Moto X bamboo back is finally available for $100 extra
0. phoneArena 17 Dec 2013, 20:51 posted on
Just as we expected, the wooden backs are hitting the Moto Maker software right after the last Moto X holiday deals have been claimed. The second holiday deal happened on December 9th, and those that were lucky enough to get a promo code had one week to order their devices, meaning the last orders would have come in yesterday. So, today is when Motorola introduced the first wooden back...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. sarb009 (Posts: 307; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
5 inch bamboo for $100 ? I thinks its too much
16. boosook (Posts: 1424; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Still much less than an iPhone. It's a premium feature, and you get a custom-made (in US) wooden back with a custom inscription, so the price IMO is not so high. Consider that a crappy plastic case can cost $30 or more...
17. troutsy (Posts: 310; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Looks like it sold out. Someone must not think its too much.
2. bradley8795 (Posts: 61; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
You can order with the black front panel btw. It just defaults to white. But it looks like the ring around it is still white unless that's just a glitch in the rendering.
7. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2701; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Yeah, that's what I meant to say. It looks like the edge of the backplate is white, no matter what. I've edited the article for clarity.
4. Jason2k13 (Posts: 1149; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
moto delaying the wooden back cover, and slapping costumers with a $100 price tag, good luck moto.
5. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
It seems to me that in order to make a viable back out of wood, some serious work would need to be put into the material.
If its not worth it to customers, they won't buy it. Plain as that.
14. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Sniggly, we like you more when you aren't drinking the kool-aide.
Asus introduced a line of laptops with bamboo and they didn't charge a $100 premium. If Asus could sell a computing device with bamboo, so should Moto.
One more thing, the size of the bamboo used in the laptop was much larger than the amount of bamboo used in the Moto handset.
15. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Yes, backs of phones and backings for computers are completely the same, aren't they?
6. GeekMovement (Posts: 2143; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Looks great! eh, I'm disappointed about the $100 extra when I heard it was going to be $50 originally, but knowing that the Moto X performs great without the latest specs and the fact that it's $99 now... I guess that puts it back to the original $199 on contract for the wooden. Not too bad for a premium wooden phone. I'm looking forward to seeing what the other wooden backs look like.
8. 14545 (Posts: 1461; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Yeah, be we also heard it was going to be 350 off contract. So It doesn't surprise me. That being said, eek. I can't understand wanting wood on a phone.
9. TreyTreyTaylor (Posts: 610; Member since: 21 Dec 2010)
I love the Moto X even though i have Note 3, but moto has without a doubt ruined the entire Moto X and MotoMaker experience with these problems. Us nerds know how good it is, but the average consumer? $100 extra for a wood back cover? It's almost like they're driving customers away.
10. EnigmaticPsychotic (Posts: 61; Member since: 26 Nov 2013)
Great idea on paper. Horrible in practice.
11. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I thought it was supposed to be $50....man, that reclaimed wood sure is expensive (apparently)
12. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Well, I'm happy with the colors I picked (incidentally, I got my new Moto X tonight!) :D Thanks for the going away present, Best Buy!
13. promise7 (Posts: 869; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Too expensive imo... I feel like Motorola really messed up with the Moto X. First it was too expensive, then the wooden back delay, then the promo delay, now another price mistake with wooden back.
18. chengsae (Posts: 64; Member since: 10 Dec 2013)
Sweet!! This will give me another "wood" in my pants for the ladies