Mobile Competition Part 1: What OS is best for you
0. phoneArena 23 Sep 2011, 12:31 posted on
Part 1 of 2 covering iOS, Android and the smaller competing platforms, the strengths and weaknesses of each, and why you might choose one over another. Part 2 will focus on the overall competition and its effect on the mobile space...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
67. biophone (Posts: 1963; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Remixfa is so a fanboy. I love the guy but his lunacy about ios is insane. I like android as well but he is more of the tmobile fanboy that hates the iphone. He comments about android are good though. He is pretty accurate as well with verizon and at&t. You want an example with him being a fanboy? How about him calling the iphone not a smartphone or him claiming tmobile has superior 4G to verizon. While i am always impartial as i like botb os's. Sorta like michael.
70. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
if your gonna quote me, use sources because your not accurate. :)
the iphone WAS NOT a smartphone when it was launched. It was not a smartphone until iOS3 or 4 when it finally got the basics.. cut n paste, multitasking (no matter how fake..lol), and some security upgrades to its exchange client.. among a few other things.
I say Tmobile's data is on par with VZW. for a while i was saying it was slightly faster.. because it was. When LTE first launched it wasnt getting much better than 7-13mb/s and most of the time less than 10, at the same time Tmo's 21m/s was getting 8-16mb/s. It is now on par to slightly slower since they have both gotten faster since then (Tmo's 42mb/s upgrade in late july and VZW's LTE has been slowly creepin up in speed as well). Of course there are not any 42mb/s phones to test phone to phone on the new network yet, so we will revisit that when the Hercules launches. The speeds I talk about on Tmo, i have posted pics of from devices in my store and my own tablet as evidence. Ive seen the aircards hit very high 20s and even low 30s since the upgrade.
And again, for just about 60% less price than VZW, ill take it. Anything over 10mb/s i cant really see the difference in anyways as its more hardware limited by the phones right now than the internet connection itself.
I love Tmos price and speed. I love VZWs nearly universal coverage in america and speed. Sprints a nice in between on price, with decent speed and coverage. ATT just sucks as they are the most expencive and until LTE launches.. the slowest.
I also like WP7, WP8, and basically anything that gives me a good functionality to price proportion.. which apple does not.
and no peter, i dont want a bada phone.. lol
And you are not impartial. You were Taco's parrot for a good while there..lol.
97. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
iPhone had multitasking on the original iPhone and after. It's just after the app store launched they didn't allow multitasking on 3rd party apps. Native apps have always multitasked on iPhone.
174. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
if your talking about the ability to play music in the background. ya know.. that 1 and only thing it would allow you to do.. and only while doing certain things like play on the internet...
no thats not multitasking.
128. biophone (Posts: 1963; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Its funny how you said i am not accurate about what you said. Then you go and defend the ludacris statements. The iphone was always a smartphone i dont even need to defend that position. Your point about tmos data is irrevalant. Its mostly based on your speed tests and tmo gets great service by you
189. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
bio, that doesnt even make sense..
my point about Tmo's data is irrelevant because it WORKS by me?!?!?! lol. sooo... am i the only person in the country under 42mb/s HSPA+? No.. no im not. So i dont get the point your trying to make.
99. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I agree that you're actually impartial, but anbots don't accept impartial if you say something positive about iOS.
158. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
proving my point, taco says that your impartial. he doesnt think anyone is impartial that doesnt agree with him, as proven time and time again by his posts and responces... not whatever he is about to say in rebuttal to this. He has called Gallito fair handed too. Anyone agree? lol
thanks for helping me taco.
207. biophone (Posts: 1963; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
If i am not impartial that makes me a android and a isheep
222. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
so.. you have to be one or the other huh? cant just have a preference without having to go to idiot fanboy levels. yup, your definately not impartial if you think that..lol
72. justjk (unregistered)
Nice article, Sadly i am one of those who spent alot of money, time, effort, with Android, Loved it at the start, but now that all the new stuff, and seeming like if i don't get the newest update, or the newest new device i will just die! So I have had to accept that I am going to have to be an Apple person, My trip with android was fun, tough, expensive, frustrating, but i hope that as i once did, I will be able to purchase my new iphone 5, and keep it for my 2 years and be happy. Thanks for the article.
108. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3108; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
And apparently I am a SGS2 fanboy. Because I like a great android phone that's free of lag and has a gorgeous huge display with plenty of memory and space.
27. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Michael, if you're not already Editor-in-Chief of PhoneArena, you should be.
47. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you really should have called out gallito. his lunacy has taken over Taco's old spot as top iOS rabbid idiot fanboy. I would say Miz cant take the crown because he pretty much posts the same thing all day. Taco had it because he kept trying to employ "logic" to his arguements and made them worse. Somehow he has given his "logic" to gallito and calmed down a bit in the process. lol
56. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
idea. can we get a "donate an iphone to gallito" program going. maybe he will make more sence if he actually has an iphone. never saw someone try to defend a product so rabbidly that they dont have before.. lol
84. snowgator (Posts: 3598; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Okay, let's face it, and since no one else wants to say it, I will:
1) Yes, Miz is Miz. But, does anyone here really, really think he doesn't do the things he does and say what he says to get under peoples skin? If you take him too seriously, that is your own fault. I personally think it would be a lot more dull around here without him. So long as he keeps the pictures of his name sake fully clothed, I am glad he is here. So there.
2) Say anything you want about Gemini- I have learned a lot from him. And I haven't seen a lot of personal slams from him. He hasn't posted as much as he used too. I think that is a loss.
3) Peter is Peter. Bada is the solution to world hunger and mobile shortcomings. Nuff said. Besides, a lot of people have taken personal shots at him, he has yet to do the same. He has done a ton to get Bada in our mind. How is that bad?
4) Most of the usual suspects who are Android backers are level headed and just give their opinion and call it that: An opinion. What more can you ask?
This is my Mobile gossip home. I enjoy posting, debating, and learning here. I think the writers have gotten better and better. The reviews are top notch. And I wouldn't trade the community for any others. Go read other web sites comments- very rarely are they as knowledgable as the threads on here. I have said all along Phone Arena should cut a check to some of you.
86. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
gemini goes back and forth between informative and rabbid fanboy.
peter is nuts, but i love peter, because hes nuts but at least he is polite. :)
29. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Two things regarding android and multiple cores I would like To mention.
1. For a device to run a dual core processor it must beimplemented in the OS now while this is true its also true that the os must be designed by google to offer the best implementation. Even with that Apps need to be rebuild to work too.
2. The stand over quad core could be somewhat mistaken, there has being a stand about android supporting multiple cores on ICS, not just 2,an example is the ubuntu kernel that supports over 1k cores even if that number is not on Sale for normal users, there Is already a game that supports more that two. Cores so android migh come with support for more than just 2
85. snowgator (Posts: 3598; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
I agree. I do get tired of the dual core argument. Sure, WP could put a dual core in just to have one in. But the OS doesn't support it. For that matter, Android really doesn't either until Ice Cream Sandwich get's unleashed. Gingerbread is running well on them, but it is ICS that will be devloped to take advantage of it. That is why it is important to get a dual core Android now- within 2 years, the update will support it. WP is getting Mango to every existing handset out there. That is a great bonus, even without dual core. Blackberry didn't support older devices with OS7, and these devices running OS7 will not get QNX. That is worth pointing out, that they are not dupported in the future. Not that WP and iOS do not have dual core even when they do support their devices very well.
30. Tmachaveli (Posts: 425; Member since: 01 Apr 2011)
this was a real good article nice job Mike
34. BenCjamin (Posts: 80; Member since: 13 May 2011)
Best objective article i've read from Phonearena! I love the analysis. I can't wait to read part two in this segment.
35. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Awesome article, Michael. I don't agree with every single point mentioned - but it's definitely one of the best if not the best article on PA ever. Just shows how talented you are as a writer and a journalist.
Btw did you hear, taco? An independent person, who is a highly regarded writer and is objective - said that iOS is not better than anything else out there. Oh my god, taco what are you going to do? Surely accuse Michael here of being an Android fanboy, right?
Same applies to Miz, Gallitoking, gemini and many other blind iSheep. YOU WERE WRONG. It's official now. And with Samsung kicking Apple's butt - your blind fanaticism will become more useless than hot air balloons after the invention of the helicopter.
41. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Umm, isn't rubbing the fanboys' noses in it exactly what this article is NOT about? "Nyaaaah you don't win, therefore you LOSE!"
93. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You claim iOS is way inferior to android so what is your point? Typing in all caps doesn't make you right by the way
169. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Yes but that doesn't make you right either. I am fine with that. As long as there remains to be one objective person who can say that iOS is not better than Android - the world is a good place to live in.