Motorola DROID RAZR announced!
0. phoneArena 18 Oct 2011, 11:42 posted on
Motorola today finally announced the hot smartphone we've been hearing about lately - the Motorola DROID RAZR! But is there something to make this device special, besides its epic name? You bet...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. GoodFella (Posts: 112; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
12.5 Hours of Talk!? I hope it lives up to what it says! This would be revolutionary for an LTE Android! Nice job Moto!
48. iKingTrust (banned) (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
yea its looking good. On paper its the best droid i have ever seen
92. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
i feel horrible for anyone who bought a bionic....
2. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Motorola was quick to play up the 12.5 hour 3G talk time, but no word with LTE on. My guess is about half that.
69. terabyteRouser (Posts: 457; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
It don't think the phone uses LTE for voice.
81. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
But as anyone with an LTE phone can tell you, battery life will differ whether you have the LTE turned on or off. Just holding the 4G signal takes some juice.
3. remixfa (Posts: 14252; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
if they can live up to those battery claims, thats extremely impressive.. especially given the top end hardware in it.
6. GoodFella (Posts: 112; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Bullet Proof Kevlar Back Side= Amazing Top End Hardware!
24. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4537; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I am very excited. I would love to see this come to Sprint!
With unlimited 4G data, WOW!
77. ap1989 (Posts: 145; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
To Bad this phone is exclusively for verizon.
4. J.Phillips (Posts: 7; Member since: 07 Apr 2011)
Absolutely amazing phone! They specs and hardware destroy all other phones on the market! DROID RAZR>iphone4s all day
7. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Don't even bother with the comparison. The two have next to nothing in common.
15. J.Phillips (Posts: 7; Member since: 07 Apr 2011)
It doesn't matter...the Droid Razr is better all the way!
19. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I can't see anyone cross-shopping the two. The Razr is all sharp angles, big-screen goodness and LTE speed, while the iPhone is small, elegant and stuck on 3G. Why even mention them in the same breath?
27. J.Phillips (Posts: 7; Member since: 07 Apr 2011)
True true! I just wanted to make notice that its way better than the iphone 4s!
34. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
And my point is that it's not better, it's completely different. It's just better for you and me.
91. GoodFella (Posts: 112; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Bottom line roldefol, customers will ask. You see absolutely no comparison (as you are right), but the regular consumers don't. ;-)
5. Tmachaveli (Posts: 425; Member since: 01 Apr 2011)
Thats one badass phone..( hears bionic owners throw there phones in the wall) lol
13. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
And sadly, every Verizon or Radio Shack salesman I spoke to was still pushing the Bionic up until...probably yesterday. I feel sorry for the less informed customers.
39. Brent (Posts: 4; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
Thats why I payed full price at Best Buy for my Bionic, and took it back! Got my Droid X and goddamn do I miss 4G. But, know it's between the Droid Razr or the Droid Prime or what ever it will be called. I'm thinking the Razr now, but will see!
41. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
The Razr appears to be the true spiritual successor to the X.
38. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 864; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
I've been waiting for someone to finally say it. It echoes designs from Nokia (E7, N8, N9). It even has the same look as the new Acer 7" tablet. That's not to say it doesn't look good though. I love that N8 look, but that back is ehh.
9. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
holy jesus....... i can't decide which phone to get now.....
10. tech-head (Posts: 132; Member since: 02 Sep 2011)
That's a nice phone. Dang.....Verizon got a awesome lineup. AT&T's holiday lineup is nonexistent.... :-(
11. hmonv5 (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Im typing this on my bionic and am pretty salty. Verizon beter offer an upgrade for bionic users due to the poor battery life and 3g/4g connection issues unless they are fixed with ics.
12. acoers (Posts: 7; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
yeah im ready to trade my droid 3 in for this, but you know in a month there will be a better phone coming out.
16. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I can see Motorola sticking by the Razr for a while though. They didn't hold a big press conference for the Bionic, but they did hold one for the Droid X last summer and that phone held the top slot at Verizon for 9 months.
14. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Motorola makes very powerful and amazing phones, my only disappointment is that they're on some US Carrier (Verizon, At&t) and they're never unlocked so I never get to buy one of these.
17. Sniggly (Posts: 7227; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
A super thin, super fast high end smartphone with awesome specs, great battery life, AND built to be super durable?! Give this babydoll ICS eventually and it'll be the ULTIMATE Android phone!
Even as it is, this stands to be Motorola's best device ever.
47. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
This is the phone I've been waitting for. I cant wait to hold it in my hands. Best moto phone out in a long long time. Thank God I retuned the Bionic in time
18. Snapdude (Posts: 128; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
tested this device last week, its amazing, i expect big things from this handset but the price is steep :/ 4g battery life was much less than the 12.5 3g time but was not worse than current 4g handsets
53. Sniggly (Posts: 7227; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
if 4G battery life is at least as good as the Bionic, then I think we have a winner on our hands.
60. Snapdude (Posts: 128; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
its slightly better (not by much) but the scrfeen is better than bionic :)
64. Sniggly (Posts: 7227; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Considering the whole point of the Pentile display on the Bionic is to save battery, then I'd say Motorola did some fantastic work on this phone. :)
20. hawk62 (Posts: 320; Member since: 21 Nov 2009)
Is it measured at the thinnest or thickest part? That is the question. The galaxy line had to change their ads in England for not using the thickest part to measure.
21. smdeezy (Posts: 66; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
I love my Photon but damn that's a nice phone.
22. Dwoogs (Posts: 20; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Such a good time to have an upgrade available.
33. Allday28 (Posts: 274; Member since: 19 Nov 2010)
I have one available as well. Couldnt be a better time than right now.. Now the question is Vigor,Razr or Nexus???
36. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I'm leaning toward the Nexus, but will have to hold all three and see which one fits me the best. It is a great time to upgrade. :D
25. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
I guess it's not but if it is, I don't think it's a big of a deal.
26. Mastertwiz (Posts: 15; Member since: 10 Dec 2009)
No. It's Super AMOLED "Advanced". According to Moto, with more vibrant colors than most LCD HD TVs
30. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
AMOLED by definition is more vibrant than LCD, but that doesn't mean it's not PenTile.
78. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I wonder if "Advanced" is just their way of saying qHD.
29. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Super AMOLED Pentile. So same resolution as the Bionic, but I think the PenTile defects are easier to deal with when it's at least an AMOLED screen.
28. Mastertwiz (Posts: 15; Member since: 10 Dec 2009)
I was nearly certain I'd be burning my upgrade on the Galaxy Nexus. At this point, especially considering the compatibility with MotoActive, I might going with the Razr... I did have the flip phone. I loved that thing.
Unanswered question though... Bootloader: Locked or Unlocked???
31. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Motorola has little to gain financially from pleasing the small minority of Android users who care about an unlocked bootloader.
37. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
yeah, motorola has a record of encrypting bootloaders on some of their devices.
35. DROIDX0430 (Posts: 432; Member since: 24 Nov 2010)
OUCH!!!!. Beautiful phone, awesome specs.... A lot of manufacturer's are going to have to step up there game to contend with this baby. The Holiday lineup for VW is going to be great. Razr, Nexus Prime with ICS, HTC with Beats audio---looking real good....I guess I will have to be content with my Bionic....
43. Mastertwiz (Posts: 15; Member since: 10 Dec 2009)
Yeah don't worry. You can upgrade to the Galaxy S3, I'll still be rocking my Droid Razr or Galaxy Nexus
42. gtrxman (Posts: 122; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
I am so on this phone. So much functionality. Encryption. Rugged. No way it doesn't get ICS. Fantastic. Who needs Siri? Nexus Prime needs to absolutely kill for me to consider it.
44. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
The first droid ouside US! Did I just died? Hope It's worth it
45. GALAXY-S (Posts: 701; Member since: 07 Jun 2011)
very nice phone!! only if it was gsm i would get it!
46. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
O_O it's the thinnest phone AND it's LTE!? my god. what the hell is a Galaxy S II?
62. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4537; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Samsung Galaxy S II is over half a year old & it has still a better processor. The Exynos is still just too beast of a chip.
83. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
oh you can bet i remember that but with everything else aside from probably the camera the RAZR is superior and it has a higher clocked OMAP (we still don't even know if it's a 4430 or a 4460) so the trade offs for Exynos are there and don't forget the U.S. is only just now starting to push the Galaxy S II so naturally it'll be pitted up against this.