Motorola DROID Mini outed with Kevlar, slides directly in the compact slot
0. phoneArena 23 Jul 2013, 11:12 posted on
There is a shortage of well-made compact Androids out there, and Motorola DROID Mini comes in to fill that void. Just announced for Verizon, the handset sports, as you can guess, a shorter screen diagonal than its brethren the DROID Ultra and MAXX...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5681; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Motorola fills the compact segment sooo much better than the leading competitors.
cough cough Samsung, cough cough HTC.
2. roldefol (Posts: 3260; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Well, the One mini looks like a pretty damn good phone except for the relatively weak battery. I doubt it's coming to Verizon though. Not when they have a perfectly good Droid mini in the offing.
4. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5681; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, it's okay but i don't think it's nearly this good.
5. seanwhat (Posts: 234; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
one mini isn't even that small though. i'm not even close to putting that in the 'compact' category.
8. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5681; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
...it has a edge to edge 4.3" display same as the Razr M. it's gonna be around the size of an iPhone.
3. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
No joke. It's amazing how their mid range has the same chipset as their flagship, which means the people who buy the mid range device actually get better performance out of it because the same GPU is pushing a lower resolution; a much better alternative to getting a slow down on the One mini and GS4 mini compared to their big brothers. And the bezels are just so small! I used a Razr M for about 10 minutes and I never looked at my GS3 the same.
If Motorola came up with a decent SoC and kept their UI clean, they definitely have a winner.
7. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5681; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
actually what do we know about the displays?
i'm using a Droid Razr M as a temp right now and it's such a great phone, especially running CM10.1. when i get something else i'm gonna give this to my gf.
10. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The Droid Mini has a 4.3" 720p display and the Ultra and Maxx have 5" HD displays of an unknown resolution, most likely 1080p. I also would expect them both to be AMOLED, unless they went with their own ColorBoost technology to keep most of the tech in their devices home grown.
12. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Yeah, every manufacturer tends to have it's own special twist to their OLED panels.
17. ElScorcho (Posts: 21; Member since: 17 Jul 2013)
In PA database you can see that Ultra is said to receive a 720p screen, meaning that all the droids will receive the same hardware.
Only screen size and battery may differ.
11. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Also, did you see the new Circles widget? It's slightly redesigned and looks like it has a little bit more functionality by having some of Motorola's new features integrated into it. It looks a little bit more cluttered to be honest
13. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5681; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, i'm not liking it which is a bummer because it was such a great widget before. :/
16. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3286; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
It turns out the Ultra & MAXX also have 720 screens, so getting better performance out of the Mini is not the case this year whereas it was last year.
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6989; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
how its better when Verizon is the only carrier with the HEFTY battery which everyone cares bout
14. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
This might be a good option for me to look into!!
15. ElScorcho (Posts: 21; Member since: 17 Jul 2013)
They did it!
HD 720p 4.3'' screen on a 121.25x61.30x8.9 mm phone... my dream comes true.
HTC One mini is simply 1cm longer for the same screen size, wider and thicker
S4 mini is low-rez, even slightly bigger and cheap plastic made
Pure Android experience, correct hardware, no need to add more I'll get it day one.