Mobile Competition Part 1: What OS is best for you
0. phoneArena 23 Sep 2011, 12:31 posted on
Part 1 of 2 covering iOS, Android and the smaller competing platforms, the strengths and weaknesses of each, and why you might choose one over another. Part 2 will focus on the overall competition and its effect on the mobile space...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
233. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
I think once the so called Miz starts to comment on this article we might see this article hit 400 comments. . .
234. Whateverman (Posts: 3237; Member since: 17 May 2009)
IDK if taco will have much more to say on this article, remix. I challenged him to prove he is NOT a liar and he's been quite ever since. But I think we could still do it without him.
239. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol, just like i asked him why he calls me a fanboy whenever i disagree with him, but pretends i dont comment when i do.
he may not be as much of a jerk as he once was, but hes still a one sided ibot.. lol
236. HTCiscool (Posts: 449; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
I think the comment record will be broken on October 4th when a massive article is written about the iPhone 4S/5/both. That should gross over 600 comments probably more.
240. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
comments of us laughing at the measily 4s upgrade, or the diehard ibots screaming that its "Teh bezt fonz eva!", or people in the middle mad because they were expecting something more.. yea lets go for it! lol
241. tsets (Posts: 11; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
People one question did i miss peter somewhere?no comments no nothing?
242. dmakun (Posts: 263; Member since: 06 Jun 2011)
Very Nice article indeed. "bookmarked" :-)
243. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
PA needs to impliment a "see only new replies" button in the threads.. especially for when they get this big!! lol.
245. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
there is the chronological view, which helps a lot. but, i have suggested to the editors that we automatically collapse long reply threads, because they are often arguments and people should have the choice of whether to dive into those. on this post there's no reason why the 300+ posts should take up 12 pages. if those taco/WEM threads were collapsed (because i'm sure not many people other than you and me dare read through those) we'd be able to get to more relevant comments easier.
246. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol true.. im sure most people skip a few pages to get right past it.
there needs to be some way of sorting it thats for sure, some of these threads get monsterous. a see only new replies would be great as it would only show what has happened since the last time you visited the page, and not everything thats come before it, so in a case like this where there is 200+posts and 1 new reply, it would only show that 1 reply. much easier! :)
255. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
At the start on the comments there's a way to list comments chronologically. It's the best way I've found of easily seeing new posts
252. snowgator (Posts: 3394; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
How can you NOT read them?? Anytime two or three people put that much work into a thread, it has to be a good time. I could do without all the calling of each other liars, but compared to where we were with people taking cheap shots a couple months back, that is actually really tame. Glad to see Taco, Sniggs and WEM keeping their tempers these days. I actually enjoy MOST of those threads.
254. Whateverman (Posts: 3237; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I try! He doesn't make it very easy you know. JK.
253. Zardoz (unregistered)
Well can still add into the mix the USB features and other stuff that Android (3.1 - ICS) supports, so choose it if you want to:
1) play your favorite arcade games with emulators and Xbox / PS3 controller
2) case: your friend has a mkv file on a pen drive and wants to show that video asap on your device: for fun, imagine the brain storming to display that on an iOS device...you need to find a pc with itunes, convert it to mov with third party applications, adapt it again with Itunes, sync the iDevice, play. At that point I watch that video on the pc directly =)
Android 3.1 or ICS: plug the pen drive on the tablet (let's say eee pad), open the file browser, play the file with VLC or some other video app: 30 seconds and it's done
3) watch live matches from websites and tv series with megavideo, with iOS you have some tv streaming apps - but hardly you can see live matches and megavideo plays flv files.
4) play 1080p youtube videos: youtube mobile does not play 1080p, the website does. However youtube videos on the website are in flash. So, no 1080p youtube on iOS
5) Share your pics via bluetooth
6) Sync your android device through wi-fi. Apple banned a third party wi fi sync from the app store (available on cydia tho ) and announced it as "great news" for iOS 5
7) manage files, zip, unzip, rename, create folders, convert files.
8) Turn your mobile into a usb drive to store stuff
9) SD, microSD
If you don't need any of those features, take an iPhone or iPad
257. bestos.. (unregistered)
you know what I'm going to do that nobody seems to do anymore? I'm going to go into the AT&T store on november 1st with an open mind to any phone/os, even though I have owned all of them before, and decide which combination I like the best. maybe I like the new apple iPhone 5 w/ iOS 5 , the Samsung galaxy s 2 with touchwiz or maybe I like sense 3.0 on the holiday or a different android phone, or maybe I like the feel of the Samsung focus s running mango or I like the taste of mango but on a 4.7" screen on the HTC titan, and just maybe I decide that BB OS 7 feels great with the 3.7" screen and wonderful battery life combined with the great blackberry keyboard on the new BB torch. all I'm saying is that some of you guys go into a store already decided on what manufacturer/OS your going to get without even trying out all the other ones to make sure. like what if you had problems w/ your old android/iOS/BB/WP7 so you don't get that ever again but what if hey fixed it and it would have made you happier than what you actually chose? all I'm saying is have an open mind.
271. Pedro Costa (unregistered)
In my point of view, iOS FTW!
It brings all the apps to me. I have all the control of my phone (unlike you say), but because you don't have anything to control! Like people when get a computer, don't know how to install programs! And even being very easy downloading apps (easier in Android), I can easily find people without any app in iOS or Android.
However, I'd also like to own an Android device. Specially the unpractical SGS II HD. Despite of its unpracticality, I love its screen's res and its 1.5Ghz processor. I'd buy it if I could.
I'm a proud owner of an iPhone 4, and I wouldn't switch it for an Android. Ever! But it's true I'd like to have some few widgets.
Still, non-smartphonefan people don't care. That's why you, people, should think a bit outside the box. Eg. you say everyone owns an Android. But most of them can't buy Apple. And that doesn't mean Android is a bad choice. It means Apple's expensive.