Microsoft's updated Windows Phone YouTube app won't address all of Google's concerns
But later on Wednesday, a new version of the YouTube app will be available for Windows Phone users with two-thirds of Google's concerns addressed. While Microsoft says that it has no objections to playing ads before running YouTube videos, the update still does not allow YouTube ads to run on Windows Phone devices. The two problems fixed by Wednesday's update will prevent videos from being downloaded onto a device, and will restrict videos that were not set up for mobile play, from being viewed.
Today happens to be the deadline given by Google to Microsoft to take down the app, but Microsoft's new update will replace it by the time Wednesday is over. Will Google complain and threaten to remove the new app once more? We are keeping our nose to the ground and will update you when anything new develops.
source: TheVerge via Phonescoop
1. papss (Posts: 2879; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
These two always butting heads, M$ stop playing games and Google make the damn app for WP8
14. sharks (Posts: 160; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
"the update still does not allow YouTube ads to run on Windows Phone devices." -this says it all about a renewed battle between these two giants. However, i have to say that Microsoft is playing a very dangerous game. Google owns Youtube, literally. MS can't expect to be the exception to the universal rules set down by Google for Youtube users across all types of devices. Oh, and Google owes MS no Youtube app, if it doesn't want to. MS is just yanking Google's chain for some attention to boost its own WP platform. If i were Google, i would kick MS' ass down the curb for being a dirty player.
20. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 944; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Perhaps it's time the government cracked down on the illegal pirated content being streamed from Youtube. Problem solved*
41. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 753; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Urban, when has government intervention EVER solved anything for the tech community. If anything they'll just put them through a long court battle and try to find a way to throw in a YouTube tax.
26. ArtSim98 (Posts: 832; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I would kick Google's ass for being unfair to it's competitors. Youtube is a program that everyone should be allowed to use freely!
39. tokuzumi (Posts: 108; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
Google owns YouTube, and therefore, makes the rules. It is open for the most part. Google makes money on ad revenue. If someone does something to work around this, Google has a right to step in, and block this attempt. iOS doesn't seem to have this issue. Android doesn't have this issue. This represents almost all mobile users. Microsoft has smart developers. They can most certainly figure it out.
42. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 753; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
And you can ArtSim, If you follow the rules. They are simple rules protecting Googles profit and the users uploaded content. If MS doesn't like it they can go BING themselves.
15. taikucing (unregistered)
stop scroogling & bad campaigning google
27. jromy (Posts: 110; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
The fact that you just used the term "scroogling" is proof of all the s**t MS has been saying about Google, and they still expect them to go out of their way to make an app for them! What a bunch of douchbags...
17. SuperNexus (Posts: 111; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
you read my mind here, I was about to say same thing....
2. ahhxd717 (Posts: 297; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
I think Microsoft stated that Google won't provide them certain APIs that allow ads in the app, so if that's true, Google just needs to cooperate or make the app itself for WP. The two companies just need to suck up their pride and move on and fix this.
4. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 944; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Why is Google complaining? 99 percent of Youtube's online content is illegal pirated material anyway...
To explain this point further: if you download copyrighted material, via bit-torrent, then you're considered to be a thief. However, if your company name is Google and you allow people to upload the same material and then stream it from your site (whilst generating revenue from advertising), then it's called popular net culture.
7. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4579; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Using your logic the same thing could be said and about Microsoft.
35. sks1969 (Posts: 41; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)
both are trying to screw the customer, so let them screw us in fair way :(
43. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 753; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
And may ask where you got this statistic Urban? Please enlighten me
5. clevername (Posts: 1401; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Still haven't seen the update... Don't plan on updating when I do.
6. papss (Posts: 2879; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
They said it was going to be blocked regardless if you update or not
24. clevername (Posts: 1401; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
thought id see if that was actually the case, and as of right now, i can still download. dont see how they can block downloads if i still have access to the videos. not without an update i mean
8. Credo (Posts: 657; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Google was/is nothing without Microsoft, so coo-operate with daddy!
12. Hemlocke (unregistered)
Time for Larry to back up his words, already, don't you think?
"Every story I read about Google is about us versus some other company, or something else, and I really don't find that interesting. We should be building things that don't exist,"
Of course, they may be focusing on their new 3D Maps, which completely suck and don't work on mobile. Where is the outrage and laughter that was directed at Apple Maps, when they debuted on mobile, and are clearly way ahead of Google's desktop browser-based 3D maps?
18. Jayzee (Posts: 19; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
Google is it really hard to make an App for Windows Phone ? Just make the Damn app and then your fight with MS is over.
19. GalaxyXperiaOptimusDroid (Posts: 13; Member since: 10 May 2013)
Google should sue them! Dont give wp instagram and youtube! Or WP would have a bigger chance of competition. They should choke wp with lack of google services.
21. Jayzee (Posts: 19; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
Microsoft is giving their Services (Outlook and Skyrive) to Android and iOS and then Google will not make their services to WP ? That is somewhat unfair
22. GalaxyXperiaOptimusDroid (Posts: 13; Member since: 10 May 2013)
Thats what you call bussines.
25. clevername (Posts: 1401; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
thats what yyou call stifling competition. that stifles innovation.
29. jromy (Posts: 110; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
Who uses outlook or skydrive on android or iOS? The only reason i use Outlook is because it used to be hotmail (which was my first e-mail)
40. Jayzee (Posts: 19; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
LoL I use Skydrive on my Skydrive. I save all of my pics on my skydrive too so I can get my files from my ACE 2 WITHOUT USING ANY USB Connector :) I also use Google Drive because I only have 512 MB left on my skydrive
31. SleepingOz (Posts: 2377; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
The reason why MS provided these apps is because they didn't want their users to leave for gmail. But funny fact is that most of them left anyway. lol
28. freebee269 (Posts: 486; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
this article doesnt tell the whole story (which doesnt surprise me coming from a phonearena article about MS vs. google). google WILL NOT give the API's to micrososft to put adds in their app. so, the reason why the third issue isnt resolved is because google themselves arent allowing it to be resolved. i expect when i read an article that it has all the facts, not just the ones that make the article seem one sided. guess i'm expecting too much.
30. freebee269 (Posts: 486; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
this was microsofts response to google cease and desist letter about the youtube app "YouTube is consistently one of the top apps downloaded by smartphone users on all platforms, but Google has refused to work with us to develop an app on par with other platforms. Since we updated the YouTube app to ensure our mutual customers a similar YouTube experience, ratings and feedback have been overwhelmingly positive. We'd be more than happy to include advertising but need Google to provide us access to the necessary APIs. In light of Larry Page's comments today calling for more interoperability and less negativity, we look forward to solving this matter together for our mutual customers."
but larry page was saying at google io saying “we should be building great things that don't exist not focus on petty wars." it's like he's a politician. say what the public wants to hear but do the exact opposite when it comes to microsoft needing the tools to follow your own companies TOS.
62. juanyunis (Posts: 72; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
I read somewhere a long time ago, that microsoft was making a bad move with android, i believe they are getting $5 per android device i guess this is something involved in providing support to the microsoft platform. They should make a deal, microsoft stops getting money from android activations and google provide full services for them.
38. sks1969 (Posts: 41; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)
Totally agree, this article does not put the facts correctly. I used to read comments and articles out here, but lately I have stopped because of this reason.
32. papss (Posts: 2879; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Could you imagine if M$ blocked all google owned programs on windows desktop? Just saying
33. jromy (Posts: 110; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
Well, if Windows 8 wasn't enough to drive people away from MS then that would definitely do it...just saying.
36. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
dount it,people dont buy windows 8 to use googles services
your thinking of the google fanboys who are to stuck on one company, the general public wouldnt be that affected. in fact if microsoft gave even better intergration to there own services most wouldnt miss anything google offer
not saying what google offers arent good but holding google up as this saint is getting old. there half of this problem.
46. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Long live, Big Up to LINUX® FTW™
63. juanyunis (Posts: 72; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
That's your opinion, but when i was working with Windows, i used a lot of google services, including gmail, google search engine, youtube, news, images, talk.
And to be honest, that's not only me i know a lot of people that are in the same position.
34. jromy (Posts: 110; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
Everyone made fun whenf Netflix said that blackberry users are not enough to make an app worthwhile on that platform...this is pretty much the same as much as MS fanboys would like to differ.
37. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
actually you will find it was the android fanboys ripping into bb more then anyone else
44. jromy (Posts: 110; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
mmm..I don't know, there was a lot of MS guys saying how they are going to the top and steping on BB on their way or something...and apple guys, well, being apple guys you can imagine.
45. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
yet you turn a blind eye to the android fanboys slating everything not android and wanting others to die out
the worst kind they are, can you name the ms guys seeing as theres lots
47. freebee269 (Posts: 486; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
the funny part of jromy's 1st comment was "ms fanboys". i'm just curious, how does he know they were ms fanboys? do they have a title next to their name saying ms fanboy? seems like alot of assuming to me. and you know what they say about assumptions.
49. jromy (Posts: 110; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
I don't know about titles, but most of them keep referring to MS as daddy and how you don't mess with MS. I can almost hear them snapping their fingers in a Z formation...and if they make comments about how MS could destroy google and stuff like that, what else can I call them?
50. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
just name them or link to the articles where these comments are
56. jromy (Posts: 110; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
Just check the previous article about this app, you can find even more childish comments about Ms going to the top and no needing google etc etc...
59. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
no no no you said they were saying stuff like ''dont mess with ms'' and referring to ms as daddy
if your counting comment 8 as everyone....really one comment means ms fans everywhere lol please
also why arent you pointing your finger at the google fanboys that defend them all the time?
you want a real answer look at comments 1 and 2 they sum it up and are unbiased
51. freebee269 (Posts: 486; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
hhmm, i'm with chaoticrazor on this one, i dont recall the "ms is daddy" comments. and now you're assuming that ms fanboys are gay with your "snapping their fingers in a z formation" comment. keep posting, watching you dig this hole is entertaining.
58. jromy (Posts: 110; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
Mmm...i imagined them snapping their fingers because they believed they had made a witty and smart remark...but I suppose you can also take it like that, in which case you're wrong, that's not how I meant it.
48. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 753; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
I've yet to meet an MS fanboy just Nokia fanboys simply because MS would be nothing in the mobile world without them.
MS has some funny commercials but MS is all sizzle and no steak and this Youtube app stupidity just proves how petty they are. I just wish Nokia would get the Memo so they can start pushing back and making other OS phones such as Android and hopefully Ubuntu when it's released.
52. freebee269 (Posts: 486; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
so by your logic, samsung should get the memo and make an ubuntu phone right? lg should be making a windows phone also right? heck, everyone that doesnt make an android windows jola firefox or ubuntu phone should get the memo?
53. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 753; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
1) Your taking one comment that I made and applying it nonsensically. That's like saying because I said Nokia should make an Android phone then the US did right in invading Iraq. If your going to use logic then use it right.
2) Android is the top selling OS in the market worldwide. Samsung makes W8 phones. Why should Nokia maintain en exclusivity if MS doesn't share that with them? HTC proved that they can dip into market with a solid phone with the release of the HTC ONE. There's no reason why a Nokia Lumia 920 series Android phone couldn't do the same especially with the Carl Zeiss PureView technology.