Motorola X Phone is highly unlikely to be customizable
0. phoneArena 20 Mar 2013, 20:43 posted on
Last week, we heard a rumor that the Motorola X Phone could be sold as a customizable device, where you chose the features you wanted, and your phone would arrive about a week later. Earlier today, Motorola advisor Guy Kawasaki hinted at a future that would offer customizable phones...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ajac09 (Posts: 1107; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
so your saying your insiders are better then other insiders? lol how about no one knows anything.
23. jroc74 (Posts: 3458; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Thats life in the rumor mill. Whoever takes rumors as fact....oh well.
24. cheetah2k (Posts: 696; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
iPA's sources have always been uber dodgy. I don't believe anything that goes around in the rumour mill in here until it's really happened.
2. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4215; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Well anyone could have told you that. Phonearena just publishing articles for traffic...
Expecting a warning in 3...2...1...
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
I'm not sure what is 'customisable' that pa refers to. But I'm pretty sure that android fans are smart enough to root it anyway :)
12. bizwhizzy (Posts: 31; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
Very first sentence of the article: "a customizable device, where you chose the hardware features you wanted, and your phone would arrive about a week later"
15. wendygarett (unregistered)
I'm not very understand that, can you give me an example?
17. bizwhizzy (Posts: 31; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
There's a link in the article... If you don't understand something, why not learn first, then comment?
18. bizwhizzy (Posts: 31; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
It means you choose things like storage, maybe RAM, or screen size, and your phone is built to order. Like if you ordered a computer from alienware
22. wendygarett (unregistered)
Oh, it's a hardware customization... I thought it's software tho, my apologies mate lol
4. protozeloz (Posts: 5189; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I think customizable phones could be a waist of resources, although the general idea is there, and they could just mass produce their micro phone (remember Google bought the company that made the smallest phone)
Maybe what we see is two pieces one the hardware (a screen, a camera, and a battery wrapped up all together and the innards (processor ram and storage) so people who wish to upgrade to a better screen and hardware could go for a certain piece and people willing to go for new insides can go too, this is also am lot of pressure and in think the customizable part would be how much high end you want it to be, for example 3 sets of phones and 3 sets of dinars will give you about 9 different phones that can come of a result of mixed insides and outside, now aside of how dreamy the scenario looks like the amount of money needed to move those resources is big...
5. Captain_Doug (Posts: 730; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I see them saying they'll customize a device by color, storage size and whether or not motoblur is installed. Other than that, it's too expensive to do. However I sure hope it happens.
6. MotorolaAndroidIndonesia (Posts: 24; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
I believe Guy Kawasaki. I dont believe Phone Arena because Phone Arena many time give wrong information. Phone Arena before says Motorola Droid Bionic Cancel but Motorola Droid Bionic Release and than Phone Arena Edit thats article in Phone Arena says Motorola Droid Bionic Cancel. Last week, Phone Arena have information about Nexus 5 / LG Megalodon and now thats information to be fake. Haha... Phone Arena is the most untrusted website.
7. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2575; Member since: 26 May 2011)
We aren't disagreeing with Mr Kawasaki. He never said it would be the X Phone just that he'd like to see customizable phones.
20. protozeloz (Posts: 5189; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Dude those are rumors, it can be true, it can be a lie... Also many of the news are based on other sources backing it up, I think its dumb to talk like that
9. Dacha (Posts: 12; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Phone arena jumps on rumors to fast. To many armature writers that have no clue about the tech they write about.
14. bizwhizzy (Posts: 31; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
Agreed. Alan and AndroidandMe jumped too fast on this story.
25. BitterTruth (unregistered)
Hope there would be a option to customize cameras too. Probably Motorola's cameras sucks.
26. gallitoking (Posts: 4571; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Motorola.phones are the hardest to unlock/ or root.. So let's get one thing straight... It will remain that way...
32. taikucing (Posts: 609; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
mine is rooted. And my friend's has CM rom on it.
it's not that hard
36. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5428; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
you obviously have no idea what you're talking about...
35. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5428; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
after having a 2.04'd Droid DNA i appreciate the Motorola dev community that are experienced enough to work AROUND a device being locked down so they can be rooted and be able to flash custom roms whereas on the DNA since it was possible to unlock it development went full force with that knowledge but now it's impossible to unlock your DNA if you hadn't unlocked it prior to receiving the latest OTA update that stops the exploits. i can't even root my DNA.