Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2014 expectations: Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G Pro 2, Nokia's Android phone and more
0. phoneArena 20 Feb 2014, 03:11 posted on
Mobile World Congress, 2014’s biggest event for portable gadgets, is about to kick off very, very soon, and we have summed up the most exciting devices and services that we expect to see…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Skoms (Posts: 118; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
Samsung Galaxy S5, I like it, Wozniak like it. alot of people like it.
7. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Woz is a fair and smart guy, he likes Android and iOS, he won't bash others.
46. Nokia1100user (Posts: 19; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
thats not going to happen. iPhone and Android both use a Linux kernel, its the reason why many people and devs (including Woz) like them over windows phone. they both have an open source license -although Apple has its own special open source license
24. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Samsung is the best... sony is the best in fu**ing something in their phones... nokia is not a hot thing... motorola is just plain motorola... no wonder S5 is considered next big surprise...
43. amansingal14 (Posts: 309; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
Ahem! Samsung is the best? Nokia is not a hot thing? Moto is just plain Moto?
I may agree about Sony, but the remaining are just pieces of cr**.
1. Samsung - Slowly being caught up by other manufacturers like Sony and LG, with both having surpassed Samsung in the quality of devices, and design. *I'm not saying Samsung's bad at all.*
2. Nokia Icon may not be ergonomic, but it is aesthetically, truly iconic. You won't realise it until at least some time, but the simplicity and quality it gives cannot be surpassed, and for your kind information, simplicity is in.
3. Motorola, is just Motorola, but it sure as hell not plain. It is one of the most innovative players in the industry and truly understands the usability patterns of normmal customers. It has provided certain level of features (not specs) that are useful with specs good enough to run it all smoothly.
Hence sir, your argument is now invalid, howevermuch valid it was in 2011/12.
50. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
haha this guy copy paste all his comments.. like a one trick donkey screaming in one tone.. Samsung is not perfect, Nokia doesnt have Android, worse is owned by Msoft now. Sony is a Japanese company, makes nice phones but no idea how to sell it. I've used all and honestly i couldnt care less which one is better because one min they are good/ great the next min someone else takes over.. dont be a hating, take a chill pill
8. buccob (Posts: 2544; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I somehow have been disappointed in the past... so I am going to assume that the Sirius device will NOT have dual speakers...
The top is the earpiece for phone conversations.... the bottom one is the mic and the speaker is actually the 3 holes at the botom...
Bezels will probably be a tad better but the device will still be huge like the Z1 (but with a slightly larger screen of ~5.2").
Hopefully I am wrong
20. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I too think it won't have dual speakers, but I'm sure it won't disappoint! Sony's smartphones have been great from the start. I think the only drawback has been that Xperia S launched with Android 2.3. Yes, the viewing angles have been bad and I'm glad they have been fixing it (though I don't care but I know that many people do)
I'm expecting Sirius to be a great device and I'm sure Sony won't disappoint me! I'm just still so sad that I won't be getting any new Vaios again... They were (well still are) the best Windows laptops out there!
27. buccob (Posts: 2544; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Yeah I agree... viewing angles does not bother me as much as it do to other people and tech reviewers...
And I currently have the Acro S (Xperia S waterproofed) very happy with it, and only sad because the accelerometer sensor (plus compass/gyro) broke so that limits many apps... but I am glad overall specially with such sturdy construction. Taking several hit to concrete and keeping the phone waterproof still.
I have been disappointed recently with all OEMs because of MHL adoption (I was more in favor of microHDMI) and because of on-screen buttons for phones that do not take advantage of size...
But even with those drawbacks my next phone will probably be Z1 Compact.
Not best Camera, nor best speakers, or performance or whatever... but awesome overall still...
28. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yeah, I'm also getting the z1 Compact for my next phone! Ir's just great overall!
44. amansingal14 (Posts: 309; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
I was hoping the same too, but Sony has not yet announced launch plans for India, so I ended up buying Nexus 5.
39. Amir1 (Posts: 338; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
lol, you guys are funny. sirius is confirmed to have stereo speakers with sound boost. also the insider says its sound is more detailed then htc one sound. also bezel is slightly smaller and the profile is slimmer, and it has 5.2" IPS triluminos. the 3 holes are for one of the mics. it has 3 mics if i remember correct, like nokia lumias. and many more stuff.
40. buccob (Posts: 2544; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
remember that those posts were from the earlier articles...
And actually recent leaks show that Sirius is bigger than Z1, which is also bigger than most 5" screen phones... So not such a good job in the bezels department...
Anyway this will not be the phone for me... I will stick to a more compact form factor...
Hopefully everything else is just like you said: dual speaker, IPS, 3 mics, etc...
3. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
So curious about the future of windows phones.
Sony and Nokia can help Microsoft a lot.
11. Harold1066 (Posts: 19; Member since: 01 Jun 2012)
Definitely, I like having more options. I use to have the HD7S with WP7.5 and the Lumia 920 with WP8. Now I'm using the Lumia 1020 backed up by a Lumia 520.
5. fouadqr (Posts: 326; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
Why Galaxy s5 is soo special to be in the title..-_- ?!!
9. sipha (Posts: 434; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Cause it will sell big!! Maybe even more than the other named devices combine..
12. Harold1066 (Posts: 19; Member since: 01 Jun 2012)
I think Samsung has tempered their own expectations for the S5 since the market in many developed countries are at or near saturation point with regards to high-end smartphones. I think they would be better served to develop their mid-range and low-end device portfolio with better offerings to sell more in developing nations.
47. gabrielvoica (Posts: 65; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
yeah....just like their expectations for the S4,right!?remember those!?
48. sipha (Posts: 434; Member since: 12 May 2012)
You do know the S4 so 40 million phones in 6 months?? o.O Just because it wasn't the 50 million samsung was hoping doesn't make it any less impressive.. & even that 40m is probably more than these other named device will reach in 6months combined!!
49. elitewolverine (Posts: 5172; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
while sale successful many consider it a failure in regards to 'expectations'. But all that is an 'opinion'.
The galaxy line is the bane of my existence in tech support, those and alcatel.
I use a note 3, skipped the s4. Great phone just not, zomg, amazing that I was expecting when moving from my s3. As a side note I also own WP and they get the bulk of my daily work.
22. SayMobile (Posts: 94; Member since: 29 Jan 2014)
Because it is THE Samsung Galaxy S5. Like it or not but it is definatelty the Next Biggest Thing to arrive .Period
23. giffonaay (Posts: 11; Member since: 31 Dec 2013)
Samsung has already reached its saturation point with the note 3 and now their hype in the market is decreasing. This year is going to be different. The winds have started blowing. Sony, LG, HTC are on the way. Samsung will definitely have below expected sales like the S4's.
And i hate the title. Nice favoritism going on there PA
25. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2071; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
You can remove Sony from that list since Sony has already lowered its forecast of the sales of its Xperia devices and you may remove HTC also since they are on track to another quarterly loss.
6. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Things are getting Sirius, Samsung Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z2, LG G Pro 2, HTC One 2, Nokia Lumia 1820, Nokia X...bring it on!
14. Harold1066 (Posts: 19; Member since: 01 Jun 2012)
I'm curious to see what the Nokia X really is. I know what the rumors say, but I am still doubtful on it being an Android device.
19. Beijendorf (Posts: 340; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
It's not strange to expect Nokia-Microsoft to release a low-end Android phone to replace the Asha-line. Android is on the rise in the Asha-buying nations, the skin could accustom people to Windows Phone thus making people willing to try a Windows Phone and Microsoft gets a lot of revenues from Android.
In short, it's a way to limit losses, promote Windows Phone and maximise future profits. Microsoft was never going to continue the Nokia S40 mobile OS.
13. Klamba92 (Posts: 210; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
For a second there I thought the thumbnail of this article was of a shadow of a reaper from mass effect (video game).
Are we so sure we will be getting S5 seems strange why they would go back to MWC?
Interested in the new HTC and Sony flagship! Of course the s5 well be great as well!
35. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
No point spending the extra money in having your own show anymore. Believe it or not, it's not always about marketing.
I am hundred percent positive that the LG G2 event and the HTC event loss money when they could have just used CES or MWC like Sony and Asus and save themselves a lot of money.
Samsung probably wouldn't lose money doing their own show again but they if they can steal the spotlight at MWC, which they most likely will, and at the same time have The MWC association set up everything then why not.
15. Beijendorf (Posts: 340; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Do people still regurgitate the Lumia 1820 rumour?
It was an "anonymous tip" handed over to a terrible blog, and then the story just picked up from there. No reputable source has said anything about an 1820, least of all evleaks who are known to get fed true insider information.
PiCam says their cameras won't be ready until 2015, Windows Phone 8.1 won't be ready until late March or early April, Snap 805 won't be ready until summer and no phone maker so far has a QHD-screen.
Every single clue says the "anonymous rumour to a useless blog" was indeed just an attempt by the blogger to generate more views.
What I think is more realistic is that we'll get the Lumia 929, the Nokia Normandy and possibly even a Lumia 1520V. Don't set yourselves up for disappointment.
16. newbey123 (Posts: 558; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Bring on the beast known has the HTC One!
36. Kyokado (Posts: 115; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Omg are u retarded. Htc one was soooo last year. Like literally, it launched last year. Have u been living under a rock?
29. Khalid_syfullah (Posts: 12; Member since: 08 Dec 2013)
Will Samsung Galaxy S5 have a 2560x1440 pixels WQHD display?
30. pureviewuser (Posts: 494; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
Waiting for nokia 1820 my next smartphone.
32. vedraj (Posts: 75; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
Looking forward to the 50$ moto phone
maybe it'll be called as Motorola Moto C or P
means Cheap And PowerFull
34. Valoni (Posts: 29; Member since: 11 Sep 2013)
I can't wait for Galaxy S5.
Anyone know how much will be the price of the Galaxy S5 in the USA?
37. Kyokado (Posts: 115; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
How about saying how much it will cost around the rest of the world too?
42. Loubielou (Posts: 507; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Will Samsung bring back the F.M radio back on the Galaxy S5?as they let down the S4 with this Function missing
45. rajasasuke (Posts: 17; Member since: 19 Feb 2014)
It will be cool looking a window ui on android aosp
@ android nokia x a110
51. zachattack (Posts: 621; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
Sony, i think, is going to take the cake.