Microsoft to send out update to fix 80188309 error that prevents Windows Phone 8 users from updating
0. phoneArena 19 Apr 2014, 17:42 posted on
Microsoft has admitted that there is a problem that is preventing some Windows Phone 8 users from updating to the Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview. What the update does download on the handset, the update won't open and cites error 80188309 as the reason. Some Windows Phone 8 owners are stating that they faced the same issue when the GDR3 update was first pushed out, and that the update will have to be fixed for certain models...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Slowly, inexorably, relentlessly, unstoppably, Windows Phone is being turned into the same mess that is desktop Windows.
3. sip1995 (Posts: 1117; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
LMAO....they fix the bug, what's your problem ?
25. MR-H- (Posts: 116; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
Cause it has no major apps and games.
They take years to bring updates.
30. dorian827 (Posts: 131; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
Major Apps or Games?
People always use the app market for a problem. 75% barely search for apps they dont use on a daily basis with iPhone or Android.
Facebook, Vine, WhatsApp, Twitter, Pandora, Chrome, Opera, File Manager, Angry Birds, Instagram, Fruit Ninja, Email, etc.
Most downloaded apps tell you clearly what people use most often, never nothing extraordinary
8. elitewolverine (Posts: 2614; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
beta non consumer version of windows and it has a bug? Someone call the horse races, I am feeling lucky!
Tell me how that mighty droid is doing with bugs...how long has kitkat been out? what version of kitkat we on already?
Let me know how millions of s3 owners were screwed with a 4.3 update that took months to fix on a consumer release build.
9. sip1995 (Posts: 1117; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Hey take it easy buddy.....please this time don't start fighting again (i'm talking to ALL ios+wp+android users).
21. sprockkets (Posts: 1453; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Where is it saying it is beta?
Well, I guess it is OK, since people are trying to update a phone with a generic update vs the way it should be, phone specific.
26. MR-H- (Posts: 116; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
Who cares and no one cares, there's XDA and rooting options for them.
But WP you don't have this. Fragments is WP.
15. akki20892 (Posts: 3741; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Not mess, everything is not perfect. Try to see real thing.
19. DCSeerIvan (Posts: 35; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
Thats why they make updates. Every OS has their own flaws. You should know that.
20. Dastrix (unregistered)
2. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
... And the haters comments have begun...Sigh!
4. sip1995 (Posts: 1117; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
At least Microsoft send an update to fix the bugs, unlike SOME others.
28. MR-H- (Posts: 116; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
What good is the update when it's still 5 years behind stone days....?
You're saying others don't send updates but only MS does? "really" ...?
6. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1555; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
The only way haters of competitor platforms (including ios) feel better about themselves .
27. MR-H- (Posts: 116; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
All Android users here.
WP is closed and very restricted.
WP is milestone slow and well behind Android.
31. dorian827 (Posts: 131; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
These are facts, but consider these things.
1. How long did it take for Android to get to its current level of marketshare, devices, etc?
2. Restrictive and Closed, how? Be specific
I have been an Android user for years and years and now with Windows Phone.
7. sip1995 (Posts: 1117; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Microsoft even created an app named "Diagnostics"http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/diagnostics/93a56
0c9-1b50-41d1-b605-431ef28b7e80so users can find if there any issues and send the info to Microsoft to solve the problem with a future update.
10. timezone (Posts: 87; Member since: 16 Jun 2013)
I was able to update and enjoying it with one big exception. On the Nokia 925 I cannot hear the person on the other end of a call unless they are on speaker phone. The person on the other end can hear me. Has anyone seen this issue?
If I do a hard reset does the OS return to the original ROM version or does it keep the latest OS version?
17. elitewolverine (Posts: 2614; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
I have a 925 and do not have this issue. Try a soft reset first. Volume down + Power till nokia comes up on the screen.
It will not uninstall the OS version as far as I am aware of, meaning it will be 8.1 but without updates to hotfixs that the preview app will allow (so download the app again). But it will fix the issue if it is a driver bug during the install of your device. Do you have any 3rd party apps that were not stock that uses the audio? In terms of like music...if so uninstall those first. See if that helps.
12. freebee269 (Posts: 529; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Hard reset will put it to factory settings of wp8.1. It will be like you just got it from the store but with wp8.1.
14. Liveitup (Posts: 1739; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Now that's called customer service, keep it real, I respect that.
29. MR-H- (Posts: 116; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
So all WP users were dieing for Androids specs, knowing WP is 5 years behind, but still using the platform,,,,? How so sad.
18. mr.techdude (Posts: 565; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
An update to fix an update......terrible.
22. AfterShock (Posts: 3697; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
All is wars an such aside, one has to feel for those affected by this.
It sucks to be on the verge of something good an to have it blocked by a little glitch.
It'll get fixed we all know it, and as tech peeps, we of all different an the same OS, feel for you guys.
23. Ikechukwu (Posts: 153; Member since: 03 Oct 2011)
Imagine people here complaining about a developer preview that was bound to have tiny issues here and there!!! Meanwhile I have to wait weeks and months to get updates here **Clears THROAT** You know where am talking about :)
24. timezone (Posts: 87; Member since: 16 Jun 2013)
Many questions - first to Ikechukwu, I was not complaining about the beta. I was asking for assistance. Also trying to find out if others experienced a similar issue. I will say these are not real beta versions like in the early years. By the time the "beta" is released to the public they are very close to RTM versions. I still understand it is not the final release and there can be issues.
I believe I was asked for more info. Very simply I make a call and cannot hear the person at the other end. If I use the speaker phone I can hear the person at the other end.
To another question all my apps are from the store. I did not side load any apps. I did update the Nokia beta a few months ago. That would have updated to the final release
Maybe I need the hard reset to fix the previous advanced upload. Aftershock, well said. We may all talk trash about other OS's but when someone has a tech issue we are one and should help one another.
32. timezone (Posts: 87; Member since: 16 Jun 2013)
FYI - I did a hard reset and it didn't install to the OS on the ROM. It kept 8.1 and didn't fix my issue. I was able to reinstall all of my applications. I did it first as a new phone with nothing installed.
Another FYI - There were rumors Weave could be removed from the store because of copyright issues with the name. I was unable to reinstall the App. I hope they fix this issue. I miss Weave.