Mobile Competition Part 1: What OS is best for you
0. phoneArena posted on 23 Sep 2011, 12:31
Part 1 of 2 covering iOS, Android and the smaller competing platforms, the strengths and weaknesses of each, and why you might choose one over another. Part 2 will focus on the overall competition and its effect on the mobile space...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. box (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:26 21 1
A well written and objective article. Kudos! I'll actually bookmark this for future reference when I'm telling friends and family to do research.
13. Life (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:46 8 6
WindowsPhone will rule the market one day, they are taking the right steps.
33. waitingmuch (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:14 4 1
but they are taking much time to launch their product.
36. ayephoner posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:29 7 0
they are following apple's lead and trying to offer a bit more unity between their pc os and mobile os. they are actually taking it a step further. it really is genius. if they can make pcs look like windows phones and vice versa, everyone on earth will be comfortable with them and know how to use them.
228. h8stylist (unregistered) posted on 25 Sep 2011, 00:07 1 0
you are putting a bit too much faith in the average pc user. there are people out there that if you tell them to go to the start menu, they will ask "where's that?", and they number far more than most think. try working in tech support or even asking someone in tech support sometime lol.
256. chirole posted on 25 Sep 2011, 23:52 0 0
and there are people like big time business people who still requests that their newly bought PC be switched to XP. Even though they have iPads and all so yeah
248. idiotwind13 posted on 25 Sep 2011, 17:48 0 0
Totally agree, this is pretty much right on all counts. Really good job.
264. scape (unregistered) posted on 27 Sep 2011, 08:10 0 0
well written, except for the grammatical errors...
2. Problacklist.One posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:26 12 18
The Fact That Android Is Growing Everyday and More Stuff you can Do Without Rooting it While For iPhone you have to Jailbreak to Get access to Tethering without paying. Plus iOS 5 is a copy of Android UI just Says it All Anroid Rules iPhone Drools. And You can Do More Customization than an iPhone. Don't get Me Wrong I love apple Products Except iPhone
14. tekkie79 posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:47 4 7
Tethering without paying for the necessary plan is against your terms and agreements. If you want to tether, call your carrier and have the option added.
58. dacastrator posted on 23 Sep 2011, 12:31 11 1
Tethering is a feature that is 'built in' to the Android platform. American carriers are soooooo greedy to put up an extra fee just to use it. Its like you already bought a Baconator and still have to pay extra just to eat it. Makes no sense.
134. bert2662 (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 21:45 4 0
Well I think just greedy America carrier charge for tethering. For other countries, tethering is definitely free..
186. Nofan (unregistered) posted on 24 Sep 2011, 10:30 0 7
Then go live there and enjoy worse conditions then you are subjected to here. I think the tradeoffs are much more in the American favor.
218. donpeppino9 posted on 24 Sep 2011, 20:11 4 0
what makes you think that living in america gives you the best living conditions? something tells me you are a typical american who is ignorant to anything that is foreign to the us and has never been outside of US borders.
i'm an american, but an open minded one. i've seen many countries. the best place to live is like this OS arguement. it all depends on what you're preferences are.
268. jesiboi posted on 28 Sep 2011, 12:03 0 0
yes it is.
249. idiotwind13 posted on 25 Sep 2011, 17:52 0 0
The article itself pretty much says exactly what you did as far as Android's advantages over iOS. That is not the point, the point is that many people will prefer one or the other because the things that are pros about one are very important to them and the cons are not. Being a complete fanboy and saying that either one is superior is moronic, every person will have a different preference. That was the entire point of the article, there is no superior OS, only an OS that is superior for your own needs.
4. hepresearch (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:31 13 1
PhoneArena gets a +1 from me for tackling a tough issue with truth and wisdom in the face of the "Fanboy Wars"... Thank you, thank you, thank you!
59. MichaelHeller posted on 23 Sep 2011, 12:33 10 0
You're welcome! And thanks for reading, and especially for the sharing (we have an awesome engaged community here, but sometimes they forget to share the link).
7. hepresearch (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:33 0 0
71. Mahmoud abaza (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 14:08 0 0
I didn't read all the article but when I read your comment I didn't believe and I searched for him by (ctrl+f) LOL
8. hunted posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:41 0 0
haha peter just at least now know about your bada!!
18. PeterBada (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:51 2 0
LOL peter|fromsweden. He has invested a lot in bad................a!
9. roldefol posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:42 6 0
This is probably the best article on the mobile landscape I've ever read. It expounds on everything I've been trying to tell people here: there is no best device/OS, so quit the pointless bickering and just enjoy your chosen device!
38. roldefol posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:40 2 1
I think a better question is why Apple is the Droid and Android is the Jedi knight. Talk about a mixed metaphor!
81. MichaelHeller posted on 23 Sep 2011, 15:59 1 0
I assumed it was an issue with autocorrect rather than an actual language mistake.
90. Alantef posted on 23 Sep 2011, 17:39 4 0
yea i typed it out and my phone changed it and i'm just now seeing my mistake lol and for the record lightsaber!!!!!
183. bobfreking55 posted on 24 Sep 2011, 08:17 1 0
because even 4 sabers cant match our weapons.
201. Berzerk000 posted on 24 Sep 2011, 14:15 1 0
Because they need 4 to keep up with Android ;) And its light sabers...but thats ok, I thought it was lifesavers too once :P
11. Muhannad posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:45 8 0
I love Phone Arena! Thank you for clarifying what iOS really is. I'd like a mobile version of Phone Arena or an Android app.
17. Sniggly posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:50 11 3
Great article, Michael. I loved the balanced nature and the little winking aside to us kiddies here battling in the flame wars. :)
Oh, er, wait, WHAT DO YOU MEAN ANDROID ISN'T THE BEST EVAR?!?! YOU MUST HAVE BEEN CAPTURED AND BRAINWASHED BY DARKSTEVE ON APPLEOKOLIPS! WHAT, NEXT YOU'LL BE ONE OF HIS FURIES?! BAD MICHAEL, BAD! AND THE REST OF YOU IFANBOYS SUCK MORE THAN A BLACK HOLE!!! *rage rage rage*
21. hepresearch (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:54 6 0
L... O... L...
WHAT DO YOU MEAN SYMBIAN IS LOSING SHARE?! SYMBIAN IS SO AWESME EVRYBDY NEEEDS A NOKIA PHONE CUZ... aw forget it, I give up...
42. remixfa posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:48 6 1
darn you.. you beat me to my fandroid rage of teh lolz!!!!
Its nice to get a shout out for our contributions... lolol
side note, I obviously prefer google, but i do defend any OS against accuracies that i see..
well, exept for that one OS.. oh what was it.. umm.. the one peter loves but doesnt really exist.. um... errr.. lol
19. Stoli89 posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:53 2 0
Can't believe you give more praise to Bada than Symbian Belle. Oh, that's right...Symbian is in decline...from what share again?
20. hunted posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:53 0 0
MS will need to push their OS to everyone. I'm planning to change my symbian and have a plan to buy arc. Once it is enough old i'll buy wp7
22. DMan (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:55 0 9
One thing is pretty clear in this article. Who are the blind fanboys.
Apple -> 2 Fanboys mentioned
Bada -> 1 Fanboy mentioned
Android -> 0 Fanboys mentioned
23. protozeloz posted on 23 Sep 2011, 10:58 5 0
Eh no maybe it's just android fans are so many to be mentioned
25. DMan (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:03 1 0
Well, I read a lot of comments here at PhoneArena.
You do see one or another Android fanboy here and there. But none in the same level as The Miz who is on every article posting and trolling about Apple. (Taco is much more reasonable lately).
That is why when you say Android Fanboy (at least here on phonearena), no one specifically comes to mind.
24. MichaelHeller posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:02 6 1
sorry about that, edited to call out Sniggly and remixfa, though I could always toss in protozeloz for good measure
26. DMan (unregistered) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:05 3 0
That´s true, forgot about him.
But in my opinion Sniggly and remixfa don´t go directly to the real fanboys kind because they actually try to use arguments.
28. MichaelHeller posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:09 3 0
That's kind of why I left them out at first, because they aren't exactly fanboys, but they are the most fervent defenders of Android, so they get the call.
44. remixfa posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:51 7 2
lol, i am a defender of logic and accuracy, regardless of platform! It just so happens that we spend so much time arguing against rabbid fanboys from iOS and.... umm.... that one platform that peter keeps telling me is real..... that we end up having to correct inaccurate anti-google statements all day..
46. MichaelHeller posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:53 5 1
That's why I love you. Logic, accuracy and rationality FTW!
51. remixfa posted on 23 Sep 2011, 12:10 4 1
naw, hell no, i love it. :)
55. remixfa posted on 23 Sep 2011, 12:18 3 1
ha, there goes accuracy, i clicked on the wrong reply!!! lolololol
this was actually ment for #49, asking if i wanted to be removed from mention..
91. taco50 (banned) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 18:10 2 4
Michael good article overall, but to say remix has logic and accuracy makes you lose credibility. Like bio said he claims t-mobile is faster than VZW lte and also makes outlandish claims about the iPhone on a regular basis. When speaking strictly about android then he's pretty reasonable, but he's definitely a huge fanboy.
229. E.N. posted on 25 Sep 2011, 00:18 0 3
Yeah I'm not going to sugar-coat it. It does make you lose credibility because they are very much fanboys. And Michael it makes you look like a fanboy too because you can't see that they are fanboys! lol. I've never seen a writer kiss so much ass in my life! My gawd. Its entertaining and sickening all at the same time.
Remixfa, you don't always comment with logic and accuracy. That's bull****, haha. You always inject your negativity whenever anything good about Apple is reported.And I don't want to get into another argument of whether or not the iPhone is a smartphone, but believing so strongly that the iPhone wasn't a smartphone is a perfect example of your fanboyism. Along with the people who review smartphones for a living, I bet even the CEOs of Google, HTC, and your best friend Sammy would say that iPhone is and was a smartphone.
237. remixfa posted on 25 Sep 2011, 07:56 0 1
sure, if you bend the rules of a smartphone and take out most features that other smartphones had when the iphone launched, was it a smartphone.
sorry but i dont believe in dumbing down standards to fit more people. If it doesnt have smartphone features, its not a smartphone.
And if u actually read anything ive written, i also said android wasnt a smartphone when it launched either... so how does that make me an android fanboy exactly???
you ibots are like the sith.. if your not with you, your against you.. there is no room for actual thinking people, which is why i could never be like you.
49. MichaelHeller posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:55 1 1
PS, would you prefer I remove your name from the list?
96. taco50 (banned) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 18:19 1 2
you defend android against fanboys on Apple articles all day lol. When have you ever defended Apple?
157. remixfa posted on 24 Sep 2011, 00:11 0 1
maybe u should actually read my comments instead of just blindly replying to them. Ive agreed with you probably 4 times this week. I defend any OS against inaccuracies. I dont have a vested interest in any of them as i dont own any stocks. They dont pay me, they dont own me, and they dont control me. Unlike "AHEM" some people, if you actually read through my comments, you will see I'll go after anything I think is inaccurate on any side.
its not my fault that your track record is mostly wrong.
50. Sniggly posted on 23 Sep 2011, 11:57 4 1
It is flattering that you chose to edit a shoutout to us in the article. Thank you, Michael. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Now come over here and stroke my ego some more. ;) *purr purr*
98. taco50 (banned) posted on 23 Sep 2011, 18:21 0 6
can you get anymore ***?
100. Sniggly posted on 23 Sep 2011, 18:33 4 0
Lol, you're such a thug, Taco. You insult me for being a geek, you use a "g..ay" insult...what jock stereotype DON'T you fit in?