x PhoneArena is looking for new authors! To view all available positions, click here.
  • Home
  • News
  • Mobile browsing shows significant growth at the expense of desktop browsing

Mobile browsing shows significant growth at the expense of desktop browsing

Posted: , by Luis D.

Tags:

Mobile browsing shows significant growth at the expense of desktop browsing
According to web analytics provider StatCounter, in 2013 mobile web browsing's share has grown, for the first time ever, to more than 20% of all global browsing. 21.6%, to be exact, which leaves 78.4% for desktop and laptop PCs. Computer World pointed out that this data represents a 53% annual increase of mobile browsing share, up from 13% in January 2013.

The growth of mobile browsing further resonates with IDC's reports for a disheartening 10.1% decline from last year in 2013 PC sales. Although the PC will remain the definite platform for productivity for the time being, we are pondering a future where the personal computer has become a niche device sought mainly by working professionals and hardcore gamers. For casual computing needs, such as browsing, communication, multimedia, light gaming and document editing, tablets seem to be unscrupulously replacing laptops and desktops left and right. PC manufacturers don't really have to lose from this shift, as long the most popular devices carry their logos. Although, this task is anything but simple in such a saturated market.

For those curious about how the mobile browser landscape looks presently, NetMarketShare (another web analytics firm) states that Safari is still the most popular mobile browser at 55,6% share, with Android's stock browser coming at 25.2% and Microsoft's mobile Internet Explorer at a tiny 1.6%.

11 Comments
  • Options
    Close




posted on 10 Dec 2013, 03:25

1. enthasuium (Posts: 75; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)


Android web traffic should me count as:
Stock Browser+Chrome(preinstalled)+other opera,UC ----i think it will cross more than 50%

posted on 10 Dec 2013, 03:28

2. _Bone_ (Posts: 2126; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)


Is it really significant?

posted on 10 Dec 2013, 05:36 1

5. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 715; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)


It could be a sign of a drastic change in the market for computing devices, so yeah, it is significant

posted on 10 Dec 2013, 03:44

3. Edmund (Posts: 654; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)


lmfao... the web-browsing experience on android doesn't even come close to that of IE11 on Windows tablets. Self proclaimed tech journalists destroyed any chance that the Surface RT and Surface Pro had of becoming successful by publishing product reviews that were at best disingenuous and agenda-driven. By contrast, the same sites blindly praised inferior tablets like the Nexus 7/10 and galaxy tab 3, despite these products offering an awful "user experience".

posted on 10 Dec 2013, 04:33 6

4. Reality_Check (Posts: 269; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)


Lmfao... A new kind of troll !!

posted on 10 Dec 2013, 06:49

7. Edmund (Posts: 654; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)


I like how someone merely pointing out the truth (which i'm sure is rather painful to accept) is immediately considered a troll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBJ1ilHH6U

posted on 10 Dec 2013, 07:52

10. livyatan (Posts: 691; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)


That was a comparison between stock browsers.
Android stock browser pretty much sucks, especially on the nexus 10 which is a dated device, pushing too many pixels with too weak chip compared to surface 2.

Now for example, Dolphin Jetpack on the Snapdragon 800 version of the Note 10.1, will trash the internet experience on the surface 2

posted on 10 Dec 2013, 07:02

8. marbovo (Posts: 643; Member since: 16 May 2013)


I don´t see many people bashing surface pro, the other one is the problem, a OS that has just first party apps is not an OS...

posted on 10 Dec 2013, 07:15 2

9. taikucing (unregistered)


Are you drunk? There are google chrome & Firefox for android. IE sucks since the beginning of time. (That's why people prefer Chrome or Firefox for browsing). The rest of internet users (IE) don't know how to install firefox/chrome to their PC.

posted on 10 Dec 2013, 06:17 1

6. AfterShock (Posts: 2800; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)


This is what MS fears the most.
Loss of dominance in the net world.

If they can't get their mobile up to speed of being wanted by the masses, they stand to be a footnote in mobiles wake.

posted on 10 Dec 2013, 23:10

11. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 185; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)


People can only use one device at a time generally, so there has to be a win and a loser.

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories