Mobile Competition Part 1: What OS is best for you
0. phoneArena 23 Sep 2011, 12:31 posted on
Part 1 of 2 covering iOS, Android and the smaller competing platforms, the strengths and weaknesses of each, and why you might choose one over another. Part 2 will focus on the overall competition and its effect on the mobile space...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
67. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Remixfa is so a fanboy. I love the guy but his lunacy about ios is insane. I like android as well but he is more of the tmobile fanboy that hates the iphone. He comments about android are good though. He is pretty accurate as well with verizon and at&t. You want an example with him being a fanboy? How about him calling the iphone not a smartphone or him claiming tmobile has superior 4G to verizon. While i am always impartial as i like botb os's. Sorta like michael.
70. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
if your gonna quote me, use sources because your not accurate. :)
the iphone WAS NOT a smartphone when it was launched. It was not a smartphone until iOS3 or 4 when it finally got the basics.. cut n paste, multitasking (no matter how fake..lol), and some security upgrades to its exchange client.. among a few other things.
I say Tmobile's data is on par with VZW. for a while i was saying it was slightly faster.. because it was. When LTE first launched it wasnt getting much better than 7-13mb/s and most of the time less than 10, at the same time Tmo's 21m/s was getting 8-16mb/s. It is now on par to slightly slower since they have both gotten faster since then (Tmo's 42mb/s upgrade in late july and VZW's LTE has been slowly creepin up in speed as well). Of course there are not any 42mb/s phones to test phone to phone on the new network yet, so we will revisit that when the Hercules launches. The speeds I talk about on Tmo, i have posted pics of from devices in my store and my own tablet as evidence. Ive seen the aircards hit very high 20s and even low 30s since the upgrade.
And again, for just about 60% less price than VZW, ill take it. Anything over 10mb/s i cant really see the difference in anyways as its more hardware limited by the phones right now than the internet connection itself.
I love Tmos price and speed. I love VZWs nearly universal coverage in america and speed. Sprints a nice in between on price, with decent speed and coverage. ATT just sucks as they are the most expencive and until LTE launches.. the slowest.
I also like WP7, WP8, and basically anything that gives me a good functionality to price proportion.. which apple does not.
and no peter, i dont want a bada phone.. lol
And you are not impartial. You were Taco's parrot for a good while there..lol.
97. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
iPhone had multitasking on the original iPhone and after. It's just after the app store launched they didn't allow multitasking on 3rd party apps. Native apps have always multitasked on iPhone.
174. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
if your talking about the ability to play music in the background. ya know.. that 1 and only thing it would allow you to do.. and only while doing certain things like play on the internet...
no thats not multitasking.
128. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Its funny how you said i am not accurate about what you said. Then you go and defend the ludacris statements. The iphone was always a smartphone i dont even need to defend that position. Your point about tmos data is irrevalant. Its mostly based on your speed tests and tmo gets great service by you
189. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
bio, that doesnt even make sense..
my point about Tmo's data is irrelevant because it WORKS by me?!?!?! lol. sooo... am i the only person in the country under 42mb/s HSPA+? No.. no im not. So i dont get the point your trying to make.
82. Heatfan316 (Posts: 556; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
@ biophone, remix is right about the iPhone not being a true smartphone when
it first launched in 07 it was a high priced feature phone that's a fact.
99. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I agree that you're actually impartial, but anbots don't accept impartial if you say something positive about iOS.
158. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
proving my point, taco says that your impartial. he doesnt think anyone is impartial that doesnt agree with him, as proven time and time again by his posts and responces... not whatever he is about to say in rebuttal to this. He has called Gallito fair handed too. Anyone agree? lol
thanks for helping me taco.
207. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
If i am not impartial that makes me a android and a isheep
222. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
so.. you have to be one or the other huh? cant just have a preference without having to go to idiot fanboy levels. yup, your definately not impartial if you think that..lol
72. justjk (unregistered)
Nice article, Sadly i am one of those who spent alot of money, time, effort, with Android, Loved it at the start, but now that all the new stuff, and seeming like if i don't get the newest update, or the newest new device i will just die! So I have had to accept that I am going to have to be an Apple person, My trip with android was fun, tough, expensive, frustrating, but i hope that as i once did, I will be able to purchase my new iphone 5, and keep it for my 2 years and be happy. Thanks for the article.
108. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3099; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
And apparently I am a SGS2 fanboy. Because I like a great android phone that's free of lag and has a gorgeous huge display with plenty of memory and space.
27. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Michael, if you're not already Editor-in-Chief of PhoneArena, you should be.
47. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you really should have called out gallito. his lunacy has taken over Taco's old spot as top iOS rabbid idiot fanboy. I would say Miz cant take the crown because he pretty much posts the same thing all day. Taco had it because he kept trying to employ "logic" to his arguements and made them worse. Somehow he has given his "logic" to gallito and calmed down a bit in the process. lol
56. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
idea. can we get a "donate an iphone to gallito" program going. maybe he will make more sence if he actually has an iphone. never saw someone try to defend a product so rabbidly that they dont have before.. lol
84. snowgator (Posts: 3504; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Okay, let's face it, and since no one else wants to say it, I will:
1) Yes, Miz is Miz. But, does anyone here really, really think he doesn't do the things he does and say what he says to get under peoples skin? If you take him too seriously, that is your own fault. I personally think it would be a lot more dull around here without him. So long as he keeps the pictures of his name sake fully clothed, I am glad he is here. So there.
2) Say anything you want about Gemini- I have learned a lot from him. And I haven't seen a lot of personal slams from him. He hasn't posted as much as he used too. I think that is a loss.
3) Peter is Peter. Bada is the solution to world hunger and mobile shortcomings. Nuff said. Besides, a lot of people have taken personal shots at him, he has yet to do the same. He has done a ton to get Bada in our mind. How is that bad?
4) Most of the usual suspects who are Android backers are level headed and just give their opinion and call it that: An opinion. What more can you ask?
This is my Mobile gossip home. I enjoy posting, debating, and learning here. I think the writers have gotten better and better. The reviews are top notch. And I wouldn't trade the community for any others. Go read other web sites comments- very rarely are they as knowledgable as the threads on here. I have said all along Phone Arena should cut a check to some of you.
86. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
gemini goes back and forth between informative and rabbid fanboy.
peter is nuts, but i love peter, because hes nuts but at least he is polite. :)
29. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Two things regarding android and multiple cores I would like To mention.
1. For a device to run a dual core processor it must beimplemented in the OS now while this is true its also true that the os must be designed by google to offer the best implementation. Even with that Apps need to be rebuild to work too.
2. The stand over quad core could be somewhat mistaken, there has being a stand about android supporting multiple cores on ICS, not just 2,an example is the ubuntu kernel that supports over 1k cores even if that number is not on Sale for normal users, there Is already a game that supports more that two. Cores so android migh come with support for more than just 2
85. snowgator (Posts: 3504; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
I agree. I do get tired of the dual core argument. Sure, WP could put a dual core in just to have one in. But the OS doesn't support it. For that matter, Android really doesn't either until Ice Cream Sandwich get's unleashed. Gingerbread is running well on them, but it is ICS that will be devloped to take advantage of it. That is why it is important to get a dual core Android now- within 2 years, the update will support it. WP is getting Mango to every existing handset out there. That is a great bonus, even without dual core. Blackberry didn't support older devices with OS7, and these devices running OS7 will not get QNX. That is worth pointing out, that they are not dupported in the future. Not that WP and iOS do not have dual core even when they do support their devices very well.
30. Tmachaveli (Posts: 425; Member since: 01 Apr 2011)
this was a real good article nice job Mike
34. BenCjamin (Posts: 80; Member since: 13 May 2011)
Best objective article i've read from Phonearena! I love the analysis. I can't wait to read part two in this segment.
35. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Awesome article, Michael. I don't agree with every single point mentioned - but it's definitely one of the best if not the best article on PA ever. Just shows how talented you are as a writer and a journalist.
Btw did you hear, taco? An independent person, who is a highly regarded writer and is objective - said that iOS is not better than anything else out there. Oh my god, taco what are you going to do? Surely accuse Michael here of being an Android fanboy, right?
Same applies to Miz, Gallitoking, gemini and many other blind iSheep. YOU WERE WRONG. It's official now. And with Samsung kicking Apple's butt - your blind fanaticism will become more useless than hot air balloons after the invention of the helicopter.
41. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Umm, isn't rubbing the fanboys' noses in it exactly what this article is NOT about? "Nyaaaah you don't win, therefore you LOSE!"
93. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You claim iOS is way inferior to android so what is your point? Typing in all caps doesn't make you right by the way
169. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Yes but that doesn't make you right either. I am fine with that. As long as there remains to be one objective person who can say that iOS is not better than Android - the world is a good place to live in.
37. dara (unregistered)
P.A., you've just became my favourite site about mobitels :)
Oh and yeah I agree with sniggly lol.
39. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
lol...the Usual Suspects are famous!! Was kinda weird seeing them all mentioned in an article..lol
53. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
were one big happy family! :) lol... ok.. more like kissing cousins, but still.. lolol
40. prabh (unregistered)
SYMBIAN is the BEST Bcoz it gives us smartphone experience when ANDROID iOS was not born..
43. GALAXY-S (Posts: 701; Member since: 07 Jun 2011)
very nice article! I really enjoy reading about all the point of views mentioned! I Actually agree with all of them, and yea every OS has its flaws there is no perfect OS...
with that said i guess the rest is just left to pure opinion and needs!!
Due to my needs and opinions i think android is the best OS and has plenty of room to become alot better and maybe even perfect soon!
45. dacastrator (Posts: 232; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Sure Os's have their own flaws and advantages and disadvantages against one another but lets let the numbers do the talking and see who is the best.
57. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Yeah, we'll get into that argument next time...
65. ayephoner (Posts: 849; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
too many statistics and too many ways to spin them.
i'd much rather see more like this. as many have already posted, this was a great write up. well done.
could we get a similar work as the new devices are rolling out? ios5 and ICS will both bring new features to the landscape.
thanks again michael
78. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Maybe when they are released because we know as much about ics as we know about the iphone 5, mostly rumors
94. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
depends which number you look at. Marketshare android. Profit, customer satisfaction and manufacturer sales Apple.
260. jroc74 (Posts: 5732; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I know most dont wanna agree with this....but you are right. IMO Google and Apple have 2 different goals. And they're both accomplishing their goals.
Yea Apple used to talk about market share before Android came out....but I would care less if I was Apple as long as the profits keep piling up.
48. gargoyle (Posts: 14; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
i am a android fan but i like apple also, i personally jut bout a android phone and looking at whats out in the market right now there is no way i would by the iphone, now that does not mean that the iphone is bad it just means its out of date right this second. when the new iphone comes out (whether it is iphone 5 or 4s) then i will be happy to say the apple iphone is worth it to buy. The products apple puts out there are nice but in the market thats going on right now there loosing in specs (mostly screen size). people have been noticing more and more the bigger screens and how nice it is when trying to type or view websites. i agree the that the iphone 4 has a nice screen but it is small compared to most standard high end android phones coming out right now. most people when looking at specs these days only glance at the processor and ram, the camera is something to look at but its not a deal breaker. its the screen that i have notice most people looking at, and size is making the difference, we will see what apple comes out with to see if they can stay up in the market if they come out with at least a 4inch screen i would be happy to use one but 3.5 is just to small especially for reading books, or trolling the websites.
52. droidguy2323 (Posts: 55; Member since: 23 Sep 2011)
I JUST GOT A DROID CHARGE WHILE I'M PULLING DOWN 28 MBS W/ 9.7 UP. I FIND MY PHONE SHUTTING DOWN AND FORCE CLOSING LEFT AND RIGHT. I LOVE SUPER AM PLUS AND THE SCREEN SIZE. BUT I AM CONSIDERING LEAVING THIS FOR AN IPHONE 4/4S/5 OR BIONIC
54. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
first thing is first. root the thing and put on better software from XDA. problem will probably be solved.
samsung = great hardware..... not so great software.
thankfully they give XDA lots of love so the community always has great fixes out there.
60. Commentator (Posts: 3388; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Samsung has great internal hardware, but it's build quality still has a lot to be desired, especially compared to Moto and HTC, at least in my opinion. I just prefer a phone that doesn't feel like it will snap into two pieces in my hand.
62. dacastrator (Posts: 232; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Exactly, Samsung's hardware design is a crap. Yeah it's thin and light and but feels fragile.
109. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3099; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Sad that Motorola and now even HTC aren't going to be using metal in their devices but are made of plastic. My Epic 4G Touch feels great in hand and feels durable despite it being thin and light.
63. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
build quality on an SGS phone is top notch. perception and reality arent always the same. plastic is more resilliant than metal. ive dropped, thrown, and a dozen other things to my galaxyS and it doesnt even have a scratch on it after over a year of abuse.
68. GALAXY-S (Posts: 701; Member since: 07 Jun 2011)
i can second that! these phones may look a bit weak but they are def not! mine was also dropped a couple of times and it always resisted, i accidently dropped an htc evo 4g and it soon started bleeding light from the bottom of the screen before the buttons,, def love samsung harware
110. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3099; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Exactly. My friend's Thunderbolt has a huge crack on the screen from dropping it once, it has a huge dent on the left lower side corner as well. lol then you have people who have had the original SG and not even a scratch on them. They don't realize that metal can put a harder impact on devices thus making them break from the inside.
66. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
great article.. Michael !! congrats... keep up the good work...
69. umpaluma (unregistered)
Nice, author of this post do not know what is android fragmentation...
an other thing you should have looked at: ofcourse there is no "best" OS, becoseu needs is so different for each of us, but there is "Best in market" OS. And from what i read here, it seems like you like that OS best.... (the iOS i ment)
P.S. i personally would like iOS better, if only when i buy devices i would not have to pay those 100 or 200 $ for the half eaten apple logo..... that logo kills the whole product line and its OS...
73. Mooooo (Posts: 212; Member since: 27 Aug 2011)
I encourage the competition. Let these companies push the envelope we will benefit from this. I hope more jump in Bada or anything else more the better.
Right now its Android for me. I used to be a Nokia guy. Tried blackberry and it was not for me. Tried iPhone it was decent phone but again not for me. Android fits me right now.
Microsoft seems to be making good inroads and maybe something to pay attention too soon. However at the moment its Android for me and the market has spoken. That can always change and sometimes change is good even though its uncomfortable but it helps us grow.
171. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
I'm with you here mate. . . I'm a Nokia guy until I saw an Android phone being reviewed in this site. . . that opened my mind that Symbian sadly sucks (at the moment)
75. Whateverman (Posts: 3242; Member since: 17 May 2009)
@ Michael, your writing as of late has been on par with the old Snoop Dogg! You know the Snoop Dogg when he was with Dr. Dre on the "Chronic" and "Doggystyle" albums. You are on FIRE right now! Probably not a bad time to ask PA for a raise based on your number of comments per article. JK. Anyway, really good read, keep it up!
@ biophone. Not sure if remixfa shares my views, but I was the one that never considered the iPhone to be a true smartphone. I made that statement a few times and caused a bit of tension between myself and a few iOS fans. If Apple ever allows third party app stores or side loading of third party apps without the need for iTunes, I would gladly change my tune. But until then, the iPhone is still just a very, very high end and over priced feature phone.
80. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Thanks! I'll try to keep it up. This is the first time my skills have been likened to an in-his-prime Snoop, but I honestly hope it isn't the last.
87. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
but doctor dre says.. he aint said nuthin cuz hes locked in my basement!