Motorola DROID Terminator expected to be Android Gingerbread flagship
0. phoneArena posted on 11 Oct 2010, 15:08
The Schaumburg based company is working on a Tegra 2 flavored device that has been confirmed by the CEO of both Motorola and NVIDIA...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. JayW (unregistered) posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:49 0
That doesn't make sense how can it be a DROID if its going to other carriers. I don't think VZW is paying Lucas Films to share the name DROID with the other carriers.
3. tomorrowisnow (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 15:34 0
Maybe Motorola is the one licensinsg the name from Lucas and VZW has some sort of sub-license or agreement for advertising purposes. It would be interesting to know for sure.
9. VZWbamf posted on 11 Oct 2010, 16:24 0
But there are HTC models under the 'Droid' name as well.
11. FormerVZWRep (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 16:31 0
It is VZW that owns the trademark, not Motorola. On the bottom of all the promotional pieces for any "Droid" it says specifically VZM is licensing from LucasArts.
15. Hippo posted on 11 Oct 2010, 18:39 0
I'm guessing the versions not on Verizon will just have a different name. In europe their version of the droid is called the milestone.
20. Droid X Doug (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 21:59 0
If VZW is licensing from LucasArts, I suspect that LucasArts is the owner of the Droid trademark. I tend to doubt that LucasArts has given VZW an exclusive license unless VZW is paying them a bunch of cash for the license. If HTC has released Droid models for non-VZW networks, then VZW did not exclusively license the Droid trademark.
24. numberonenygfan posted on 12 Oct 2010, 08:23 0
eris, and hero...among others.. so this could definatley be a reality...
31. Dongo (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2010, 11:04 0
Here is how it works VZ pays Lucas for the licence. Then VZ puts that name on any product they want. So example HTC made the incredible VZ applys the DROID to it hence the HTC Droid incredible. Now Moto just goes along with VZ and use what ever verizon wants to call it. But the same phone on other carriers they put a name on (milestone). But there is no licence for Moto to use the DROID trademark from LucasArts.
2. tomorrowisnow (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 15:33 0
Like most shotgun weddings, the one between Motorola and VZW may already be over.
4. jayinbee (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 15:38 0
I doubt it will go to sprint, they haven't released a Sprint phone since the Razr 2 for some unknown reason.
5. hawk62 posted on 11 Oct 2010, 16:05 0
How cares. Moto makes SHIT phones and android is a weak OS.
12. Joshing4fun posted on 11 Oct 2010, 17:07 0
hawk probably posted that from his motorola razr.
21. Droid X Doug (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 22:01 0
hawk probably came over from the webOS world. hawk, you need to point your browser tohttp://www.precentral.net You will find a more understanding community over there.
25. protozeloz posted on 12 Oct 2010, 09:08 0
Look man these are phone news and guess what we do care about nearly any news related with phones regardless of what kind of phone is it, I'm not personally a moto fan (I like SE) but calling crap the company that first invented the features most phone hold up to these days is just wrong, has Boone told ya to respect your elders? Moto might have some issue getting along with current user's demands but they have never stopped and they face a fair line of devices that have nothing to miss from other devices (maybe an open bootloader) but sure took them less time that others to get along with the standard hardware there day, at least read some articles an check why you should be kissing motos feethttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M
otorolaAnd Android a weak os? Can you back your words up? Cuz I begg to differ
39. CC161777 (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2010, 13:41 0
Hawk, you said once you got your iPhone you were going to stop complaining about your BS issues with Android. Please? Go bedazzle your iPhone and play in the corner with the other children.
7. etownone posted on 11 Oct 2010, 16:21 0
This sucks. I thought this phone was coming to verizon for the holidays.
8. gambino37 posted on 11 Oct 2010, 16:22 0
Yea really. HOW cares. Right hawk? Android is so weak that it's gobbling up market share in huge mouthfuls. Motorola is back with gusto.facts are facts homeboy. Do a little research before you type next time.
13. XxVerbalxX (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 17:10 0
1. Android is THE best OS avaiable right now 2. Motorola usually makes great phones hardware wise. Its anything software they touch that turns to molten shit. See motoblur for an example. 3. I cant believe so many comments about it being called a "Droid". Simple answer, VZW will call it the droid terminator, everywhere else will call it an android terminator. Not that hard to figure out folks, use common sense. Way to latch onto a tiny detail and not the whole friggin point.....
14. hawk62 posted on 11 Oct 2010, 18:30 0
Yeah yeah i made a typ-O! Get over yourselves. I had a Droid X for 2 months. Its fucking shit. Android is crap and between Moto n VZ they totally fucked up the phone. Go to moto's forum. There are lots of unhappy customers. The droid line is only getting market share because they flooded the market with a hundred different phones on 4 carriers. It will be a year or more till the android market comes close to matching the app store in numbers. And dont quote that the market matches it now. Half the market is duplicate apps you know the same app but one verison for each phone and addon apps. Those dont count.
18. HAHAHAH (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 19:23 0
Then why do they cound for the iphone????? They have far more duplicate apps than the Google market.
23. Sniggly posted on 12 Oct 2010, 08:18 0
You're full of shit, Hawk. You're the asshole who's bitched about how much Android sucks for months, and as I recall you own an Iphone. So why would you spend such a large amount of money on a Droid X and keep it for TWO MONTHS (meaning you got rid of it last month at the earliest) and thus have to pay the termination fee or go back to an old phone? So what makes Android crap? What makes the iPhone, with its shit reception, cracking back and 20 percent failure rate any better? Or if not the iPhone, what's your OS and phone of choice, and what makes it SO MUCH FREAKING BETTER than any Android?
27. protozeloz posted on 12 Oct 2010, 09:52 0
Yeah he goes to every news saying the same crap every time can't he just learn that if he doesn't care he would be better shut. And if we talk about complaints most companies have them in lots so why he wants moto to be an exception, I guess he is just pissed that other companies but his are trying to be innovative and his only relief is to go on news bashing against any progress done by any other company but his closing his eyes and saying "this is crap" Dude we don't want you telling us what we should not care about.
34. Droid X Doug (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2010, 12:54 0
"Or if not the iPhone, what's your OS and phone of choice, and what makes it SO MUCH FREAKING BETTER than any Android?" webOS - because no one else has it (exclusivity).
37. Sniggly posted on 12 Oct 2010, 13:33 0
Lol, had a Palm Pixi for a couple of weeks. If you gave me one with the processor and screen *or keyboard size* of a Droid 2 or X I'd call that a winner. Oh yeah, and better ringtone choices. And more apps. But yeah, the Pixi was a nice little smartphone.
40. XxVerbalxX (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2010, 17:19 0
i really do love webOS, just wish the hardware was better. if you want more ringtones just hook it up via USB and load em into the rintone folder. easy fix
16. just be happy (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 18:44 0
SMH. You WP7 ppl have been out in full force with ur "talking points" against android today. Just be happy we all have a CHOICE with what OS suits us the best. There are pros and cons to each OS avail........ but on another note Terminator is a BADASS name for an android device. I currently have a galaxy s but I may consider this moto handset. COMPETITION IS BEAUTIFUL
17. Bankai (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 18:48 0
I hope this phone is not loaded with motoblur... And hopefully for once the display is nice being they are getting help from nvidia... Dual core processor nice! Cannot wait!
33. protozeloz posted on 12 Oct 2010, 12:29 0
I personally belief blur should be a feature the user may want to install and the is may ask at fist boot "you want but with that" or come in one of those handy dandy CDs that let's you choose "to blur or not to blur" and have that flashed.
19. Ryanyayaee (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 19:37 0
Alright now what do I do? I reallllyyyyy want a new phone! Like insanely bad! I was hoping to get the Droid x in december since my contract is up then...and now this happens??!?!? Should i wait for this now or what?!?!?!?
32. protozeloz posted on 12 Oct 2010, 12:25 0
I personally think you should wait, the companies plan to reveal their secret weapons around Christmas time to and aiming for the fist one we saw might lead us to our doom. So January might be a good time some might have tried the phone you wanna buy and you will see how they feed your needs just bear with it for a lil longe, it will be worth it
38. Sniggly posted on 12 Oct 2010, 13:35 0
Well, if you're not eligible until December you have to wait anyway. Even if you're not a fan of any of the newest phones that'll come out, the price will drop on the older phones and you'll get them cheaper anyway. I'm perfectly happy with my X though. ^_^
41. XxVerbalxX (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2010, 17:21 0
wait for january, unless u can con someone into buying u something cool for xmas. free and awesome is always better than expensive as shit and amazing....at least in my opinion. urs may differ
22. skymitch89 (unregistered) posted on 11 Oct 2010, 23:15 0
I think that Verizon is the one who is launching the "Droid" branded phones and not HTC or Motorola or even Google.
26. gambino37 posted on 12 Oct 2010, 09:19 0
HTC DROID Incredible.......Motorola DROID X....Ever heard of them? Yes Verizon phones. Made by HTC, Motorola, and stuffed with Google.
28. VZWEMPLOYEE posted on 12 Oct 2010, 10:17 0
There are no HTC Droids there using Android OS but customers call everything Droids because the customer 7 out of 10 times knows nothing.
42. XxVerbalxX (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2010, 17:24 0
are u dense? u keep saying this over and over...to clarify: ITS AN ANDROID OS WITH THE HTC SENSE OVERLAY ITS STILL A FUCKING ANDROID. seriously dude who lets u keep ur job over there? lokks like 10 out of 10 times you cant tell you elbow from your asshole
29. ggfunk (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2010, 10:25 0
Can't wait to have William's score as a ringtone. Favorite movie = favorite cell phone? Maybe!
30. An other droid (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2010, 10:56 0
man seems like there is a new android phone every week... that why i am not gettiing one still not stable as Iphones or BB you have upgrade your OS every week lol..... and most like with every OG upgrade (froyo ginger bread etc) phone not working correctly or not compatible.....
35. ggfunk (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2010, 13:06 0
Upgrade every week eh? Try telling that to the Vibrant users!