus on December 15th 2011 for 300 dollars. Why not another if people are smart they will KICK VERIZON TO THE CURB. They are useless.
62. theo14461 (Posts: 320; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I agree, they take things too far. I don't see the value in their service.
77. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Verizon does have the best coverage, and by far the most LTE, whereas Tmo has spotty coverage still in many many parts of the US.
24. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
2 GB RAM
3,500 mAh battery
5" 1080p S-AMOLED or S-LCD3
Snapdragon 600 at least (maybe Tegra 4 or S800, I would settle for quad S4 Pro though)
Kevlar and metal body
Sealed unibody design for water resistance
Of course LTE, but with a new LTE radio for less power consumption (and T-Mobile Band 4 LTE compatibility please!)
Maybe a Sony back camera, 2 MP FFC
Gorilla Glass 3
These are my hopes.
29. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
those are reasonable expectations. o:
8. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
What did i tell ya only for Verizon. hmpf
16. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
what part of "it is still expected to be available from multiple carriers" don't you understand?
11. T.R.O.L.L (banned) (Posts: 51; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Whose thumbing down every comment....?
Will the real slim shady please stand up!